What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to share my great buy! I've been looking for an individual cavity mold - something for my 8 yo grandson and couldn't find anything I liked online. I ran across one on Etsy which usually isn't very cost effective for me, especially in terms of shipping costs - it was $12 usd with 'free' shipping! Oh my I thought... then saw it was from China. Well I thought I'd give it a try - if I lose $12, it's not the end of the world. I got a purchase confirmation within minutes, and shipping confirmation within 12 hours. I received it today - a little over 2 weeks after ordering it! And I love it! It's dinosaurs and they are really big molds. Can't wait to make soap in them.
p.s. looked at the site today and shipping is now $5 but still very good in my opinion.

Attachments

• Dino Mold.jpg
    Dino Mold.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
I had to share my great buy! I've been looking for an individual cavity mold - something for my 8 yo grandson and couldn't find anything I liked online. I ran across one on Etsy which usually isn't very cost effective for me, especially in terms of shipping costs - it was $12 usd with 'free' shipping! Oh my I thought... then saw it was from China. Well I thought I'd give it a try - if I lose $12, it's not the end of the world. I got a purchase confirmation within minutes, and shipping confirmation within 12 hours. I received it today - a little over 2 weeks after ordering it! And I love it! It's dinosaurs and they are really big molds. Can't wait to make soap in them.
p.s. looked at the site today and shipping is now $5 but still very good in my opinion.
That is lucky! I ordered soap dishes on Aliexpress (they came from China), ordered in April, just came yesterday- took 3 months!

I made the cutest mermaid tale soaps! I’m really happy with these and I used BeScented tropical paradise fragrance oil. It was their July special and behaved quite well!

Attachments

• C5625D67-2E12-4644-8114-C265022D8DB0.jpeg
    C5625D67-2E12-4644-8114-C265022D8DB0.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 880300EE-E2AE-416A-A63E-B271F5EC9D7C.jpeg
    880300EE-E2AE-416A-A63E-B271F5EC9D7C.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 23DF7B51-565F-41AF-ACDE-9EF6947EF366.jpeg
    23DF7B51-565F-41AF-ACDE-9EF6947EF366.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26
I had to share my great buy!
I have that mould too! Mine came with a mould for smaller dinos, too; you're right, the others are BIG.
I've only made one batch so far but do intend to make more.

Oh wait, mine is slightly different. Cute tho!

Attachments

• dino moulds.png
    dino moulds.png
    526 KB · Views: 31
I made an un fragranced soap (no essential oils or fragrance oils)

For my additives I added powdered Chamomile flowers., lavender, Calendula and oats. (all powdered) and a bit of kaolin clay.

The soap is a tan / vomity khaki color with flecks of yellow from the calendula. But it's not bad for a natural soap.

The most prominent smell is the Shea butter. My hubby says Shea butter smells a bit like window putty. Lols.

But I think it will be a good soap. Not the prettiest, but good on the skin.

I Can't wait for it to cure. 😊

IMG_20200731_093713.jpg

For my additives I added powdered Chamomile flowers., lavender, Calendula and oats. (all powdered) and a bit of kaolin clay.

The soap is a tan / vomity khaki color with flecks of yellow from the calendula. But it's not bad for a natural soap.

The most prominent smell is the Shea butter. My hubby says Shea butter smells a bit like window putty. Lols.

Those look nice, and I love the smell of shea!

View attachment 48242
What kind of oils have you used?

Today I have made tallow based soap with sand from Gobi desert, Mongolia and lavender mica and lavender&cedar FO from BB. Cannot wait to cut. I make lavender soap sets for Christmas. Each set will have 9 different soaps, all with lavender aroma. I use ingredients from Cambodia(coffee), Mongolia(sand), Vietnam(lavender flowers), Pennsylvania (lavender flowers), Bhutan (clay). Some soaps coconut oil based, some tallow based.

Responding to the wrong person. I haven’t use tar.
Very sorry :)

Tallow based soap

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_205655.jpg
    IMG_20200730_205655.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 38
I just went into the kitchen for something and realized my CPOP soap was in the over and I forgot to turn it off. The oven was at 170 f and was there for almost 2 hr. I thought it was a gonner but looks ok on the outside anyway! Hope it's ok on the inside. I will definitely post tomorrow's result!
I have been doing CP in PVC pipe, just wondering if I can cphp in the PVC?

That is lucky! I ordered soap dishes on Aliexpress (they came from China), ordered in April, just came yesterday- took 3 months!
I ordered a laser thermometer in February, it took 4 months to arrive by which point I got compensation from the seller and the courier! Crazy!

I make CP honey soap with 100 percent coconut oil and 1 Tbsp honey from a next door winery.
How did the colours and soap look and feel? I followed instructions to put soap in the fridge for 3 hours. Next day the colours where pastel (nice) but the soap is tackier than usual. I'm guessing it's because of the extra water present as I usual place in the oven.

View attachment 48242
Your husband has a point and I understand where he's coming from that's why I buy refined! As you say Shea butter makes lovely soap.

I finally made my first batch of soap after many many hours of watching and reading! I was so nervous. There was a tiny mishap with the FO but I think it turned out okay. The rose FO accelerated way too fast I couldn't dump it out fast enough to swirl. That’s why there are large chunky areas of color.

Attachments

• 51B79343-59F5-4CC6-8168-2B0F7179DE4C.jpeg
    51B79343-59F5-4CC6-8168-2B0F7179DE4C.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2E8E0879-DE0E-4BEA-9242-EDDE454683AD.jpeg
    2E8E0879-DE0E-4BEA-9242-EDDE454683AD.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 30
Today I finally unmolded some MWHP mini soaps I poured last week. Unfortunately, I used plastic molds, and even after freezing them I had a hard time getting the little soaps out. Most of them are at least a little chipped up, and some of them were dropped when my unmolding efforts yielded unexpectedly. I threw the molds away when I finished and promptly ordered silicone ones. The molds were nearly destroyed by my attempts to get the soap out anyways. But I'm thrilled the bars are showing the color and detail as well as they are. My scraps from the batch were poured into a silicone ice cube tray, and those released easily the day after the pour, so I have high hopes for future attempts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200731_214618.jpg
    IMG_20200731_214618.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 24
Today I finally unmolded some MWHP mini soaps I poured last week. Unfortunately, I used plastic molds, and even after freezing them I had a hard time getting the little soaps out. Most of them are at least a little chipped up, and some of them were dropped when my unmolding efforts yielded unexpectedly. I threw the molds away when I finished and promptly ordered silicone ones. The molds were nearly destroyed by my attempts to get the soap out anyways. But I'm thrilled the bars are showing the color and detail as well as they are. My scraps from the batch were poured into a silicone ice cube tray, and those released easily the day after the pour, so I have high hopes for future attempts.
Those do look nice! If you can still fish those plastic molds out of the trash, although they are pretty much for MP, you can use a release spray or a light coating of mineral oil if you want to use them for CP or HP soap.

I have been doing CP in PVC pipe, just wondering if I can cphp in the PVC?
PVC pipe molds can withstand the added heat of CPOP. However, due to the insulating nature of PVC, my CP soaps gel in my PVC molds with no need for additional heat. I don't even wrap them in towels.

Last edited:
Back