What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut this diagonal soap. I was inspired by the Ski to Sea race that happened every year in the area I grew up. It starts on Mt Baker and finishes at Bellingham Bay. I used Green Moss and Fern FO for the mountain and Seashore. It smells great and I'm so happy with how it looks. View attachment 47191
Gorgeous Marnie!

Today I made a Rhubarb and Rose Syrup scented soap. Sounds, and smells quite good. A bit boring to look at just yet - the bottom side is actually the top because I have a silicone mat in there.
IMG_2306.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I finally got to try my #4 batch of soap. Tallow coconut oil with basil and lemongrass eo. Apparently EOcalc says I used to much basil EO. But, I’ve used basil in massage oil off and on over the years, and I was unaware of EOcalc at the time. So, I just had a shower with it, and so far ok. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s pretty and it smells loverly! Basil EO really smells like a spicy happy to me!

Attachments

• 0FB9E7A3-BCE1-4FCF-A2D6-0D986F573BED.jpeg
    0FB9E7A3-BCE1-4FCF-A2D6-0D986F573BED.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 16
Cut My Patchouli soap today. You cant tell in the pic but there are also wisps of emerald green in the swirls. She didnt want glitter ( :oops: ) So I sprinkled it with Jojoba Beads instead.
I really like the marbled look of the soap. Is that a particular technique? I know it will take practice to even come close to that for me or any newbie. Thanks.

I really like the marbled look of the soap. Is that a particular technique? I know it will take practice to even come close to that for me or any newbie. Thanks.
Thanks! It's a HP in the pot swirl. After the cook I poured off a little batter and made one blue and one green and what was left in the crockpot, white. just poured each color in a line across the white in the crockpot and then zig zagged my spatula from top to bottom and poured it into the mold.

Rhubarb and Rose Syrup scented soap.
That sounds like it smells AMAZING. What did you use for that scent?

I got my BB order with coconut FO spilled all over everything. You cant read the labels on any other FO so you have to go by smell. I got about half of the brown oxide, but extra containers of the micas and activated charcoal. I emailed them last week to offer to pay for all the extra stuff and they havent replied. So i guess its all mine now. I tried...
My last BB order was not well packed either, and one of the FOs didn't have tape around the cap and leaked. I messaged their CS about it and they offered to send another one....and the new one had the exact same issue. No tape and leakage. At that point it wasn't worth it as I'd gotten what I paid for content wise. But it's another reason for me to start to stay away from them.

That sounds like it smells AMAZING. What did you use for that scent?

My last BB order was not well packed either, and one of the FOs didn't have tape around the cap and leaked. I messaged their CS about it and they offered to send another one....and the new one had the exact same issue. No tape and leakage. At that point it wasn't worth it as I'd gotten what I paid for content wise. But it's another reason for me to start to stay away from them.
That was the weird thing. my coconut FO had the tape around the bottle. Its like coconut was just poured all over everything.

Last night I made a small batch of soap with 34 % tallow - gosh, was it slow to trace!
I am now making another batch with 46 % tallow - gosh etc...
Tallow bars are super moisturizing...you will love it...but is it only me ....my tallow barks dont look so bright coloured

It's like distilling water with the addition of plant material. That use it in a lot of lotions and creams and cleansers you can do things like rose petals or lavender. You wind up with a distilled water that has been infused with whatever plant material you choose
I love this alot...........oil infusions too are my favorites for soap making. ....with this super sunny sunny.... oww.....my infusions just went on another level you know 🤣🤣

Just finished a small batch of my coffee scrub salt bars. I go through about one bar per month at the kitchen sink, where it is great for cleaning and deodorizing hands after gardening, cooking, etc. Since I only have six bars left, and they need at least six months to cure, it was time to restock. I actually like them much better around 8 months, so maybe I'll try to stretch out this last batch a little longer if I can.

I also made 36 bars of my lard-GM-oat soaps in a variety of cavity molds. I need a total of 120 of them cured by mid-September for a ladies' retreat with our church, so this is batch one of four. Hopefully it won't have to be a virtual retreat! 😞 These are uncolored and scented in the Reason EO blend from EOCalc.com. The next batch will be colored and probably in a high-lavender blend, which seems to be very popular when I ask what scents people like the most.

