What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sprained wrist so I haven’t been able to soap for two weeks so far. It’s so sad to visit my soap room and do nothing.
I am currently living vicariously through all of you. Beautiful soaps!! 🙂

Oooh a whole room just for soaping, You lucky fish. That is really a lovely space.
Don't worry, you will be back to soaping soon. Just take good care of your wrist.
It is a great time for you to plan recipes and new designs perhaps.
Hope you feel better soon.

Yesterday I made my dinosaur soaps! I'm very happy with them.. I put a little too much of the plain batter in the bottom so they look a bit anemic but with use the colours I used will come through. Since they are for kids, I didn't use fragrance and coloured them with 2 greens made from Barleygrass powder and a yellow made with turmeric and a touch of green to tone it down. They are big bars! I think my grandson will love them.
Soap 26 - Dino Soaps 2.jpg

So im in the middle of soaping and letting my batter sit for a bit to thicken. Im afraid to sb cause i really want to pour right for this one. I upped the FO so im scared lol. The gold is getting thicker quicker than the other two....

i only did to emulsion this time before separating. I have three batter colors. The fo discolored a bit to like a mauve. Thats ok though, i think lol. I really wanted white.

anyway, this is where i am

Attachments

• AE9093D4-344A-47EE-A4A4-FD9D94E7E03B.jpeg
    AE9093D4-344A-47EE-A4A4-FD9D94E7E03B.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 21
The other sort of soapy thing I did today was use my first 'shampoo' bar! I couldn't believe how creamy it was and how much lather it made. My hair is great so hoping that continues.

We picked up a stainless steel shelf unit from Costco this afternoon. It's now set up and in place in my spare room, which doubles as my soap room. Finally, I'm able to get things off the floor; it's so much neater and I can find things much more easily. Eventually, I'd love to get one more and rearrange that entire room but this is a welcome start.

I made my first soap for the August Soap Challenge Club. You have to do a combination of layers and a drop swirl and one more technique. So I made layers with teardrop embeds in the layers, and then a drop swirl. It came out fine, but I'm not in love with it - so I am working on a 2nd try. This time I am doing layers with a mica line in between, and the drop swirl on top. We'll see. I have to say though that the fragrance I am working with, Autumn Equinox from Nurture is amazing.

Oooh a whole room just for soaping, You lucky fish. That is really a lovely space.
Don't worry, you will be back to soaping soon. Just take good care of your wrist.
It is a great time for you to plan recipes and new designs perhaps.
Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks so much, Elizevt! 😊

1596575323430.png
1596575347624.png

I hope the photos work! It's the night here and just taken the photo so not best quality! I've made lavender melt and pour using essential oil and Indigo, Orange and Lime using essential oils and clay to colour and Rose using red clay and rose geranium. Then used a small mould on the top to create a slice of lime and orange. Tried to paint on white melted soap to make it more realistic but it was very blobby so if anyone has any tips on how to paint on melted soap that would be appreciated! I have a cosmetic safety report (UK based) here on these ingredients and I'm experimenting on what I can do with it as it only allows specific clays, indigo or charcoal to colour and specific essential oils (that can't be mixed) Trying to get some ideas of what to do! I'm fairly happy with how they turned out.

View attachment 48341View attachment 48342

I hope the photos work! It's the night here and just taken the photo so not best quality! I've made lavender melt and pour using essential oil and Indigo, Orange and Lime using essential oils and clay to colour and Rose using red clay and rose geranium. Then used a small mould on the top to create a slice of lime and orange. Tried to paint on white melted soap to make it more realistic but it was very blobby so if anyone has any tips on how to paint on melted soap that would be appreciated! I have a cosmetic safety report (UK based) here on these ingredients and I'm experimenting on what I can do with it as it only allows specific clays, indigo or charcoal to colour and specific essential oils (that can't be mixed) Trying to get some ideas of what to do! I'm fairly happy with how they turned out.
Great pictures. How are you cutting so evenly? My soap cutter would break if used on M&P soap.

So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 oz of dried marshmallow root, 1 1/2 cups water (both weighed to the gram), and then for kicks I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)
i made a rose mold with coconut milk base, it came out pretty good

Great pictures. How are you cutting so evenly? My soap cutter would break if used on M&P soap.
Hi there
I marked it with an old fashioned ruler of an inch for each soap and then cut straight down with a very sharp non serrated knife. I found the same when I tried to use my wire cutter before - it bent and broke!

Latest posts

Back