What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i was wondering what was the salt bar craze, and i am out of palm oil and lard....those are the two recipes I was using.

soooooo.....tried my hand at salt bars. **** that was a pita lol. Not sure i will do that again. I tried to clean it up with a thin skewer after, which i thought was going to be simple with no gloves on and a paper towel..... i dont think i have fingerprints anymore lol.

you can see where it went from pourable to unworkable from right to left. The last two bars at the top, i literally just squished the batter into the mold with my gloved hands. I can see through the mold. I dont have nice edges on any of them.

i tried to doctor them up a little with embeds lol

Attachments

• 57A4085F-3156-4FFF-87ED-A74FE3B6EBFE.jpeg
    57A4085F-3156-4FFF-87ED-A74FE3B6EBFE.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 7537A5A9-F4DC-47F4-949B-52CCD4F4D4A8.jpeg
    7537A5A9-F4DC-47F4-949B-52CCD4F4D4A8.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 12
Made these yesterday trying out the Walmart Tallow/Palm shortening for the first time. I think these are going to be nice bars when they are cured. They are very smooth and creamy looking. I also tried out a new to me FO. Aphrodisiac from NG. I’m liking it a lot as it’s very citrusy which I like. Hope it sticks around! View attachment 47491

Is that a specific technique? I'd to see if it's another one I can't achieve! 🤪

It was a hanger swirl, but the batter was a bit thin when I poured and swirled so got a bit of a different result than I usually do. I was pleasantly surprised when I cut it. I thought it was going to be muddled.

Love the result! I haven't tried a hanger swirl yet!

It took me awhile to find a wire hanger... now I just have to take the time to make the tool!

In addition to cutting my latest soap today, I made a tall, skinny loaf mold plus I made 2 risers which I taped together. Tomorrow I'm going to try and made some kind of insert to make this mold shorter for test batches.

Attachments

• Tall skinny loaf & riser.jpg
    Tall skinny loaf & riser.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 20
I got one super cheap on amazon last week and it delivered next day
I'm in Canada... I just looked at Amazon.ca and the cost is $47 - but the shipping is free! I saw one on Amazon.com for $12 plus $7 for shipping - not that bad actually (except the exchange rate of 1.37) but since I now have the hanger, I'll give it a try.
p.s. I live in a border city so I used to buy lots of stuff in the US and have it mailed to a US mail service but the border has been closed since March and won't be open until August if we're lucky! I sure do miss that.

I cut my One Pot Wonder today. It doesn't really look like the technique but I think it's pretty none-the-less. My technique leaves a lot to be desired. I used a turquoise and emerald green - wish the green would have been brighter. I used a FO called Jamaica Me Crazy and it is very nice and is still hanging in. Hope it survives the cure.
Beautiful swirl! I love that color combination!

After browsing Pinterest and being a bit bored, I decided to break out my soaping stuff (it’s been put away since the pandemic hit full swing and I’ve luckily been working six days a week) and try something fun!?! I guess it’d be an embed. Some scrap soap curls (Some rose clay & Shea butter soap) with what I though would be my first 100% lard recipe but turned into what I’m calling my Lard-ish recipe! We’ll see what happens!
DF7742F7-27A7-4E1B-A19C-111C99CC0DB1.jpeg
588DC31A-CCF5-4108-BD5E-0BFD49B521F7.jpeg

After browsing Pinterest and being a bit bored, I decided to break out my soaping stuff (it’s been put away since the pandemic hit full swing and I’ve luckily been working six days a week) and try something fun!?! I guess it’d be an embed. Some scrap soap curls (Some rose clay & Shea butter soap) with what I though would be my first 100% lard recipe but turned into what I’m calling my Lard-ish recipe! We’ll see what happens! View attachment 47521View attachment 47522
Can’t wait to see your results!

I'm in Canada... I just looked at Amazon.ca and the cost is $47 - but the shipping is free! I saw one on Amazon.com for $12 plus $7 for shipping - not that bad actually (except the exchange rate of 1.37) but since I now have the hanger, I'll give it a try.
p.s. I live in a border city so I used to buy lots of stuff in the US and have it mailed to a US mail service but the border has been closed since March and won't be open until August if we're lucky! I sure do miss that.

Look for Gear Ties. $47 for a swirl tool??? No way!! My husband found a broken Stainless Steel rack and he made me one out of that. It works great.

Look for Gear Ties. $47 for a swirl tool??? No way!! My husband found a broken Stainless Steel rack and he made me one out of that. It works great.
I went to the hardware store and got some thick plastic coated wire. It’s on a spool for $.30 a foot! Less than $1 I made an awesome hanger swirl tool!! I’ll try and post a pic of it later.

I went to the hardware store and got some thick plastic coated wire. It’s on a spool for $.30 a foot! Less than $1 I made an awesome hanger swirl tool!! I’ll try and post a pic of it later.
That sounds great! I bought a gear tie at the store for $4, but I want something thinner. My husband might even have some in his workshop. Definitely going to try this - thanks!

PS - you know you are a soaper when everything in the hardware store is a potential soap tool. 😂

I made a hanger tool today but I will check out the local hardware for coated wire... no doubt it will be better than what I did.

Today I made a slab mold and I made my hanger tool. I also made an insert to put into my tall, skinny mold to actually make it smaller for test batches. That and some window cleaning made for a fairly busy day! Now to decide which mold and soap to try tomorrow.

Attachments

• slab mold.jpg
    slab mold.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 17
Went into the kitchen to get started on the Soap Challenge, but had to tidy up first. One thing led to another and well...no soap, but the kitchen is clean.

ETA: Went in to wash the supper dishes and ended up making 4 lbs of soap. It’s 10:30p on the West Coast and I’m debating on where to make more or have a bowl of ice cream.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back