All the soaps are now tucked away on a table in the mudroom-turned-soap-curing room, and covered in these foil insulating pouches. When we order from Whole Foods via Prime Now, the cold foods are always packed in these foil pouches. When flattened out, they are the perfect size and very light weight, so they don't put dents in the soaps. If I had the right size pan to go underneath for support, I could even slide the molds right into the pouches. But on top is fine in this warm weather.

Yes, I admit, I'm cheap and I like to recycle stuff!
Soap One 6-24-20.JPG
Soap two 6-24-20.JPG

Just finished a small batch of my coffee scrub salt bars. I go through about one bar per month at the kitchen sink, where it is great for cleaning and deodorizing hands after gardening, cooking, etc. Since I only have six bars left, and they need at least six months to cure, it was time to restock. I actually like them much better around 8 months, so maybe I'll try to stretch out this last batch a little longer if I can.

I also made 36 bars of my lard-GM-oat soaps in a variety of cavity molds. I need a total of 120 of them cured by mid-September for a ladies' retreat with our church, so this is batch one of four. Hopefully it won't have to be a virtual retreat! 😞 These are uncolored and scented in the Reason EO blend from EOCalc.com. The next batch will be colored and probably in a high-lavender blend, which seems to be very popular when I ask what scents people like the most.

All the soaps are now tucked away on a table in the mudroom-turned-soap-curing room, and covered in these foil insulating pouches. When we order from Whole Foods via Prime Now, the cold foods are always packed in these foil pouches. When flattened out, they are the perfect size and very light weight, so they don't put dents in the soaps. If I had the right size pan to go underneath for support, I could even slide the molds right into the pouches. But on top is fine in this warm weather.

Yes, I admit, I'm cheap and I like to recycle stuff! View attachment 47239View attachment 47240
This is a great idea.....why no recycle.....yes I love recycling

Cut My Patchouli soap today. You cant tell in the pic but there are also wisps of emerald green in the swirls. She didnt want glitter ( :oops: ) So I sprinkled it with Jojoba Beads instead.

View attachment 47210
I love you picture station you know

I attempted to make a 'woodgrain' technique soap. I don't have many colours so decided to do black, white & silver. My FO's accelerated my batter a bit... the first part went well, but by the time I was finishing, it was much thicker. It will be interesting to see what the inside looks like.
On another note, I made my own tall, skinny, loaf from corrugated plastic. You can see that I did not fill the mold. I used my regular 1000 gr of oil which is obvously not enough for this mold.
I was asking earlier about calculating thee amount a vessel like this might hold and the formula given is LxWxHx .04. Am I right that the result of this calculation will give me the amount of oils to use in this size mold? The result of my calculation is approx 1600 gr which means I should adjust my recipes to 1600 gr of oil rather than the 1000 gr presently using. Am I on the right track?

I didn't even think of this when I was making the soap which is a bit disappointing.
Just thinking of trying making a mould out too. .watching YouTube videos at the moment though...fingers crossed

Un-molded all the soap favors for our Ladies' conference, as well as my scrubby-coffee salt soaps. I'm trying to make a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and scents. This latest batch wasn't colored, but the next ones will be.

Some of the soaps on the rack are from other batches. The ones with green color are from the June un-challenge and are refills for family and friends who request my GM-Lard or GM-Lard-Oatmeal soaps. Others are just leftovers from other batches that I'm leaving out for a longer cure, just to see what happens.

I don't usually make this quantity of soaps at one time, so I may *need* to find a bigger curing rack. My fear is that would encourage me to make even MORE soap. I currently limit myself to what I can fit on the rack and in the bathrooms. Ummm, and maybe one other (big) bag up on a shelf. That bag is full of older stuff that I don't like as much, although I must say, as I'm pulling out the occasional bar now after 1-2 years of curing, they are so much nicer than they used to be. Curing apparently cures many things. 😁

Soaps 3 6-24-20.JPG
Soaps 4 6-24-20.JPG
Soaps 5 6-24-20.JPG

Last edited:
Not today, and not soapy, but I made a memorial hurricane shell for my sister. She lost her hub end of May. This is the pic she gave me for this.
I still need to smooth out the top a little but once the top is smoothed, just put one of those battery operate tealights down inside of it, and it's done.
It really does look better IRL.
(ETA: I made this yesterday)

20200625_154716.jpg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back