What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally used soapcalc to make my own recipe. It's the first batch I've formulated myself and it is also a Soleseife bar. I used dead sea salt in my water, and I scented them with Bergamot Tea FO.
Love that purpleđź’ś

Today I made a slab mold and I made my hanger tool. I also made an insert to put into my tall, skinny mold to actually make it smaller for test batches. That and some window cleaning made for a fairly busy day! Now to decide which mold and soap to try tomorrow.
Thats so funny. Just got back from buying some core borad. Enjoy!

After browsing Pinterest and being a bit bored, I decided to break out my soaping stuff (it’s been put away since the pandemic hit full swing and I’ve luckily been working six days a week) and try something fun!?! I guess it’d be an embed. Some scrap soap curls (Some rose clay & Shea butter soap) with what I though would be my first 100% lard recipe but turned into what I’m calling my Lard-ish recipe! We’ll see what happens! View attachment 47521View attachment 47522
I love this curly cue idea. I saw something similar on you tube and wondered if i was brave enough to try it for xmas like the video.

I dont know if im gonna do anything soapy today. Worked overnight.

Totally planned on trying another salt bar with no fragrance or color, which i should have done the first time lol. Dont get me wrong, the ones from the other day are MUCH prettier than i thought. I think that now that i got the difficult one out of they way, the plain one should be a piece of cake lol. I just hate that feeling that everything suddenly got too fast to handle. Its nerve wracking!!

i just have soooo many soap dishes to do first. I wish i had a dishwasher lol. The dishes are what is holding me back from trying another batch

I dont know if im gonna do anything soapy today. Worked overnight.

Totally planned on trying another salt bar with no fragrance or color, which i should have done the first time lol. Dont get me wrong, the ones from the other day are MUCH prettier than i thought. I think that now that i got the difficult one out of they way, the plain one should be a piece of cake lol. I just hate that feeling that everything suddenly got too fast to handle. Its nerve wracking!!

i just have soooo many soap dishes to do first. I wish i had a dishwasher lol. The dishes are what is holding me back from trying another batch
Cleaning up after soaping is the worst part!!!

Yes, I try to clean as I go! When I measure out something, I try to put it away before I measure out the next ingredient. That doesn't always happen though lol! The bowls and stick blender are the worst though! (I HATE cleaning the stick blender lol!)

I have two sinks. So hot soapy water in one for the “safe stuff”.... oils etc. The soapy stuff, i have tried cleaning it all out or leaving it sit. It doesnt matter, its a pita either way.

Yes, I try to clean as I go! When I measure out something, I try to put it away before I measure out the next ingredient. That doesn't always happen though lol! The bowls and stick blender are the worst though! (I HATE cleaning the stick blender lol!)
And I FINALLY learned to use a separate dish sponge for soap making! Most EOs taste yucky. I’m such a miser with the EOs though! I made a way to use every drop. I use a paper towel to wipe out the container I measured them into. Then I put that paper towel in a muslin bag and hang it in my closet. Makes it smell nice in there! I also put the empty EO bottles in my sock and undies drawer until there’s no smell left. Other than that clever bit, cleaning up is still the worst part.

I am a curser, so you can insert the f bomb about every three words.

I started using a lot of disposable stuff. I know...not very environmentally friendly....but the micas stain my sink so bad!!

Even when i leave the soap dishes to dry, it still becomes a colory mica mess in my sink. My ocd is off the charts right now.

edit...yeah, that was about every three words lol

I started using a lot of disposable stuff. I know...not very environmentally friendly....but the micas stain my sink so bad!!

Even when i leave the soap dishes to dry, it still becomes a colory mica mess in my sink. My ocd is off the charts right now.
So far an oxy cleaning spray has gotten rid of the mic as I’ve used. I try to use as little single use plastic as possible. But, I’ve started saving yogurt tubs and such for mixing colors and smells.

edit...yeah, that was about every three words lol
I can %100 relate on the OCD right now too. The stress of this world really amps it up for me. That’s when crafting or making something helps.

The dishes are what is holding me back from trying another batch

Not a fan of soap dishes either; greasy if you try to do them right a way, such a waste of paper towels to wipe them down for later. But I bought some colorful microfiber towels the other day from Amazon with the intent to save on paper towels...OMG I love them! They grab onto the oils and butters and rinse cleanly...I use them both wet and dry. going to buy more.

As promise, here’s a pic of my “hanger” tool that cost me less than a dollar. Got 3ft of it off a spool at the hardware store.

