What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a couple of months since I've made any soap. (Too much medical stuff going on. Yikes!) But now that things are calming down, I am more than ready to get back to it! I spent some time this afternoon doing prep so I can make 2-3 small batches this weekend. Looking forward to it!

I shall name her Fantasia lol.

I screwed up the right side by trying to fix something. Decided to leave it alone after that. Its a drop swirl. Hopefully the colors go gold, purple, white. I went a little crazy though lol.

Smell is Black Rasberry Vanilla by nurture

colors are Winter White, FANTASIA, and King Tut. Nurture, Nurture, Mad Micas.

I want to see the inside now!

Attachments

• 45656ECB-F5DB-4FBF-A2AD-2D3BED6DDECB.jpeg
    45656ECB-F5DB-4FBF-A2AD-2D3BED6DDECB.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 24
Had an event at a wine bar last night and sold 40 bars! Very exciting. Today I'm working on my website and digging deeper into the Square app. The app and the online version are not syncing. Figured out how to send an invoice in order to ship an order. Probably won't use this feature much, though, because there's a service fee % attached to receiving a payment via an invoice. Although, my best friend suggested tacking the 3.3% service fee onto the order. Thoughts??

Need to fulfill a big order out-of-state and can't figure out how to add shipping cost to the app to include in the invoice, even though I selected the "Request shipping address" to the invoice. What the heck am I missing here??

Can't yet create posts in the General Business Forum because I do not have sufficient posts. Otherwise I would have stuck this question in there. :p

Other than that, I feel super antsy today and plan to make a larger batch of soap with a recipe using hemp seed oil that my testers LOVE. That's a good feeling. Also making another batch of lard soap with a different % of fats to compare the two.
Thats awesome about the wine bar! Congrats!!

I made soap curls soap.View attachment 49672
@linne1gi Another very pur-tee soap! I am so curious about this. Are the bars on the left, top, and right in the same position as your mold? Is one curl the same height as the mold? What does one plain curl look like, any chance for a pic? Great job.

The only soapy thing I did was receive my Brambleberry order which arrived in record time. I ordered holiday colored micas and scents and am under the gun to get my holiday soaps done. Can't wait.

Just put a big batch (21 bars) of Oatmeal Milk & Honey soap to bed. Well..... not exactly to bed. It got pretty warm pretty quick so I put it outside for now. At least there's some air movement out there and it's cooler than in the house. I think it's the closest I've ever gotten to ricing in all the years I've been making soap.

ETA: within half an hour of making it, it's already gelling and starting to crack so I have a fan blowing over it now. There's no room in my freezer or fridge for this mold. Yikes!

Two deliveries today. The one from MakeYourOwn (formerly SaveOnCitric) I ordered on Sept 9th. So 9 days from order placed to receipt. Seems a little slow for a FedEx delivery. But not too bad, I guess.

The one from WSP, I ordered on Sept 10th, so 8 days from order to delivery. My husband was home when this was delivered & the box was awful looking - dirty oil soaked into one corner of the box & part of another side & some on the bottom. He commented about it to the driver, who said it was sitting next to another box that did leak something. Still he opened it up to make sure everything inside was intact, which it was. Still I wish UPS deliveries would show up intact all the time; this is not even the 2nd or 3rd time this has happened with a UPS delivery.

Anyway, more stuff for soap to play with! Now I am wondering how long Bitter Creek takes to ship. I want to try out that Vanilla Stabilizer that everyone raves so much about.

I still have another cartful of stuff to order (elsewhere), but keep putting it off. Then I go back to re-evaluate & pare down, but end up adding even more; it's getting really big. Like when I go to the grocery store and get one of the half-size shopping carts, but fill it to overflowing (just did that this morning after dropping of my car for service.)

Second attempt at a landscape with a crescent moon embed and a scraped mountain range and hopefully a sunset looking sky. Thought I’d adjusted the amount of batter in the recipe, but it still came up short and not as full as I’d like. Trying to calculate the amount I scrape out and the amount I add with the embed is pretty mathy!
Hopefully next time it will be right.
Hopefully they look ok.
Sprinkled hologram bio glitter on top.
They’re on the heating pad.
And why in the heck does my crescent moon column mold not fit my loaf mold?! Proving to be a pain in the butt!

Super excited for my order of micas!!! Disappointed I didn’t read the use notes for my big ticket item of the 4 oz jar of silver holographic eco glitter.
“We recommend using silver holographic glitter on top of soap to give an iridescent rainbow shimmer. If used inside of soaps, it may be scratchy and it will definitely lose it's rainbow shine!”
Anyone else using this? It’s SUPER pretty!!! How do you use it? Any wins or fails, tips or tricks?
I have the Halo glitter and it is a bit chunky for inside soap but its very pretty on top. a little goes a long way

Then I go back to re-evaluate & pare down, but end up adding even more; it's getting really big. Like when I go to the grocery store and get one of the half-size shopping carts, but fill it to overflowing (just did that this morning after dropping of my car for service.)
Smack Laugh.gif
I know the feeling. I do that too!

