What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some pink camo dinosaurs today... I think they may be a good seller for Christmas so may as well get the girls into it as well.

I also cut my last soap... here is the progression: photo 1 is what I was going for; photo 2 was my first attempt (5th soap I made) and 3rd photo is the most recent. Pencil line not perfect but I think there is definitely an improvement. Unhappy with the mold which was advertised as tall & skinny (not very tall) but I'm used to my homemade one that is over 4" tall.

Any suggestions for naming this soap - I've never been able to think of anything creative for this particular one... thanks!

I love the look of the first one, although up close # 3 is pretty close. If that 3rd one was in a T&S mold, I'd not like the result either. Maybe they accidentally mailed you the wrong mold. Since you already used it, it's probably too late to return it, but I'd surely post a review including that photo to show that what you got does not create a tall & skinny shaped soap.

I have been thinking of making another pine tar soap, only this time I want it to be a much harder & long lasting bar than my first one. I do love the odor of the pine tar I used, so I'm glad I still have that. When I bought it I was in California and because that trip I was flying commercial airline, I mailed it home to myself. From what I read fragrance can vary a lot among different brands of pine tar out there, so I'm glad I found one that I like right off the bat.

Anyway, I keep returning to this idea of making a harder longer lasting pine tar soap. My psoriasis has taken off exponentially since this pandemic and my doctors don't want to put me on systemic medications that would compromise my immune system, which I totally agree with, but it means putting up with this stuff all over my body when it used to only affect my scalp and only a couple of other spots to a lesser degree. Now it's driving me batty sometimes with how bad it's gotten. (The topical prescription meds do help, but I am looking hoping & longing for the day when my skin goes back to normal.)

So I need to get this soap formulated and made soon so it has time to cure and I can start using it. The pine tar soap I made before is really dwindling away fast; at least I have a lot of it still. I kind of went overboard making as much as I did, but I do really like how it soothes my skin.
Not to get off the soap subject but have you looked into LDN low dose naltrexone or diet modification for the psoriasis issue?

I went to Walmart today for the first time since the pandemic began and bought a metal hair pick to try my hand at a peacock swirl soap! I am hoping to have time to pour said soap tomorrow! 🥰

I love the look of the first one, although up close # 3 is pretty close. If that 3rd one was in a T&S mold, I'd not like the result either. Maybe they accidentally mailed you the wrong mold. Since you already used it, it's probably too late to return it, but I'd surely post a review including that photo to show that what you got does not create a tall & skinny shaped soap.

I believe I didn't really look at the measurements of the mold - just assumed it was as advertised. It's really more square than tall & skinny. And the batter went to the top of the mold. Live and learn.

@Misschief “it's time for a hot bath and a nice glass of wine”

or two! That’s a lot of work!
It was indeed but you know what? Walking into my soap room and seeing all that soap on the racks? It feels SO darned good! Now, for the next couple of weeks, I can concentrate on some of my B&B products.

And, yeah, glass #2 is in hand. ;)

Made a large batch of OMH last night and cut it this morning. This morning, I've made two out of the five soaps I want to make today. First one was Lavender Goat Milk and the second is Merlot Madness, made with a local red wine. Triple Rice, Pumpkin Cream, and more poop soap coming up.

I have a lot of market dates coming up and I'm woefully under stocked so I'm scrambling to make more in time for the November/December markets.
Just poured my snowman poop a few hours ago. 😂 The possibilities are endless.

No kidding, right? You will post pics, right?
Yes, I did them in white with a light blue swirl but then at the base they are light blue with white swirl. My hope is it will look like the snow poop melting.. twisted right? when they are out of the molds, a light mist of rubbing alcohol and some snowflake glitter.

I went out, bought a package of lard, all while unaware of the fact that I needed more coconut oil. Lucky for me I was using full fat coconut milk for this endeavor but I still had to compensate for the missing coconut oil.

I cut Fantasia. The flavor is Black Raspberry Vanilla from NS. It smells so much better in soap than OOB. Before it smelled like cough medicine lol. I am happy with how the swirl turned out. Again, i wish the white was whiter. This is winter white from NS. This is 6 full tsp of white mica to about 1000ml batter. I used olive oil from the batch. I think i am going to have to stick with TD for a good white, or maybe a combo of both.

Attachments

• BF3ABBDD-BF97-4570-A19D-E43EB2F6F6DE.jpeg
    BF3ABBDD-BF97-4570-A19D-E43EB2F6F6DE.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 27
ok, I took one out of the mold, took the 2nd one out and it was too soft and kept a chunk in the mold. im too impatient and im going to have to put the mold somewhere I cant see it.

Here is the one that came out well. there is snow glitter on it. Hard to capture the actual blue in these in photos but its very pretty (for poop) in person.

snowpoop (1).jpg

Made my second batch today - Very dull compared to the creations shown here - Snowman Poop!!! 😂🤣😂😅😎😎😎😅😂🤣

I forgot to add the sodium lactate so it’ll be interesting to see how much softer it is and I wanted to add fragrance. Didn’t check how much I’d need and had about a quarter of the amount needed to scent my loaf. 😞 Never mind. One lives and one learns.

Am thinking that maybe I need to keep a soaping journal. 🙃

ok, I took one out of the mold, took the 2nd one out and it was too soft and kept a chunk in the mold. im too impatient and im going to have to put the mold somewhere I cant see it.

Here is the one that came out well. there is snow glitter on it. Hard to capture the actual blue in these in photos but its very pretty (for poop) in person.

View attachment 49735
Exactly what I would expect from a snowman...lovely! 😂

Made my second batch today - Very dull compared to the creations shown here - Snowman Poop!!! 😂🤣😂😅😎😎😎😅😂🤣

I forgot to add the sodium lactate so it’ll be interesting to see how much softer it is and I wanted to add fragrance. Didn’t check how much I’d need and had about a quarter of the amount needed to scent my loaf. 😞 Never mind. One lives and one learns.

Am thinking that maybe I need to keep a soaping journal. 🙃
Absolutely, yes! In whatever way shape or form you can manage, and in whatever way makes sense to your brain, keep a Journal. Keep track of what you did, how things went, any changes to the recipe, and anything else you can remember about what happened that did it didn't go according to plan. Check back and make notes on how it performs over time, both according to yourself and others. Your future self will thank you. And this goes doubly if your batches are spaced out over time, or if you make more soap than you need. You will not remember all the things, and it's amazing all the little things that can add up to big differences.

I cut Fantasia. The flavor is Black Raspberry Vanilla from NS. It smells so much better in soap than OOB. Before it smelled like cough medicine lol. I am happy with how the swirl turned out. Again, i wish the white was whiter. This is winter white from NS. This is 6 full tsp of white mica to about 1000ml batter. I used olive oil from the batch. I think i am going to have to stick with TD for a good white, or maybe a combo of both.
This is fantastic!! I love the dark purple, and I think the not-bright-white goes really well with the gold color. I love the creaminess of it!

I have supplies coming! But they're from Brambleberry, so I'll start soaping again in October.
Ok, I know this makes me sound like a "karen" but I emailed them after 7 business days of not hearing from them, told them many of my soaping friends (you guys LOL) have had the same bad experiences, and told them about my experience with them, and if their prices were so high they should at LEAST have better customer service!
Pretty much complained, but in a polite, slightly passive aggressive manner LOL and they shipped my order the next day and emailed me with a little apology and what have you. So it worked for me ;)... It may work for you. but of course, be kind, And hey! if they get more complaints, maybe they will work on fixing the issue!

Latest posts

Back