What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried using some rhubarb tea to color a small test batch. Trying out a tallow/lard/co/oo combo. First time with that, will try again with some infused oo to see if it comes out a different color, I really want a pink.

And the blue is some indigo and a blend of rosemary/Lavender EO in a 30/20/30 olive/lard/tallow base. I got that scent blend idea here on the list and wow, it is good.

IMG_0622.jpg

I tried using some rhubarb tea to color a small test batch. Trying out a tallow/lard/co/oo combo. First time with that, will try again with some infused oo to see if it comes out a different color, I really want a pink.

And the blue is some indigo and a blend of rosemary/Lavender EO in a 30/20/30 olive/lard/tallow base. I got that scent blend idea here on the list and wow, it is good.

View attachment 48521
These are lovely.

OMG I’m in love!
I definitely will lube the mold with Vaseline again next time. I did it the first time, but not this time, and it was much easier the first time.
Also, I probably could have waited another hour or two.
I need to clean them up a bit before they have a proper photo shoot, but I’m going to let them harden a bit more first.
Any tips on how to clean up the edges of a round soap? Not the “corners”, but the outside?

Attachments

• 45BD26AC-CA48-4366-BEC8-95384C299105.jpeg
    45BD26AC-CA48-4366-BEC8-95384C299105.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 41
I soaped for the first time at 90F. I usually soap at 110. Holy bananas I had so much time for activities, swirls and twiddles. I also successfully soaped with high temp soy wax at a low %. I’ve discovered my love for Mad Oils Earl Grey in soap (it’s also phenomenal in candles btw). I’m realizing my avocado oil is way too dark and screws up all my color planning even when I lighten it. I think I finally nailed the zig zag swirl after a number of “almosts”. Going to plan out my beginner entry for the Stripes/Dropswirl Soap Challenge Club tonight. I never really plan anything out on paper so it’s a start.

I keep pushing the envelope with how early I can unmold my soaps. I just cut these. I put them to bed to gel just 8 hours ago. I do use a lot of hard oils so I’m sure that helps. I used a new to me FO. Cool Citrus Basil. They smell wonderful! They remind me of candy corn.
C5840811-254B-4176-9989-BB83E843374A.jpeg

Last edited:
Weird, the avocado oil I use is clear with just the slightest tinge of yellow, and my base batter comes out virtually white. Is there another brand you could try?

Mine is a very very dark green because I was an idiot and bought a gallon of unrefined before I figured out that it wasn’t very ideal for soap. I have about half left and I never really noticed it messing with color too much until I decided to use 20% in a recipe. I’m going to soldier on a little wiser for this lol.

Mine is a very very dark green because I was an idiot and bought a gallon of unrefined before I figured out that it wasn’t very ideal for soap. I have about half left and I never really noticed it messing with color too much until I decided to use 20% in a recipe. I’m going to soldier on a little wiser for this lol.
Ah, I see. That's unfortunate from a visual perspective, but I imagine the bars will still be functional at least.

Latest posts

Back