What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I did not just one, but TWO new soapy things today! I poured a peacock soap (which I have not previously done) using rice and rice water! Make that 3, I also changed my lye solution to 33%! The batter behaved beautifully despite the rice/lye solution looking like a giant glob of gelatin :-0 I am looking forward to the unmolding!

Used white mica today instead of TD. Not my darkest EO blend, but still had some citrus. It lightened it’s up quite a bit! And I could’ve used a little more. Still happy with how smooth and easy it worked!
also, my fairy/unicorn poops!🦄 💩🧚🏻

Yay!! more poop! Please post pics when you un-mold them :)

On Monday I ordered oils, and they were delivered today, also got my Lotion Crafter order (also placed on Monday) as well, so I'm set for the weekend. Last night I sat down and calculated embed and layer quantities for a soap that I designed three or four YEARS ago and have never worked up the courage to do it. Well, my sister in law got wind of my idea and told me if I make it she has pre-sold five bars, and another customer told me she would buy a batch... so I did the scary math (that really was my hold up), made the shapers needed, and I'm starting down the rabbit hole tonight. Hopefully by weekend end I will have 18 bars that look just like my picture...

I have a few custom orders to work, as well as tinkering with some lotions and potions. Might clean my house.

Today I went through my inventory to make a shopping list for soaps that I "need" to make. :p I'm trying my hand at liquid soap (my kids have an aversion to my bars of soap?!?!?) and a small batch of tooth soap to experiment with (recipe I found here)! I'm so suspicious of the tooth soap, I think I have gotten my mouth washed out with soap too many times as a child! But I'm so determined to have all my body products homemade.... just toothpaste and deodorant to go! While researching and making my list I made some zucchini and banana bread. The new recipe I found for the zucchini bread said to line my bread pans with parchment paper. Never done that before... I felt like I was lining a soap mold & my bread batter stayed where it was suppose to, baked perfectly and cleaned up so much easier! I learned all kinds of new stuff today!!!!

Today I went through my inventory to make a shopping list for soaps that I "need" to make. :p I'm trying my hand at liquid soap (my kids have an aversion to my bars of soap?!?!?) and a small batch of tooth soap to experiment with (recipe I found here)! I'm so suspicious of the tooth soap, I think I have gotten my mouth washed out with soap too many times as a child! But I'm so determined to have all my body products homemade.... just toothpaste and deodorant to go! While researching and making my list I made some zucchini and banana bread. The new recipe I found for the zucchini bread said to line my bread pans with parchment paper. Never done that before... I felt like I was lining a soap mold & my bread batter stayed where it was suppose to, baked perfectly and cleaned up so much easier! I learned all kinds of new stuff today!!!!

My 23 year old robotics doctorate student called me asking why his hands were so raw and chapped. I‘ve kept him supplied with his favorite soaps all throughout college, so thought he’d developed a sensitivity to something. Found out he doesn’t use bar soap at the sink, only liquid....liquid DAWN dish detergent!!

ETA: Yeah, told him to STOP. :shakinghead: He's doing better now.

Last edited:
I just poured my candy cane soap. I got nervous about the fragrance because the usage rate was 1-5%, like normally it just says 5, like thats the max. I used about 2.5 lol. We will see about this one.

plus i thought i swore off TD. But i tried 2 different white micas that i am miserable about the whiteness, and i really want this to have white white. So i mixed the td before i went to work this afternoon to hopefully help it marinate. I mixed and shook it so long today that i was almost late for work...how would that be for an excuse LOL. Out of the bottle it still looked like it had boogers. We will see about that one too.

And i have been thinking about a design for two days for the candy cane smell. I got sick of trying to decide, so i went with a secret feather hanger swirl. Not really christmasy. Maybe it will look like a poinsettia Lol. Shoulda just went with an ITP and called it a day lol.

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and
7382B1D7-4927-4B94-ABFA-84D24DCD5994.jpeg
I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and View attachment 49917I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁
I absolutely love that design!

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and View attachment 49917I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁
That's gorgeous! Out of curiousity, what does the almond bring to the table?

I just poured my candy cane soap. I got nervous about the fragrance because the usage rate was 1-5%, like normally it just says 5, like thats the max. I used about 2.5 lol. We will see about this one.

plus i thought i swore off TD. But i tried 2 different white micas that i am miserable about the whiteness, and i really want this to have white white. So i mixed the td before i went to work this afternoon to hopefully help it marinate. I mixed and shook it so long today that i was almost late for work...how would that be for an excuse LOL. Out of the bottle it still looked like it had boogers. We will see about that one too.

And i have been thinking about a design for two days for the candy cane smell. I got sick of trying to decide, so i went with a secret feather hanger swirl. Not really christmasy. Maybe it will look like a poinsettia Lol. Shoulda just went with an ITP and called it a day lol.
Non nano Zinc Oxide gives a beautiful white and no glycerine rivers

That's gorgeous! Out of curiousity, what does the almond bring to the table?
From the few things I’ve read it’s said to help with lather and creaminess but I’ll have to see. I just wanted to use it as I’ve got a half gallon that I’m not gonna drink. Lol. At the very least I figure it’s an interesting label appeal. The initial lather with the brand new piece I made yesterday was really nice.

I spent most of my morning watching videos to try to recreate @Jersey Girl pretty soap. When i finally decided that i just cant lol....

Anticipating that im not going to be happy with last nights pour, i used up the rest of My candy cane FO and did an Itp swirl with angry rose, white, and trial by fire. Dont ask how the white went LOL.

Still gotta cut last nights...tonight or tomorrow morning.

Back