What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I attempted to make a Milky Way CP with MP soap with the galactic skies FO I bought from Brambleberry. Just cut it today. I’m thinking my next attempt, I’m going to increase the amount of activated charcoal because it turned out lighter than I expected. It was darker as a batter. I added some purple but you can hardly tell since the “black” was almost the exact same color! I’ll also decrease the amount of white. I have holes in them from where I placed the MP cuttings. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

Smells amazing though!

Wow! Thats Amazing!!! how did you do that?!

I used my welded soap (the non-entry in the July challenge), and it has great lather and a silky feel. Amazingly, the washing process completely smoothed out all the ugly seams that never melded together in the oven-welding process. Now the soap looks really nice! Had I known to do this, I would have entered my welded soap for sure.

I also heard from my sister-in-law that she and her husband love my unscented gm-lard-oatmeal soaps. She has tons of chemical sensitivities, so I had gifted her a bar when we were visiting them for my FIL's memorial back in June. They don't have tons of money and were asking my husband how expensive my soaps were. He just laughed and said, "Are you kidding? She has SO.MUCH.SOAP. I'll put some in the mail to you straight away."

I see this as a win-win. They get soap, and I get more room on my curing rack. :rolling:

Well, I decided to make the AC Confetti soap - inspiration was posted here not long ago. I've been wanting to make it for a long time but was waiting on some ingredients. I changed the recipe quite a bit and used cubes from my turmerica/carrot soap. I angled the bottom layer which has no confetti in it and put a gold mica line on before pouring the remainder of the batter which has the confetti. I plopped some of the cubes along the top and made a bit of a design with the gold mica in oil. Oh, I tried using a pipette to place a few gold dots here & there in the bottom layer. I'm cautiously optimistic about the cut.
I have a bit of a problem trying to rein it in. There is only 1 thing where I think 'more is more' and that's everything Christmas. Otherwise my aesthetic and philosophy is generally 'less is more'. I'm having trouble with the 'less is more' when it comes to soap making! :oops:
Here is the 'wet' soap. I was going to call it 'Black Tie' but now I'm thinking maybe Gold Nuggets or Motherlode... what do you guys think?

I just realized I forgot to add an oil... 45 gr of Acocado Oil - my superfat is at 7% - do you think it will be ok?? :(
View attachment 48589
it looks to me like peanut butter and dark chocolate.

I attempted to make a Milky Way CP with MP soap with the galactic skies FO I bought from Brambleberry. Just cut it today. I’m thinking my next attempt, I’m going to increase the amount of activated charcoal because it turned out lighter than I expected. It was darker as a batter. I added some purple but you can hardly tell since the “black” was almost the exact same color! I’ll also decrease the amount of white. I have holes in them from where I placed the MP cuttings. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

Smells amazing though!
I love these! Just call the holes black holes lol.

Played with my new pull-through soap tool from Love Your Suds. :)
I'm trying to using up old micas.
Usually prefer plainer soaps, but this technique is so much fun. Every cut feels like a birthday present.

3rd attempt. Getting closer! & I love this color combo.
View attachment 48602

Edit: formatting
I love the effect you got. I bought a plastic container with a interesting cut out pattern last week to make a pull thru. Cant wait to try it this week..

I made a beach type soap. Design fail, but I love the scent. Mango, Pina Colada & Georgia Peach combo.
I love the design! Beautiful beachy soap IMO :)

Today I cut a soap me and hubby made lastnight. I'm really new so I'm still learning. I used CPOP method b/c it was cool in the house and I wanted to be certain it gelled. I think that's the reason for the weird tops and sides (alien brains, maybe). Also it moved slower than I anticipated so the addition of color was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't get the TD mixed well before adding it, so I have powder spots. Live and learn! Anyway, I'm otherwise pleased with my amateur creation.
20200814_200412.jpg20200815_102832.jpg20200815_102930.jpg20200815_102941.jpg

Today I cut a soap me and hubby made lastnight. I'm really new so I'm still learning. I used CPOP method b/c it was cool in the house and I wanted to be certain it gelled. I think that's the reason for the weird tops and sides (alien brains, maybe). Also it moved slower than I anticipated so the addition of color was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't get the TD mixed well before adding it, so I have powder spots. Live and learn! Anyway, I'm otherwise pleased with my amateur creation.
View attachment 48644View attachment 48645View attachment 48646View attachment 48647
I think it may have gotten a little hot in the oven. Looks to me like a silicone rash/bubbles. I have had that happen before as well.

