What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick question: do I have to line PVC? Someone said that I didn't have to line the plastic on pringles can bc the soap won't stick. Just wondering if its the same with PVC? Thanks!

WOW! those are beautiful cactus soaps!

quick question: do I have to line PVC? Someone said that I didn't have to line the plastic on pringles can bc the soap won't stick. Just wondering if its the same with PVC? Thanks!
Some people do, but I don't line my PVC molds because 1) I hate paying for and wasting freezer paper, and 2) I don't like the wrinkle marks I always get on the sides of the soap.

It's important to leave around an inch or so of headroom when you fill this up. With the type of cap you bought (not a tester cap), you will also want to rubber-band a layer of freezer paper or cling wrap on the bottom end of the mold, and put the cap over that. Otherwise, you will get some leakage.

When my soap is ready to unmold, I put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Then take the mold out and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to let the condensation begin to form (you might need less time than that in Texas, lol). My soap pushes right out almost every time. If it sticks a little bit, I hold it upside down and kind of tap the top end on the counter, or a table. That never fails to loosen my soap so that it will slide out.

Other people whack theirs on the concrete, lightly grease the inside with mineral oil (won't saponify), or use a soup can to push from the top end where you left the headroom. I haven't had to resort to any of that, but I'm guessing that the difference lies in the recipe used. For whatever reason, the freezer trick works perfectly for me.

ETA: YouTube video on how to remove soap from a pvc pipe. Here is another one who makes liners from Dollar Store cutting mats.

Thank you @TashaBird and @AliOop. I added another pic like the ones I see people posting of their butterfly swirls.
That butterfly is amazing!!!

Last edited:
I've made a design for a beauty and the beast inspired soap.
It is my favourite all time movie.

It is based on the yellow dress of belle.
At some point I probably would want to make one for her blue dress as well.
(got inspired by the theme of the soaps from Royalty Soaps this month)

Also I've bought the frosting club kit about 2 weeks ago.
I'm checking the shipping update every day because: glitters!

Attachments

• IMG_20200720_211058.jpg
    IMG_20200720_211058.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 15
Does the soap slide out?
If you scroll up to post #16,239 above, I gave a lot of info about lining the pvc mold (or not) and how to get it out of the mold. :) And if I had to guess, I'd say that the clear plastic inside of @Jersey Girl's pvc mold is a Dollar Store cutting mat. That's one of the ways that people line the pvc so that the soap comes out easily.

What is the clear plastic inside the pvc, a liner?
It’s a cutting mat from the dollar store.

If you scroll up to post #16,239 above, I gave a lot of info about lining the pvc mold (or not) and how to get it out of the mold. :) And if I had to guess, I'd say that the clear plastic inside of @Jersey Girl's pvc mold is a Dollar Store cutting mat. That's one of the ways that people line the pvc so that the soap comes out easily.
Bingo! 😁

The milk isn't added to the masterbatch. It's called the split method. Lye/Water 1:1 then the difference of liquid required for the batch is added as milk to the oils and blended before adding the lye mixture to the oils.
I got ya....thank you for this explanation..Now I know the method I have been used to has a name 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I've made a design for a beauty and the beast inspired soap.
It is my favourite all time movie.

It is based on the yellow dress of belle.
At some point I probably would want to make one for her blue dress as well.
(got inspired by the theme of the soaps from Royalty Soaps this month)

Also I've bought the frosting club kit about 2 weeks ago.
I'm checking the shipping update every day because: glitters!

Oh, that would look nice. Maybe you should try Orange Vibrance and a gold? I'm not sure, Have fun with that. :)

Oh, that would look nice. Maybe you should try Orange Vibrance and a gold? I'm not sure, Have fun with that. :)
That might work better! I was thinking of red because the gold I use is kinda yellow.
I will probably just mix a tiny amount and see witch one I prefer.
I just so happen to have bought a very neon orange.
Thank you for the idea!

I cut yesterday's batch which turned out pretty good with a few exceptions as always! I tried the hanger swirl for the first and for the first time, I think I did a pretty good one. While the other techniques I've tried have been ok, they were usually 6 degrees (or more) from the way they were supposed to look! I think I nailed it however, I really have to work on colours! The colour is very muted and appears to be about 3 shades or more of what the batter looked like. It was my own blend as I don't have many colours but I thought the lavender looked really nice in the bowl. One thing at a time I guess - I have an order hopefully arriving today - all colorants so will have more choices. I used lavender infused olive oil and scented it with lavender and gardenia EO. Here's the cut.

Lavender Gardenia.jpg

I’ve been trying to teach my DH how to give me feedback on the soap. “Nice” isn’t sufficient! 😆

I just made some spirulina salt soap and I LOVE how they look like my jade ear jewelry!!! Scented with orange, rosemary, lavender EO. Also, I rinsed the top of the 3 loafs I made yesterday. That was a first.
Can you keep us posted on the spirulina? I'm wondering if that beautiful green will hold.

Thanks so much! Yes, I CPOP'd it for 2 hrs then covered it overnight.

Last edited:
Dear Colleagues, I need a standard recipe to produce a quality transparent liquid soap for washing. Sometimes I get the perfect thickness other times the soap becomes cloudy and watery. Plz help what do I do. I have almost exhausted my money on this.

Back