I have the Halo glitter and it is a bit chunky for inside soap but its very pretty on top. a little goes a long way
I may have over done it this first time. Probably could have left some of the top of my soap showing. I think I was a crow in another life because I really like shiny things!
I was reading the comments on NS this morning, which is probably something I should do for any new product in the future. And, seems folks have good luck with it in MP. So I was thinking, I’m about to start playing with some already saponification soap dough. Couldn’t i mix it into that without it losing it’s sheen?

I have been thinking of making another pine tar soap, only this time I want it to be a much harder & long lasting bar than my first one. I do love the odor of the pine tar I used, so I'm glad I still have that. When I bought it I was in California and because that trip I was flying commercial airline, I mailed it home to myself. From what I read fragrance can vary a lot among different brands of pine tar out there, so I'm glad I found one that I like right off the bat.

Anyway, I keep returning to this idea of making a harder longer lasting pine tar soap. My psoriasis has taken off exponentially since this pandemic and my doctors don't want to put me on systemic medications that would compromise my immune system, which I totally agree with, but it means putting up with this stuff all over my body when it used to only affect my scalp and only a couple of other spots to a lesser degree. Now it's driving me batty sometimes with how bad it's gotten. (The topical prescription meds do help, but I am looking hoping & longing for the day when my skin goes back to normal.)

So I need to get this soap formulated and made soon so it has time to cure and I can start using it. The pine tar soap I made before is really dwindling away fast; at least I have a lot of it still. I kind of went overboard making as much as I did, but I do really like how it soothes my skin.

I may have over done it this first time. Probably could have left some of the top of my soap showing. I think I was a crow in another life because I really like shiny things!
I was reading the comments on NS this morning, which is probably something I should do for any new product in the future. And, seems folks have good luck with it in MP. So I was thinking, I’m about to start playing with some already saponification soap dough. Couldn’t i mix it into that without it losing it’s sheen?
If you knead it at the proper time and then keep it airtight for a few more days to make sure it's saponified, it might be ok. I wouldn't try mixing it in within 3 days, and if you could wait at least 5-7 that would be better. That said, MP is a bit different than soap, especially the clear stuff, so I'm not sure how the holo will react to bring surrounded by actual soap molecules. It would be an interesting experiment, certainly, and if you try it I'd love to see it.

2 week lather test for both my acceleration batch and Autumn Marble, and I am absolutely thrilled. I always make a few scrap pieces from my loaf soaps so I can see how they're shaping up, and I'm blown away by how well these are performing this early, after-feel included. I know they'll only get better, and I'm super happy about that.
Also, I owe WSP Jasmine Vanilla an apology: yes, it smelled powdery and reminded me of baby powder OOB, but it morphed into a lovely floral that my mom, sister, and 6 year old nephew want.

I bought 50 pounds of lard today at a local grocery store. Soooooooo.....................................................................

The look my 17 year-old daughter gave me as I hauled it out of the trunk and into the house. Priceless.

"Lard, mom? Really?" as she shook her head and went upstairs and into her bedroom. :lol:
Just curious what brand you acquired. I highly recommend adding in EDTA and some BHT if you are going to use above 30% lard. The least problematic I find in So Cal is from Smart and Final or Snow Cap Brand from Wal Mart.

If you knead it at the proper time and then keep it airtight for a few more days to make sure it's saponified, it might be ok. I wouldn't try mixing it in within 3 days, and if you could wait at least 5-7 that would be better. That said, MP is a bit different than soap, especially the clear stuff, so I'm not sure how the holo will react to bring surrounded by actual soap molecules. It would be an interesting experiment, certainly, and if you try it I'd love to see it.
Will report back when I try it!
They turned out cute!

Attachments

• B4798F38-F160-4E47-80E5-B4CF1AD1D529.jpeg
    B4798F38-F160-4E47-80E5-B4CF1AD1D529.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 22
I made some pink camo dinosaurs today... I think they may be a good seller for Christmas so may as well get the girls into it as well.

I also cut my last soap... here is the progression: photo 1 is what I was going for; photo 2 was my first attempt (5th soap I made) and 3rd photo is the most recent. Pencil line not perfect but I think there is definitely an improvement. Unhappy with the mold which was advertised as tall & skinny (not very tall) but I'm used to my homemade one that is over 4" tall.

Any suggestions for naming this soap - I've never been able to think of anything creative for this particular one... thanks!

Attachments

• Pencil line Linear swirl.jpg
    Pencil line Linear swirl.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 22
  • Soap 6 - Pencil Line2.jpg
    Soap 6 - Pencil Line2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Soap 42 - BlkGrn.jpg
    Soap 42 - BlkGrn.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 38
It works for M&P in clear soap bases or clear bases that are lightly colored because you can see through the soap and light gets in to reflect off the glitter. It just gets buried in opaque soap so I imaging the same would be true for soap dough. It’s only going to be visible on the outer surfaces basically.

Made a large batch of OMH last night and cut it this morning. This morning, I've made two out of the five soaps I want to make today. First one was Lavender Goat Milk and the second is Merlot Madness, made with a local red wine. Triple Rice, Pumpkin Cream, and more poop soap coming up.

I have a lot of market dates coming up and I'm woefully under stocked so I'm scrambling to make more in time for the November/December markets.

Back