I think it may have gotten a little hot in the oven. Looks to me like a silicone rash/bubbles. I have had that happen before as well.
Good to know, thanks! I had not heard of silicone rash before. This was my first try at CPOP. I'll do some more research and look out in the future. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

Well, they didn’t turn out as bad as I’d feared. I didn’t account for scraping batter out for the mountains and I wound up w barely enough to cover the moons. I was distraught last night. 😆
I kind of love them.
These are awesome! 😍

Tried out a new recipe using that added shea butter and colloidal oatmeal to my usual recipe, then I scented it with tea tree. We'll see how it turns out. I also learned the hard way about not putting EO's in plastic. I typically ALWAYS measure them out in glass. For whatever reason I decided to take a chance and put them in a plastic cup. Ate through the cup and lost almost 2oz of tea tree EO to the counter. That's the last time I'll do that!!!

Wow! Thats Amazing!!! how did you do that?!
Thanks! It's pretty simple actually. I pre-made MP embeds in the colors I wanted, cut them up into small sizes and added it into CP soap. I poured the CP at an angle so I could get the embeds to line up diagonally. You have to kind of wait until the bottom thickens a bit before adding the MP bits, otherwise, they'll all sink to the bottom. :)

Awhile back I'd agreed to make guest soaps as favors for our annual Ladies' Retreat which is held every September. Of course, the retreat was canceled. Instead, today we had a socially-distanced brunch in someone's large backyard. I brought the soaps in drawstring bags, and they were all grabbed, and I received a lot of positive feedback on the designs. A few people asked for more, so I'll bring the rest to (parking-lot) church tomorrow. Nice to clear out the curing racks!

I cut the soap I made yesterday. The one on the left was supposed to be my August challenge entry; it didn't turn out too badly all in all but it certainly doesn't qualify for the challenge. It's scented with Black Tie FO. The one on the right is Lemon Poppyseed, scented with lemon and sweet orange EO and Yuzu FO. I'll be making Goat Milk & Lavender soap in a little while as well as getting ready to make a winter soap.

20200816_080901.jpg

Two soaps in a week.. Hurrah! Lol

I was gifted this mold and omg it was a mess molding it! The sides opened up and I think I burned my pinkie finger... Next time I'll be smart and clip both sides from top to bottom.
IMG_20200817_004021.jpg

Yeah, I don't know how to smooth the tops of round soap molds lol.

Its a plain soap, a tweak of this one.. Let's see how it goes.

One batch of Lavender Basil Goat Milk soap made and a batch of Winter Frost soap next up. I'm really in soapmaking mode right now; I have to be. We have markets until Christmas and my friend's orchard will be opening up soon. As well, I might be in another market on alternate Sundays from my main market. I probably need to make several batches each weekend for the next couple of months just to have enough.

I just love the texture of this one.

20200816_113104.jpg

And Winter Frost is in the mold. My batter went instantly yellow when I added my fragrance oil (never had that happen before) so hopefully it will go back to white. The fragrance is North Pole from Candora. The snow flakes are made with M & P and have glitter incorporated into them.
20200816_131245.jpg

Well, I decided to make the AC Confetti soap - inspiration was posted here not long ago. I've been wanting to make it for a long time but was waiting on some ingredients. I changed the recipe quite a bit and used cubes from my turmerica/carrot soap. I angled the bottom layer which has no confetti in it and put a gold mica line on before pouring the remainder of the batter which has the confetti. I plopped some of the cubes along the top and made a bit of a design with the gold mica in oil. Oh, I tried using a pipette to place a few gold dots here & there in the bottom layer. I'm cautiously optimistic about the cut.
I have a bit of a problem trying to rein it in. There is only 1 thing where I think 'more is more' and that's everything Christmas. Otherwise my aesthetic and philosophy is generally 'less is more'. I'm having trouble with the 'less is more' when it comes to soap making! :oops:
Here is the 'wet' soap. I was going to call it 'Black Tie' but now I'm thinking maybe Gold Nuggets or Motherlode... what do you guys think?

I just realized I forgot to add an oil... 45 gr of Acocado Oil - my superfat is at 7% - do you think it will be ok?? :(
View attachment 48589

Finally cut and cleaned these up... I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Soap 29 - Motherlode2.jpg

Back