What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just barely enough time to cut before I have an appointment. Almost waited too long. The sound my poor wire cutter made was VERY spooky! Just in time for Halloween. The yellow and greens glow in the dark! Yay! The busy one is a double plate pull through. First time doing that. Thanks for the idea @glendam ! And I swear sometimes the end slices have the best design of the whole loaf!
With the pull through tool there is a surprise inside each cut! Love them. ♥️

I made another batch of snowman you know. I have people with dibs on 4 of the last 5 when they are ready.

Just barely enough time to cut before I have an appointment. Almost waited too long. The sound my poor wire cutter made was VERY spooky! Just in time for Halloween. The yellow and greens glow in the dark! Yay! The busy one is a double plate pull through. First time doing that. Thanks for the idea @glendam ! And I swear sometimes the end slices have the best design of the whole loaf!
Those are stunning!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes back!
Here is how my test batch turned out. It was supposed to be an ITP swirl but due to the heavy trace the oranges did not flow into the yellow in the pouring vessel. Still, it turned out better than I expected! The scent is 'sunshine on my mind' from Nurture. I love it, but its very mild even with 1 oz ppo.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 16
It's purple :)
Which leads me to ask - why can't I ever get my purples to be a nice bright purple? Why are they always greyish?
View attachment 49831
The opposite of purple is yellow, so if your soap usually has a yellow hue it will dull your purple accordingly. Your blue was less affected, but there is an undertone of green to it (blue + yellow). Your red didn't shift too far orange, so that's awesome, and I'm sure orange, yellow, and green are brighter for it. Your soap is beautiful! And it definitely still reads rainbow when you see the full bar.

It's purple :)
Which leads me to ask - why can't I ever get my purples to be a nice bright purple? Why are they always greyish?
View attachment 49831
I think they look great. Purple can be tough but I’ve had good luck with a mica called Guilty Grape from Mad Micas. I don’t know if they ship to NZ though. Here are a couple I used it in. Incidentally, The one with pointy layers, Persephone’s Kiss used a blackberry mica from NS in the bottom layer and I was disappointed that that one turned gray. Top layer is guilty grape.

Made these yesterday. Totally miscalculated the amount of batter for my NS 2.5lb mold with silicon liner and dividers. Had way too much. I should have overfilled for the Taiwan swirl or scraped the dividers carefully as I removed them as much of the batter stuck to the liner when I removed them leaving a one inch space to the top of the mold. I had my little 2 Lb mold on hand to plop the remaining batter in and ended up with some 3 oz soaps that I guess will be good for hand soaps.

Attachments

• 78E32627-B6EA-4627-ABAF-AF8D493D6341.jpeg
    78E32627-B6EA-4627-ABAF-AF8D493D6341.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 19
  • FAADAB54-9DAB-4DED-9ACC-9015573C6D77.jpeg
    FAADAB54-9DAB-4DED-9ACC-9015573C6D77.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 16
  • 2C32C868-0736-42B0-87E4-B8482960AEF3.jpeg
    2C32C868-0736-42B0-87E4-B8482960AEF3.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
  • C809171A-5D11-4AEA-A418-AF551BE594BB.jpeg
    C809171A-5D11-4AEA-A418-AF551BE594BB.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 3D300EEB-884E-45AE-B820-2CC1FFB95011.jpeg
    3D300EEB-884E-45AE-B820-2CC1FFB95011.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 24
Thanks to my DH who set up my e-commerce site, I got my biz registered, and ins. It’s still improving and growing, and it’s mostly just to friends, but something good came out of this really hard time. I’m super grateful! And, I really love this group! 💙🚿🧼🛁💙

