What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first batch of lard soap this weekend. Oh.boy. A quick preliminary wash of the hands and I’m sold. Just.wow. This is the drop swirl I intended to do with the soap that riced on me last week. The batter was a dream to work with.
Yup! Lard is da bomb in soap! 😁

Soo! I haven't been here in a while. school doesn't give me much time, even in online school. You just get sick of looking at the computer, but I figured why not pop in for a bit before I have to finish some homework!
I finally got my Etsy shop started, I think 2 weeks ago? only 4 sales, but I've been trying to advertise it on all of my social media, etc. So well see how that goes!
I'm supposed to be getting a nurture package tomorrow! I'm so EXCITED!! I got a small 2 lb mold (the smallest they had) a bunch of Fos and a couple of micas. And I'm waiting on a brambleberry order, has a bunch of flower petals, micas, Fos etc, but i already know thats gonna take a while. I really hate ordering from them, but i decided to give it another shot. I emailed them yesterday and never got a response, per usual. They bother me lol, so this will prolly be my last order for a while from them.

I’m excited to smoosh my soap dough tomorrow. I’ve really been pushing the envelope with my micas. May need to back off a bit so it doesn’t stain anything.
The end slices and the leftover batter soaps turned out real fun from my recent pull throughs.

Attachments

• A4E0E0E0-A580-443F-8E5F-44EA071089C7.jpeg
    A4E0E0E0-A580-443F-8E5F-44EA071089C7.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 23
  • BBD81390-9B0C-465A-9E52-CBFF5A642A06.jpeg
    BBD81390-9B0C-465A-9E52-CBFF5A642A06.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 15
  • FCFA305A-4EE1-4369-8012-A2070EE694F1.jpeg
    FCFA305A-4EE1-4369-8012-A2070EE694F1.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 27
@SPowers and @TashaBird -- you are rockin' the soap!! Wow. Za.
I soaped tonight, second time in 3 days. I'm on vacation, I'm on vacaaation! I got inspired by a post on the browsing soap pictures thread -- Lord only knows what it'll look like. For scents I used spearmint and anise. I'm on an anise kick lately. Spearmint has never cut it for me -- it always smells so...dental. But anise blends make for such unique blends. I've done anise/peppermint and anise/lavender and can't smell the peppermint or lavender -- so I'm hoping for the same with spearmint/anise. And I'm exhausted so I'm taking a cue from @amd and ignoring the dishes.

Yep, lard is love.

I managed to soap while the lil dude napped.
IMG_20200915_191501.jpg

Hot process red reef clay, and some TD for the lighter part which was meant to be only on the top third portion. Hopefully it stays there lol. Scented with a neroli, rosemary and cedarwood EO blend.

Yep, lard is love.

I managed to soap while the lil dude napped.
View attachment 49591
Hot process red reef clay, and some TD for the lighter part which was meant to be only on the top third portion. Hopefully it stays there lol. Scented with a neroli, rosemary and cedarwood EO blend.
Praise the lard!

And I'm exhausted so I'm taking a cue from @amd and ignoring the dishes.
Hey! I'll have you know that I am a changed woman! I no longer ignore my dishes until they're an unbearable mess. Mostly because hubby setup a nice dishrack system for me at the sink outside of my soap dungeon, so it's been super easy to dump dishes in the sink, run the water, finish cleaning up in the dungeon, and then wash the few dishes quick before I close up for the night. I figure I have about two more weeks left to meet the "28 days to make a habit", and then I can take the big sign off the door reminding me to do my dishes...

I'm finishing up the last of the brewery soaps tonight. Although I'm cheesed at a new FO I used yesterday. The supplier says "discolors to light tan". I can live with light tan in beer soap. What I can't live with is the bright YELLOW it discolored to. Ugh. I'm hoping it's just a quick reaction to unmolding/cutting and it will settle back down while it cures. It pretty much acted the way vanillan does - the soap looked fine when I unmolded (the top is bright orange, so if it was discoloring I couldn't tell). Came back 2 hours later to cut, and the outside edges had turned bright yellow. I cut the soaps, the insides were fine, normal colored. I started beveling and I noticed that the soaps were changing as they were sitting there. The cut faces were doing the same yellow discoloration. What the heck! I guess soapmaking never ceases to surprise me.

I cut my pink clay salt bar... looks pretty much like Holly's at Kapia Mera soap which is what I was going for. I wanted a little better top but it just wasn't setting up like I expected.

Attachments

• Soap 41 - Pink Salt1.jpg
    Soap 41 - Pink Salt1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 33
I bought 50 pounds of lard today at a local grocery store. Soooooooo.....................................................................

The look my 17 year-old daughter gave me as I hauled it out of the trunk and into the house. Priceless.

"Lard, mom? Really?" as she shook her head and went upstairs and into her bedroom. :lol:

I usually grab what I can find when I hit the grocery store too. I actually found it in bulk for a really great price but the cost to ship if was ridiculous and wipes out all saving! Boo I will keep getting it from the store.

This is todays previous lemon bar looking soap. I love the color they are morphing into
I want to eat that so badly! What colorants and smellerants, I mean scents, did you use? It's really elegant. Well done.
Scented with a neroli, rosemary and cedarwood EO blend.
Those 3 are in my top 10 essential oil faves! I've never blended them, though. I've only used neroli in lotion bars and never thought of using it in soap but now I will, thanks to you!

I cut my white & black spearmint & anise soap tonight. More satisfying 'thwoks' from my new toy, I mean cutter. Inspired by Browsing thread I am getting soooo much better appreciating what I get versus being disappointed that my vision didn't turn out exactly like I wanted. What I'm super excited about is that I stopped stirring at emulsion. I was totally paranoid that it was too soon and all hell would break loose but it gives me confidence in what to look for.

@Zing the smell is Autumn Harvest by Elements. OOB it smells terrible (to me). But now in CP soap i love it. Its like all of your favorite spice pies rolled into one. Not quite pumpkin spice, not quite apple.

I added to fo to uncolored soap which made it lemony color at first. its drying to a nice brown.

Back