What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to check but I think it's from Windy Point. I'll get back to you. Yes, it's from, Windy Point. Where abouts are you located?
Few hours up the 401 from you :p
I've got a few things in my cart from both Candora and Windy Point. I have never ordered from a Canadian supplier other than NDA....the prices just seem so high! But, I have practically every FO that NDA makes and there are some other additives like SL and some ingredients that Humblebee and Me uses that I want to try, so I need to take the plunge and pay a little bit more. Stimulating the economy, amirite?

Few hours up the 401 from you :p

I've got a few things in my cart from both Candora and Windy Point. I have never ordered from a Canadian supplier other than NDA....the prices just seem so high! But, I have practically every FO that NDA makes and there are some other additives like SL and some ingredients that Humblebee and Me uses that I want to try, so I need to take the plunge and pay a little bit more. Stimulating the economy, amirite?

My daughter just moved from Toronto to Hamilton 2 months ago! And I lived in Mississauga for 25 yrs. Retirement brought me home to Windsor.
I have a mailbox in Detroit so usually order from the US but with the border closed... it will be awhile before it opens to 'casual' travelers! I find the pricing not bad at WP but of course there is shipping on everything!

My daughter just moved from Toronto to Hamilton 2 months ago! And I lived in Mississauga for 25 yrs. Retirement brought me home to Windsor.
Not quite that far up the 401 :)
Did you see that with the new USMCA, the duty-free minimum is raised from NAFTA? Something like $150 up from $20.
(BTW, I prefer the Canadian acronym, CAMUS. Easier to say than uhh-zuhm-kuh)

Not quite that far up the 401 :)
Did you see that with the new USMCA, the duty-free minimum is raised from NAFTA? Something like $150 up from $20.
(BTW, I prefer the Canadian acronym, CAMUS. Easier to say than uhh-zuhm-kuh)

We must be practically neighbors then! ;)
Our border is one of the best I think for crossing goods. On any given day I'd go to the mailbox and bring back up to $250 - $300 without comment and often they'd just wave me through... and that's just an over and back situation. I think they have a mandate that if they can't collect at least $50 in tax, then it's not worth their while to do the paperwork! I also have a Nexus card so I go through a pre-approved line which may help some. Whatever - it works for me. Or at least it did til Covid!

Welp. I tried my hand at HP for the first time.
I did a modified small batch version of Genny’s Shampoo bar. I think I let it get slightly too hot at 220F. It was honestly rather ok but I flew too close to the sun when it came to adding the additives when it cooled. Too much honey perhaps. 2 tsp in my cooled lye and 1 more tsp added with my super fat and some reserved coconut milk. Its going to be crumbly I’d say. I wish it were more fluid...I did manage to get it in the mold and get rid of some drier bits 🤦🏻‍♀️View attachment 47587
It looks great. The only tricks I have, are to hold back a little liquid (I usually hold back 2 tablespoons) and add them in after the cook. I like to add in ACV, yogurt, coconut milk, a simple sugar syrup, sodium lactate, my extra super fat and fragrance. All must be quite warm. That usually loosens up the batter to do a nice hangar swirl.

im going to try the one-pot wonder technique shortly. Being its hot process it wont look like tre maries but im giving it a shot

ETA: well that didn't go as planned. my blue base layer thickened up too fast and the other colors remained more fluid so i know there's a blob of blue in a few places. well, at least it will be colorful

Last edited:
This is my 3rd attempt at a rainbow soap! The first was a disaster; the 2nd I made in a cylinder and while it was fine, I didn't quite get the lollypop swirl I was going for.
This is my 60% lard recipe which was great to work with. Not perfect as I'm pretty sure I poured 2 of the 6 layers a bit too early so I doubt I will get nice clean lines. I think overall it will be considered a success... looking forward to the cut tomorrow!