Attachments

• 8F9AEC06-B797-4486-BFB5-38D6CE0494E3.jpeg
    8F9AEC06-B797-4486-BFB5-38D6CE0494E3.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 1CB52AB6-F9D7-47BA-973F-05E760AC59C6.jpeg
    1CB52AB6-F9D7-47BA-973F-05E760AC59C6.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 20
Omg I have SO many soaps in circulation! It’s kind of ridiculous, and fun. Currently 7 in the shower, 2 at each of 3 sinks, and 2 in the bath tub.
How many soaps are you actively using?
You don’t want to know...lol. 12 just in the shower. 😱
ETA...and thanks to all the amazing things I’ve learned here about formulating soaps and longevity...they are lasting forever! Curse you all! 😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
I had a soapy nightmare! Dreamed I was mixing lye solution and there were big chunks of salt ( the size of ice cubes) in the mixture that weren't dissolving so I put my BARE HAND in to scoop them out! Then realised what I had done and quickly rushed to the sink and ran my hand under cold water for ages. But the next day I saw a big hollow in my wrist that had been burned out by the lye - I mustn't have rinsed it properly. Anyway - needless to say I was glad that i woke up and realised none of it was real.

I had a soapy nightmare! Dreamed I was mixing lye solution and there were big chunks of salt ( the size of ice cubes) in the mixture that weren't dissolving so I put my BARE HAND in to scoop them out! Then realised what I had done and quickly rushed to the sink and ran my hand under cold water for ages. But the next day I saw a big hollow in my wrist that had been burned out by the lye - I mustn't have rinsed it properly. Anyway - needless to say I was glad that i woke up and realised none of it was real.
Now I'm going to have nightmares! Yikes-kers!

I have absolutely had soap nightmares, but fortunately my brain blurs things it doesn't like. This isn't always handy, but in this case it's nice.

I’ve definitely had soapy dreams but I don’t think they were bad ones. I rarely remember my dreams. That was a pretty intense dream you had there though! It’s amazing the things that go through our brains when we are supposed to be resting. 😂

Not to get off the soap subject but have you looked into LDN low dose naltrexone or diet modification for the psoriasis issue?
LDN is not a viable option, nor recommended in my case. Re: diet: I already do not consume many of the things warned against (for the past 21 years & 31 year for another). I suppose there are some things I could still avoid, but not just now. I'm fairly convinced the exacerbation is stress induced. Nor am I a candidate for light therapy as it is ineffective on the scalp & a couple other areas.

My dermatologist gave me a double-sided printed page of therapies used for treating psoriasis, which did include that on the list. Doc's going to put me on Humera provided blood test results so indicate. I am hoping that this will prevent outbreaks as the topicals are just chasing the outbreaks and do nothing to really prevent them.

Soapy Stuff:
Today my Bergamot EO came today, plus more citronella. I got some more soap savers in yesterday's delivery. Every now & then, I like to put one in with the soap I give away, but I also plan to build a little custom-fit 'Lift' to keep all my bath products up off the shower shelf this time. Our shower's built-in shelves are so irregularly shaped nothing really fits for putting my products on to lift them up & out of the water, and mold tends to grow under my shampoo bottle and so forth. So I am going to piece together some soap savers (cut-to-fit as needed) to provide better drainage. Sure, mold will still grow under the soap savers eventually, but I'd rather clean & disinfect the soap savers less often than the bottle bottoms each time I touch them. At least that's my plan.

My Brambleberry orders came! And I've whipped up a tiny batch of body butter to celebrate, with 24% each mango and she's butters, 10% each Argan, Babassu, Jojoba, and Rosehip seed oils, 6% chamomile and rose extracts, and under 4% BB Yacht Club. Threw in a few drops of green/blue food coloring for a sea green because I could.
Yes, I forgot the kitchen sink in there, but it's still marvelous! And no, that's not soapy, but now I have the ingredients for a triple butter soap, oatmeal honey soap, and a few other schemes.

Used white mica today instead of TD. Not my darkest EO blend, but still had some citrus. It lightened it’s up quite a bit! And I could’ve used a little more. Still happy with how smooth and easy it worked!
also, my fairy/unicorn poops!🦄 💩🧚🏻

Attachments

• 0525880F-B5BC-46B3-83DA-36D7D8698330.jpeg
    0525880F-B5BC-46B3-83DA-36D7D8698330.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5
  • C0EABA1E-FF16-4896-B57B-CCA6174B2C32.jpeg
    C0EABA1E-FF16-4896-B57B-CCA6174B2C32.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1E56A83C-4D3B-4575-8B22-CDD3BE980A16.jpeg
    1E56A83C-4D3B-4575-8B22-CDD3BE980A16.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 21
Back