What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 6C875805-58B2-4409-B4FF-BB6B82CC5DEE.jpeg
    6C875805-58B2-4409-B4FF-BB6B82CC5DEE.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 35
I made a one-pot wonder today and it turned out AHmazing! I used milk instead of water so I popped this baby in the refrigerator because I don't want it to overheat. I really don't want any gelling either. This soap is so beautiful I can't wait to cut it. I hope just throwing it in the freezer is what I am supposed to do? No alcohol? No cover? I used a small amount of denim fragrance (I didn't want the mix to seize or go to heavy trace) My colors were supposed to be blue but SUPRISE when you have yellow oil and add blue you get GREEN! It is still stunning. Maybe it just won't be called denim (LOL) Also...one pot wonder is a LIE because my sink was full of pots 3 for colors, 1 for original mix, 1 for lye and all the spatulas etc...etc...you know what I'm talking bout.

Attachments

• 20200807_180120.jpg
    20200807_180120.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 30
Omg litsea cubeba! Where have you been all my life?!! I attempted my first cylinder column with a pull through design today. It went surprisingly well! Made myself wait until the lye and fat were at 100. The liners on the squeeze bottles worked fairly well. One random hiccup from a bottle sent blue batter flying two ft into the air and all over the place. Cleaning up is such a drag! It’s sitting in a bucket with an old heated blanket wrapped around it. I hope it’s enough to make it gel. I used litsea, lemongrass, and frankincense and it smells SO good! I’m still trying to find some FO that I like, but so far no luck. Tomorrow I have tons of chores and studying to do before I can cut my soap. That will be my reward!

Not what I planned first time using a FO, and first time experiencing acceleration. Had to scrap the detailed pull through and dump it into a loaf. Thank goodness I’m getting more comfortable, and my gear was well organized! Still it looks pretty!
I thought I liked the FO at first. But after a day and a half it smells like icky men’s cologne. 🤷🏼‍♀️
love my new cutter!!! I actually have straight lines for the first time!!!
If that's an "Oops", wow! on your next "Oops"!!

First time using a column mold. Covered and stood in a bucket with a heating blanket wrapped around. Wasn’t super hot. Does all this “water?” look normal?

Attachments

• 94F903F3-3639-471A-A960-94F8862A1E18.jpeg
    94F903F3-3639-471A-A960-94F8862A1E18.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
It looks normal to me. The one thing I would suggest is to scrape down the insides of the pvc mold above the main soap. The extra soap on the sides can make it hard to unmold bc it stops the loaf from coming out.
I spread a thin bit of Vaseline inside and it slid out super easy! It was very wet though!! That weird blop on the top was me trying not to waste batter left in the bags in my squeeze bottles. Then I realized I could squeeze them in an individual mold, which I will have handy next time.

I spread a thin bit of Vaseline inside and it slid out super easy! It was very wet though!! That weird blop on the top was me trying not to waste batter left in the bags in my squeeze bottles. Then I realized I could squeeze them in an individual mold, which I will have handy next time.
That’s smart. Vaseline is mineral oil which does not saponify.

Trying to save myself some dishes I poured/weighed all my liquid oils into the same container, taring each on the scale. Well, I went over by 1-5g on a couple oils. Can’t take them out because they’re blended. next time I’ll use a separate measuring cup! Can I just proceed as planned, knowing my SF will be a % higher? (Hope that’s ok to ask here, instead of starting a whole thread.)

Trying to save myself some dishes I poured/weighed all my liquid oils into the same container, taring each on the scale. Well, I went over by 1-5g on a couple oils. Can’t take them out because they’re blended. next time I’ll use a separate measuring cup! Can I just proceed as planned, knowing my SF will be a % higher? (Hope that’s ok to ask here, instead of starting a whole thread.)
I don't think that's a big deal. As long as you are weighing by grams and not ounces. Being off by one ounce is a lot = 28 grams. But being off by a couple of grams, no problem. I weigh my oils the same way. Some people put a bit of their major oils: Olive, Sunflower, Avocado, etc. in a squeeze bottle. Weigh out the majority of what you need and top it off with the squeeze bottle - easier to use without a mistake,

I don't think that's a big deal. As long as you are weighing by grams and not ounces. Being off by one ounce is a lot = 28 grams. But being off by a couple of grams, no problem. I weigh my oils the same way. Some people put a bit of their major oils: Olive, Sunflower, Avocado, etc. in a squeeze bottle. Weigh out the majority of what you need and top it off with the squeeze bottle - easier to use without a mistake,
You’re welcome 😊

I actually waited until the lye and oils were 95 and it made a huge difference! I also, just barely blended it. I’m really learning the minimal emulsion necessary. I just had the best soaping session with a pull through, and I had so much time to work, it felt so luxurious! I can’t wait to cut tomorrow! Here’s the top any way.

Attachments

• 6ECC1B2B-4FA1-46E6-B8EF-6FB1C4E265EE.jpeg
    6ECC1B2B-4FA1-46E6-B8EF-6FB1C4E265EE.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 18
I actually waited until the lye and oils were 95 and it made a huge difference! I also, just barely blended it. I’m really learning the minimal emulsion necessary. I just had the best soaping session with a pull through, and I had so much time to work, it felt so luxurious! I can’t wait to cut tomorrow! Here’s the top any way.
Looks great!

okie dokie☺️
today I attempted coconut milk shampoo bars 🥺 but does anyone know if the heat from the gel phase will make coconut milk become oil?

No, the heat will just heat up the milk, not turn it into oil.
But when you heat coconut milk, it becomes oil🥺 in my country, we grate coconuts, squeeze the milk and boil it until it separates and forms oil in the bottom and husk at the top☺️
are you 100% sure?🥺
(Please don’t think I’m annoying 🥺 I’m a newbie and I just got here an hour ago and I need some reassurance lol)

But when you heat coconut milk, it becomes oil🥺 in my country, we grate coconuts, squeeze the milk and boil it until it separates and forms oil in the bottom and husk at the top☺
are you 100% sure?🥺
(Please don’t think I’m annoying 🥺 I’m a newbie and I just got here an hour ago and I need some reassurance lol)
If you are using coconut milk that you purchased here (in the US) as coconut milk , it will stay milk. Now, if you are making it yourself from coconuts, I don’t know but I doubt it.

Back