What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lather tested scraps for my 2 and 3 week old soaps, and ordered fun containers for body butter, lip balm, fragrance sprays, a few supplies for said things. Also, thought up a few recipes for a few things, did some research, tweaked some of the recipes, thought about how my soaps were lathering, and tweaked numbers on some planned recipes.

Did you use a color stabilizer! BB OMH FO will turn brown or at least tan. Just curious. Love the look.
Thank you. 😁 No stabilizer but I only put the FO in the brown colors which was cocoa powder. Will see what happens!

And good photography skills. Me...i’m like, i guess this dish towel looks clean enough lol
Thank you! I’m learning and improving my photography skills as I go. I use my iPad for all the pictures. I have a really great camera, but I prefer to just use the iPad.

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and View attachment 49917I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁
That is exceptional, what clean lines! Outstanding

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and View attachment 49917I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁
This is SOOOO beautiful! I keep coming back to look at this soap. What is the name of the technique you used? I'd like to study up on it on youtube.

This is SOOOO beautiful! I keep coming back to look at this soap. What is the name of the technique you used? I'd like to study up on it on youtube.
Thank you! I don’t know if it’s got a name. I just sort of made it up as I went. I started pouring alternating colors on top of each other from one corner. Then I switched to the the corner diagonal to the first one. Then did the same with the other two corners, and then poured along the long sides of my mold in the center. I used funnel pitchers but I imagine squeeze bottles would be even better.

Definitely not winning any design contests this weekend lol. I used up the rest of my candy cane with an ITP.

I used winter white for the white...like 12 tsp. Finally gave up on that and added a bit of leftover TD from the day before, which accounts for the few scattered boogers. I didnt use batch oils for the mica, and was afraid of superfatting too much, so i just eyeballed some sw almond until it got gooey enough to mix lol. Maybe some Kaolin woulda helped a bit.

I really hate that winter white, almost as much as TD, maybe more. And its got a really weird fluffy texture that is difficult to disperse in oil.

There is a little bit of angry rose in there too

I dont hate the design. It looks like a Van Gogh lol.
B79651BF-1570-4878-95F8-D376BBC78F6F.jpeg

I think this would be nicer for Valentines than xmas.

Definitely not winning any design contests this weekend lol. I used up the rest of my candy cane with an ITP.

I used winter white for the white...like 12 tsp. Finally gave up on that and added a bit of leftover TD from the day before, which accounts for the few scattered boogers. I didnt use batch oils for the mica, and was afraid of superfatting too much, so i just eyeballed some sw almond until it got gooey enough to mix lol. Maybe some Kaolin woulda helped a bit.

I really hate that winter white, almost as much as TD, maybe more. And its got a really weird fluffy texture that is difficult to disperse in oil.

There is a little bit of angry rose in there too

I dont hate the design. It looks like a Van Gogh lol.
View attachment 49962
I think this would be nicer for Valentines than xmas.
They look great and I see a little heart in that middle one! I use a water dispersible TD and I don’t have any problems with it for the most part. Keep trying with it. I like it much better than the white micas for whitening. Get yourself a little mini badger paint mixer. I LOVE mine for mixing colors. Works beautifully.
https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02

They look great and I see a little heart in that middle one! I use a water dispersible TD and I don’t have any problems with it for the most part. Keep trying with it. I like it much better than the white micas for whitening. Get yourself a little mini badger paint mixer. I LOVE mine for mixing colors. Works beautifully.
https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Co-121-Paint/dp/B000BROV02
thank you!! I really question whether or not i actually have oil dispersable. I got it from WSP. I did try it in water before and it was nice and smooth...but i got crazy glycerin rivers. But then again i was soaping different back then. Im gonna try a batch with mixing it in water again.

I have a little frother attachment, but i cant figure out which one of my do-dads it attaches to lol. I will check out your mixer

About to prep for a big run of pull throughs. Just got a set of snowflake plates! Wonder if any will actually look like snowflakes... pull throughs gonna do, what a pull throughs gonna do. Pleased with these fairy poops! Will post more in the gallery. Love the GITD mica!!!

Attachments

• A59659F8-C156-430D-BEEA-F807A1643FF9.jpeg
    A59659F8-C156-430D-BEEA-F807A1643FF9.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 22
Found out he doesn’t use bar soap at the sink, only liquid....liquid DAWN dish detergent!!
I yell at my guys for this all the time!

I made the first batch of soap yesterday, things went flawlessly, so I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Cut the soap today and had to pinch myself again. I'm making the second batch after my lye solution cools a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_114509.jpg
    IMG_20200927_114509.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200927_114503.jpg
    IMG_20200927_114503.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 24
So, I did not just one, but TWO new soapy things today! I poured a peacock soap (which I have not previously done) using rice and rice water! Make that 3, I also changed my lye solution to 33%! The batter behaved beautifully despite the rice/lye solution looking like a giant glob of gelatin :-0 I am looking forward to the unmolding!

Attachments

• 20200927_102414.jpg
    20200927_102414.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200927_125149.jpg
    20200927_125149.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200927_125322.jpg
    20200927_125322.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 15

I made the first batch of soap yesterday, things went flawlessly, so I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Cut the soap today and had to pinch myself again. I'm making the second batch after my lye solution cools a bit.

Those are amazing! What is the scent?

I was going to make soap today but decided against it. Instead I took some photos of my soap... some are ok, some are better. I have to hone this skill.

Attachments

• Coffee2.jpg
    Coffee2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Colorful dinos.jpg
    Colorful dinos.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Lavender2.jpg
    Lavender2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 21
  • tea tree calendula.jpg
    tea tree calendula.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Thunder & Lightening.jpg
    Thunder & Lightening.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Pink Peony.jpg
    Pink Peony.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 27
I was going to make soap today but decided against it. Instead I took some photos of my soap... some are ok, some are better. I have to hone this skill.
You photos skills are pretty great! Im like dish towl, plop a pineapple in front of it and send to my sister to clean up lol. She loves when i do that lol. These are pre-Julie, post-Julie lol

Attachments

• 0832CBB4-8170-4FEB-800B-1511C64CFFD2.jpeg
    0832CBB4-8170-4FEB-800B-1511C64CFFD2.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 5E9A5D8B-7F67-412B-9E32-78C22ED60220.jpeg
    5E9A5D8B-7F67-412B-9E32-78C22ED60220.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I just wanted to use it as I’ve got a half gallon that I’m not gonna drink. Lol.
Definitely use it up however you can! My husband looks at me funny when I say, DON'T throw out .... (fill in the blank) I actually yelled at him when he tossed out my buttermilk. How dare him touch my Buttermilk!?! Same goes for sour milk (pancakes), although that never happens. But buttermilk - that's mine - he doesn't even drink the stuff, so he should never even touch the container to begin with.

Those are gorgeous!

:washingdishes:

I stopped the use of dish soap as hand soap in my house by putting bar soap at my kitchen sink. I used to get really irritated when Hubby would use dish soap to wash his hands in the kitchen. Well, I used to get irritated when he washed his hands at the kitchen sink at all. I don't like it when he comes in from the garage with motor oil or whatever and contaminates my kitchen sink. I prefer he go in the bathroom to wash that kind of grime off his hands. Eventually he did learn that well enough, but for other kitchen-appropriate hand washing the bar soap was the only thing that made him stop using dishwashing liquid. Also when guests come over and want to wash their hands, all they see is the bar soap & not dish soap, because I keep that in a re-purposed Noxzema pump bottle & naturally they don't think that is for washing their hands.

My soapy thing today: Follow up on an order for Zinc Oxide. I have a couple of things I want to use it in, not just soap.

Latest posts

Back