Attachments

• Rainbow 2nd attempt.jpg
    Rainbow 2nd attempt.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
I always make beer soap so today I thought I would try the beer foam look. I thought I had it all planned out then suddenly my sensible planning brain went on hiatus and my "fly by the seat of my pants, let's try this and this" brain took control. Luckily I only do small batches and tomorrow's another day. I am hoping it turned out enough to tweak and try again.

Attachments

• 04D1DE49-70A6-4279-BF8A-9957E14D8CD4.jpeg
    04D1DE49-70A6-4279-BF8A-9957E14D8CD4.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 35
Cut some soap I made yesterday with a technique I’m calling “lazy layers”. Wrapped and labeled some soaps done curing. Put some salt soap to bed for the long sleep. Also, made my first attempt at a gradient soap, combined with my first use of confetti shavings. It was a soaptastic day!

Attachments

• DE981DA1-E01A-467F-99AF-60FCFDAF8AAF.jpeg
    DE981DA1-E01A-467F-99AF-60FCFDAF8AAF.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 04B8F249-86A0-4AC8-BCD4-599358C8C684.jpeg
    04B8F249-86A0-4AC8-BCD4-599358C8C684.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 22
  • 8E1E5A9D-39BC-4742-91DD-EF24B95DAF3D.jpeg
    8E1E5A9D-39BC-4742-91DD-EF24B95DAF3D.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2B4D1B44-401E-4409-A76D-848F0D9616AD.jpeg
    2B4D1B44-401E-4409-A76D-848F0D9616AD.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 24
Well I finally put the rope in my Rustic Beer Soaps today.. very happy with them.. next up some Coconut Ice with Madder Root layers. 😊 got my grandson next week for the school holidays so it will be a Soap-free week here..
Oh my that's fantastic. Can you remind us/point us to how you did this?
Gorgeous pic, too!

Wrapped and labeled some soaps done curing.
Your Chocolate-Basil soap is very intriguing to me, @TashaBird. Do you mind sharing your fragrance recipe? I have chocolate FO and basil EO....any recommendations about ratios? I tend to experiment with fragrances either using a roll-on and pretending it's perfume, and then escalating to using it in M&P, but then by the time you get to CP, it could all act different anyway.....

Oh my that's fantastic. Can you remind us/point us to how you did this?
Gorgeous pic, too!
Thanks...
I used 2 bottles of reduced citrus beer as half lye water...HP once cooked with PCSF, mixed AC with half. Put beer half in mold roughly, sprayed finely with Isopropyl Alcohol before adding AC pencil line.. checked it wetted -must admit I sprayed a lil bit more (very finely) before topping with AC half leaving top quite rough and dusted with AC. Then popped it in oven for 10min on 90C (which I do with any pencil lines just seems to work for me to stop them coming apart).
The best effect of dark crackle look on top from charcoal dusting is cut down to create effect thats on the side..
Just a real fun soap to do..

Your Chocolate-Basil soap is very intriguing to me, @TashaBird. Do you mind sharing your fragrance recipe? I have chocolate FO and basil EO....any recommendations about ratios? I tend to experiment with fragrances either using a roll-on and pretending it's perfume, and then escalating to using it in M&P, but then by the time you get to CP, it could all act different anyway.....
I made this soap before I’d heard of Eocalc. I just used chocolate powder for coloring and basil essential oil only. Apparently I used much more than recommended safe. But I’ve been using it on my sensitive skin daily and it seems fine. No formula. But I love basil essential oil!

Thanks...
I used 2 bottles of reduced citrus beer as half lye water...HP once cooked with PCSF, mixed AC with half. Put beer half in mold roughly, sprayed finely with Isopropyl Alcohol before adding AC pencil line.. checked it wetted -must admit I sprayed a lil bit more (very finely) before topping with AC half leaving top quite rough and dusted with AC. Then popped it in oven for 10min on 90C (which I do with any pencil lines just seems to work for me to stop them coming apart).
The best effect of dark crackle look on top from charcoal dusting is cut down to create effect thats on the side..
Just a real fun soap to do..
Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓

Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓
I don’t know how “that” rope got in, but you can poke a hole in your soap with a straw and insert a rope in that.

Back