What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK! we have to go to the hardware store tomorrow, so I will get some PVC! So a 3 inch and caps for both sides? So I can gel it? Thanks!

I made 4 1/2 batches of soap...the 1/2 batch is because I forgot to add the fragrance oil in it.

I am especially thrilled because I used my new match batching and I'm usually hurting after three batches (bad back), but was stilling filling good when I decided to call it a day.

I received quite a lot of ground fat from Mangalista hogs from my butcher as well as bear fat. It is all rendered. Mangalitsa hogs have pure white fat everywhere not just kidney area. No using titanium dioxide on this lard! I have been asked by the local art co-op to feature my soaps in their showroom. I was blown away since I just started selling in April, but am getting calls like crazy. I'm a bit intimidated though. My shop has been through a ton of changes lately and maybe it is my age but I'm having trouble changing with it! :( I recently converted all of my soap recipes to goat milk as I found a supplier with a large herd so no worries there. Found a powdered full fat goat milk supplier from Indiana that sent me extra since I bought 4 lbs. That was awful nice! I have narrowed my types of soap available to 4 because I was going crazy trying to please everyone. I had to learn to say no. My heel balm is selling like crazy so that is great but I am getting requests for making gift baskets and need help with ideas on that because I have no idea how to make them. I ordered 8 quart sized berry wooden berry baskets that I can hot glue lace to the side of and go for a blue jean and pearls way of decorating. I ordered crinkle cut paper for inside the basket. I have stuff to put in but am not sure how to make it appealing? Help?

Attachments

• WIN_20200719_19_39_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200719_19_39_39_Pro.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 20
OK! we have to go to the hardware store tomorrow, so I will get some PVC! So a 3 inch and caps for both sides? So I can gel it? Thanks!
If they carry it, the white PVC in the 3" size will be in the sprinkler aisle. If they don't have it (because it's not a common size), you can usually find the 3" black pvc pipe in the plumbing aisle. It's the same stuff and works just fine. My husband bought a tester cap for the bottom end, and made a stand so the tube could stand upright. Although I don't cap the top per se, I do cover it with freezer paper and a rubber band.

ETA: links to what I have: tester cap and 3" x 24" ABS pipe. I do add plastic wrap on the inside of the tester cap so it doesn't come in contact with the soap batter.

Last edited:
Mine is black :( - they didn't have white and didn't know to look in the sprinkler isle. The white would be easier to see what's going on down there I think but I'm sure I'll survive! Good luck!

Cut some soaps. Designs didn’t come out quite how I planned, but I like them. My preferred formula is getting dialed in. I’m getting better at clean up too, that’s huge!!

Attachments

• 1C03A6D9-56E7-451E-BAC0-BBF98A529B53.jpeg
    1C03A6D9-56E7-451E-BAC0-BBF98A529B53.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 60E3CF07-2A8A-4293-92C8-768D7A3E5AA7.jpeg
    60E3CF07-2A8A-4293-92C8-768D7A3E5AA7.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 6F4B7E13-AF40-4593-89C2-E08593E6F0C4.jpeg
    6F4B7E13-AF40-4593-89C2-E08593E6F0C4.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 25D7EAA8-76E5-4958-9035-918CD6DDC384.jpeg
    25D7EAA8-76E5-4958-9035-918CD6DDC384.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 23
Mine is black :( - they didn't have white and didn't know to look in the sprinkler isle. The white would be easier to see what's going on down there I think but I'm sure I'll survive! Good luck!
A lot of places don't carry white pvc (schedule 40) in the 3" size. You are more likely to find it in an irrigation supply store than in a big box hardware store, although you can order it online with some of them. My husband is a retired contractor so I know random things like this. 😄

Just finished my second attempt at marble soap. When it became clear it would looking nothing like marble, I did a spoon swirl and some top swirls with a gold mica drizzle to at least pretty it up a bit. The colors aren't what I would choose if I weren't trying to replicate marble, but it should still make nice soap. Sigh.

