What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from a camping trip and had the last of my recent new supplies. All set up in my new soaping area. I’m super excited to try soaping in this area, instead of my kitchen! I’ve got a new cylinder column mold with a pull through design that sounds like a whole new thing... happy to be home! YAY!

I love this! Soaping space goals!!

I have an ash problem, and i spray several times with 70% alcohol. But i also have been pouring thin, trying to learn fancy things. But my fancy (to me lol) tops mean nothing if covered in ash.

what do you do if your top is higher than the mold and you cant cover it? I have been cpop, spritz, and gently cover with a towel when its firm enough.

edit: i think i thought i was replying to a different post
I never cover my soap with plastic unless they are in cavity molds. My tops are always higher than the mold. I just spritz them well with alcohol (91%, I know it’s impossible to find now) then put A cardboard box over the mold ( one that isn’t much bigger than the mold) then insulate with several kitchen towels and place on a heating pad on med or high depending on ingredients. They always gel and almost never get ash anymore since doing this.

I am planning to make shampoo bars today.... infused olive oil with lots of ground curry leaves... thinking of making Shikakai and soap nut tea as well... little pureed onions, soaked fenugreek seeds and ginger will go at trace...
No colourants and fragrances... how do u think this soap bar will turn out ?
I love that you are using ingredients at hand! But... Does the onion smell come through in the soap? :oops: And what properties does the onion contribute to the bar? So curious!

I’m new to all this and this was today’s effort and my second batch of cp soap. Very happy how it turned out.
A simple beginners recipe, not my own.
Calendula soap scented with litsea cubeba EO.

Attachments

• FAA9A056-F7C1-4437-B485-FC255800FFE7.jpeg
    FAA9A056-F7C1-4437-B485-FC255800FFE7.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 43
I have an ash problem, and i spray several times with 70% alcohol. But i also have been pouring thin, trying to learn fancy things. But my fancy (to me lol) tops mean nothing if covered in ash.

what do you do if your top is higher than the mold and you cant cover it? I have been cpop, spritz, and gently cover with a towel when its firm enough.

edit: i think i thought i was replying to a different post
You can still gently cover it with plastic wrap - and keep it covered for up to 48 hours.

I’m new to all this and this was today’s effort and my second batch of cp soap. Very happy how it turned out.
A simple beginners recipe, not my own.
Calendula soap scented with litsea cubeba EO.
Love that color! Looks so creamy! Well done!

Cinnamon soap. On the top is cinnamon from Cambodia. FO is cinnamon and sugar from BB
Really stunning, especially the top! As @linne1gi said, cinnamon is an irritant. Let us know how your testing goes after the cure. I made a cinnamon soap once and it was so beautiful and smelled so incredible. Then I took a shower.... I was beet red from head to toe. Ouchie. I had to rinse for like an hour. I was really disappointed and had to throw it out.

Well, I probably should’ve quit while I was ahead. I prepped for two batches of soap today. After that I was pretty tired, and thought about waiting to make it until tomorrow. Although, that wasn’t what went wrong. It was great working in my new soaping area for the first time!!! I was hoping to use my new column molds with the pull through plates I just got. This was also my first time using a FO. It said mild acceleration, but workable. Maybe i was working too hot, 120? Everything got thick SO FAST! Now I know what y’all are talking about, holy cow! Had to scrap the fancy column mold pull through plan, reach into my well organized draw of molds (new soaping area), and slam it all into a loaf. Managed to pull off a hanger swirl. It might still work out. And, now I’m not even sure if I like the FO. Oh well, it was fun anyway. I’m feeling grateful for my progress and that I was able to just shift gears.
Also, I tried lining my molds, but then was unable to pull up the plates without wrecking the wax paper. So, I scrapped that idea. Too bad, because my wax paper job was really good! (Pic on top) But, I think the tape will work well, and I like the side mounted plates. (Bottom pic)

Attachments

• DF8B7526-ED83-4D3F-9110-039FD6A4F593.jpeg
    DF8B7526-ED83-4D3F-9110-039FD6A4F593.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DC825D2D-CE3A-4E2B-B0C0-424A9E021287.jpeg
    DC825D2D-CE3A-4E2B-B0C0-424A9E021287.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 39
Not what I planned first time using a FO, and first time experiencing acceleration. Had to scrap the detailed pull through and dump it into a loaf. Thank goodness I’m getting more comfortable, and my gear was well organized! Still it looks pretty!
I thought I liked the FO at first. But after a day and a half it smells like icky men’s cologne. 🤷🏼‍♀️
love my new cutter!!! I actually have straight lines for the first time!!!

Attachments

• 10515E98-C88C-4CCA-86E4-FDC2A428E6DF.jpeg
    10515E98-C88C-4CCA-86E4-FDC2A428E6DF.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 8CD19618-9C3A-41A1-A50F-BA4C23A1EA2C.jpeg
    8CD19618-9C3A-41A1-A50F-BA4C23A1EA2C.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 14DDD75A-CD0F-414E-BFCC-78C5C8CBC211.jpeg
    14DDD75A-CD0F-414E-BFCC-78C5C8CBC211.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 33
Not what I planned first time using a FO, and first time experiencing acceleration. Had to scrap the detailed pull through and dump it into a loaf. Thank goodness I’m getting more comfortable, and my gear was well organized! Still it looks pretty!
I thought I liked the FO at first. But after a day and a half it smells like icky men’s cologne. 🤷🏼‍♀️
love my new cutter!!! I actually have straight lines for the first time!!!
It might not have been what you planned, but it's pretty! Also, I feel like FOs smell different during the first week of curing than both OOB and fully cured, so maybe it'll come back?

Well, I probably should’ve quit while I was ahead. I prepped for two batches of soap today. After that I was pretty tired, and thought about waiting to make it until tomorrow. Although, that wasn’t what went wrong. It was great working in my new soaping area for the first time!!! I was hoping to use my new column molds with the pull through plates I just got. This was also my first time using a FO. It said mild acceleration, but workable. Maybe i was working too hot, 120? Everything got thick SO FAST! Now I know what y’all are talking about, holy cow! Had to scrap the fancy column mold pull through plan, reach into my well organized draw of molds (new soaping area), and slam it all into a loaf. Managed to pull off a hanger swirl. It might still work out. And, now I’m not even sure if I like the FO. Oh well, it was fun anyway. I’m feeling grateful for my progress and that I was able to just shift gears.
Also, I tried lining my molds, but then was unable to pull up the plates without wrecking the wax paper. So, I scrapped that idea. Too bad, because my wax paper job was really good! (Pic on top) But, I think the tape will work well, and I like the side mounted plates. (Bottom pic)
I usually soap at 80-90 degrees, any hotter and I have to battle with my soap batter - Make sure you are reading the testing notes so you know how the soap behaves.

I usually soap at 80-90 degrees, any hotter and I have to battle with my soap batter - Make sure you are reading the testing notes so you know how the soap behaves.
I always worry I’ll get false trace because usually I use about %60 tallow. But, right now I’m using %30, so I probably will be ok to go cooler.

Back