Attachments

• E98866EA-058F-4E56-9809-A2ECCD4F4E80.jpeg
    E98866EA-058F-4E56-9809-A2ECCD4F4E80.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 28
  • D388550F-908B-4538-967F-8F0C1FA500FF.jpeg
    D388550F-908B-4538-967F-8F0C1FA500FF.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 28
I made a Stout & Chocolate loaf today... I used my tall, skinny loaf with the little insert I made to shorten it and only a very small amount seeped under it so a success as far as I'm concerned. I did screw up the quantities (again!). Put the dimensions in soapmakers RB but forgot to tick a specific button and got a wrong amount. I really have to learn to test the recipe by doing the math manually just to make sure. It's ok, I will give these out as samples to the men in my life and hopefully they will like them enough for me to make again. I used a FO called Oak Barrel Cider.
Oh, and I'm soooooo stoked... my new cutter arrived today! Finally I will have some straight cuts!

As promise, here’s a pic of my “hanger” tool that cost me less than a dollar. Got 3ft of it off a spool at the hardware store.
Thanks for posting - now I know what to look for.

Attachments

• Stout & Chocolate.jpg
    Stout & Chocolate.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Soap Cutter.jpg
    Soap Cutter.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 20
I just received my six 1oz bottles of fragrances that I ordered from Fragrance Buddy (recommended here) as samples. I love them all, but my favorite is Bedtime Bath🌙. I prefer florals so this one is perfect.
I also made my first Castile soap. Just can't wait to see how it is after cure.

I made a Stout & Chocolate loaf today... I used my tall, skinny loaf with the little insert I made to shorten it and only a very small amount seeped under it so a success as far as I'm concerned. I did screw up the quantities (again!). Put the dimensions in soapmakers RB but forgot to tick a specific button and got a wrong amount. I really have to learn to test the recipe by doing the math manually just to make sure. It's ok, I will give these out as samples to the men in my life and hopefully they will like them enough for me to make again. I used a FO called Oak Barrel Cider.
Oh, and I'm soooooo stoked... my new cutter arrived today! Finally I will have some straight cuts!
Nice looking cutter! I can’t cut straight to save my life. Where did you get that one?

Made my second batch of salt soap today. I really enjoy making it! It went really smoothly. I was going for a orangey yellow, and they came out a little too muddled orange. I used 10g yellow clay and 5g red clay, but I forgot the orange 10x EO is super orange. Next time I would leave out the red clay and use 15-20g yellow clay. They are scented with the 10x orange and peppermint EO and my garage smells divine!!! I rushed my last bars and got some unsightly smooshy parts. So,, this time I’m really gonna let them sit in the mold until they’re nice and hard. Everyone kept writing that the salt hardens super fast, but mine took a long time to get hard. Any idea why?

Attachments

• B515A9A9-ABA7-4849-B6F4-4A11E4DF5362.jpeg
    B515A9A9-ABA7-4849-B6F4-4A11E4DF5362.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 3A824F36-4730-4ADF-8EF2-5762A7A3B917.jpeg
    3A824F36-4730-4ADF-8EF2-5762A7A3B917.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 20
Today I got to try a cured bar of my first soap I added sugar to. I forgot to add the SL, and I added 1T PPO of sugar. It REALLY helped with Improve bubblinders! Since this batch I’ve been adding 1t PPO sugar. I am trying not to use CO, so I might increase my sugar.
Also, the EO held up pretty well. At the time I made this batch I was using what I had on hand. The weird combo of tea tree oil and ylang ylang is really great! And, I don’t like either by themselves.

Attachments

• D7A1F59D-E035-4125-8E91-44E7EC1B29FD.jpeg
    D7A1F59D-E035-4125-8E91-44E7EC1B29FD.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 30
Today I made a soap with coconut milk and aloe vera. I put it in the fridge as soon as it was made in the hope that it will not gel and so stay whiter. I have never done this before so fingers crossed.

Made this yesterday with some scraps and shamelessly stole @KiwiMoose design idea. I hope she takes it as a compliment as I love the design. Gives the confetti soap a much more interesting look. It was a bit more work as I made a separate batch for the bottom layer and waited for it to harden before I poured the confetti part. I didn’t want it to break through. Thank you @KiwiMoose for the inspiration! I scented it with a combination of Lemon Verbena, Lily Lemondrop and Coconut Lemongrass. It smells soooo good!

Attachments

• 1AE29120-2770-4DF8-ABFC-888224F362BE.jpeg
    1AE29120-2770-4DF8-ABFC-888224F362BE.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
Back