Cut some soaps. Designs didn’t come out quite how I planned, but I like them. My preferred formula is getting dialed in. I’m getting better at clean up too, that’s huge!!
I love that middle loaf!!

Today was a disaster! I was making soap and had it in my 'pringles' can - ready for cpop. I picked it up not thinking and the bottom fell out! All over my counter, large cutting board, down my cupboards, on the floor - what a mess!!! I do have a tendency to clutziness but since starting to soap in May, have had nothing close to this happening. I had extra batter that went into an individual cavity mold that was fine and I managed to salvage about half from the cylinder - of course all the colours pretty much melded together. It will be interesting to see what it looks like. PVC pipe hunting for me next week!

On a brighter note, I made a batch 2 days ago that turned out really nice. Sort of a remake of my very first soap but with coconut milk added to the lye/water masterbatch; ground calendula flowers added to the batter and some sprinkled on top. I love it!
So sorry about the spill...may I ask how you master batch lye with coconut milk in it.....do you make it when you need it or days ahead

I just cut this goat milk soap I made yesterday. Scented with patchouli. Colors didn’t turn out as envisioned. I wanted them brighter but they turned out muted. I’m expecting an order from Mad Micas today! Yaaaay!

Attachments

• C33B5C43-9E40-48A5-A07B-B4840794801C.jpeg
    C33B5C43-9E40-48A5-A07B-B4840794801C.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 6382E964-06C7-4169-9CA2-B17EC8F73862.jpeg
    6382E964-06C7-4169-9CA2-B17EC8F73862.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 19
So sorry about the spill...may I ask how you master batch lye with coconut milk in it.....do you make it when you need it or days ahead
The milk isn't added to the masterbatch. It's called the split method. Lye/Water 1:1 then the difference of liquid required for the batch is added as milk to the oils and blended before adding the lye mixture to the oils.

A lot of places don't carry white pvc (schedule 40) in the 3" size. You are more likely to find it in an irrigation supply store than in a big box hardware store, although you can order it online with some of them. My husband is a retired contractor so I know random things like this. 😄
lucky you! :thumbs:

The milk isn't added to the masterbatch. It's called the split method. Lye/Water 1:1 then the difference of liquid required for the batch is added as milk to the oils and blended before adding the lye mixture to the oils.

Exactly! I desired you can add milk powder to the batter but I haven't done that yet.

I just finished making a lavender batch using lavender infused oil I made about 6 weeks ago. I don't have a lot of colorants just yet but mixed a couple of batches - 1 was 'gag-a-maggot' colour which I discarded and the other turned out to be a pretty nice lavender shade. I used lavender and gardenia EO's - very strong but hopefully it will make it through the saponification process. And I did my first hanger swirl! I can't wait to cut it. Admittedly most of my attempts at specific designs haven't been good replications, but are nice anyway... hoping this time will be different.

Those swirls 😍... and the colors 🥰
Thank you @TashaBird and @AliOop. I am happy with the swirl. I added another pic like the ones I see people posting of their butterfly swirls. I was going for a hippie colored soap...more rainbowish colors to match the scent but I need work on color choices. Whenever I make a new batch that’s always my struggle as I try to match the scent with the color. This batch contained a good amount of hard oils which is my go to recipe lately and it doesn’t have a whole lot of work time so I limited it to 3 colors plus the base color which I added some TD to.

I got my 3” white PVC pipe at my local Home Depot along with a cap. Maybe some stores don’t carry it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 28
Just cut “cactus flower” inspired by brambleberry fragrance oil. I also attempted a lazy Susan swirl without the lazy Susan. Lol! I really love how they turned out! This is a really nice F/O.

Attachments

• 80C5D30F-BABD-4CAC-9E36-29F02E3383ED.jpeg
    80C5D30F-BABD-4CAC-9E36-29F02E3383ED.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 520CD483-E1B6-4468-866D-C375044967A8.jpeg
    520CD483-E1B6-4468-866D-C375044967A8.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back