What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that part removable? Maybe they would send you a new one that would resolve the unevenness. I have a Bud Cutter and I’ve noticed that that same adjustment part didn’t seem perfectly square either but I don’t notice any problem with the cuts when I use it. It is removable so if it were an Issue I would have asked for a replacement.

Yes it is. and I thought about doing that. I want to give it every chance first though and see if its noticeable on the bars.

Cut this diagonal soap. I was inspired by the Ski to Sea race that happened every year in the area I grew up. It starts on Mt Baker and finishes at Bellingham Bay. I used Green Moss and Fern FO for the mountain and Seashore. It smells great and I'm so happy with how it looks.
IMG_20200623_094654_332.jpg

Cut this diagonal soap. I was inspired by the Ski to Sea race that happened every year in the area I grew up. It starts on Mt Baker and finishes at Bellingham Bay. I used Green Moss and Fern FO for the mountain and Seashore. It smells great and I'm so happy with how it looks. View attachment 47191
Beautiful soap and Mt. Baker to Bellingham Bay is a beautiful route. We used to drive up to Mt. Baker pretty much every summer, and especially if my parents had company from NL.

Yep it was and it is really beautiful and Im happy with everything else. Im hoping im just seeing things. Ill know tomorrow because in making patchouli (yuck) soap tonight. Cant stand the smell but a regular customer ordered a loaf so I couldnt say no.

Ive been eyeballing their Micas. have you tried them?
I have only tried one of the sample micas they sent me - it was a gold mica. It was ..gold. :) I tend to stick to Mad Micas, Nurture Soap, or Micas and More for mica colors. And I have so many I don't need to order any more lol.

Patchouli - ew. I use it as a base note for blends on occasion, but if it takes over the scent I can't do it. Smells like wet dirt. Which is not pleasant to me.

I have only tried one of the sample micas they sent me - it was a gold mica. It was ..gold. :) I tend to stick to Mad Micas, Nurture Soap, or Micas and More for mica colors. And I have so many I don't need to order any more lol.

Patchouli - ew. I use it as a base note for blends on occasion, but if it takes over the scent I can't do it. Smells like wet dirt. Which is not pleasant to me.

I dont like it either. It was a special order for a full loaf so I bit the bullet. Im actually thinking of making another batch of soap now just to replace the lingering scent lol

I used to be a patchouli hater, but it is growing on me as a good base note in blends, or used at very low rates as a single EO. But it still overwhelms me whenever the soap is newly made. I have to put it behind closed doors for at least the first week, or my whole house smells like all patch, all the time. o_O

Still rendering lard. NEVER doing this again. Reading the process online seems so simple, but in my usual clumsy manner I have managed to make a real mess doing it. I think when I'm done I'll have enough to MB into only 24lbs. Will see, might end up splitting it up with the tallow. I will be running test batches before I put it into my MB to make sure it doesn't cause DOS. The ladies who did my rendering for me were seriously underpaid (in soap). Probably a good thing they liked me, because I sure don't like myself right now.

This week's to do list is making body wash and messing around with embeds. Now that I finally invested in liquid gold (Tocopherol T50 blend), I'll be playing around with some lotion making, but that will probably be next week.

Still rendering lard. NEVER doing this again. Reading the process online seems so simple, but in my usual clumsy manner I have managed to make a real mess doing it. I think when I'm done I'll have enough to MB into only 24lbs. Will see, might end up splitting it up with the tallow. I will be running test batches before I put it into my MB to make sure it doesn't cause DOS. The ladies who did my rendering for me were seriously underpaid (in soap). Probably a good thing they liked me, because I sure don't like myself right now.

This week's to do list is making body wash and messing around with embeds. Now that I finally invested in liquid gold (Tocopherol T50 blend), I'll be playing around with some lotion making, but that will probably be next week.
Rats, sorry you are having such a terrible time of it. I used to feel that way before using the electric turkey roaster. But I get that's not an investment everyone wants to make ($25 plus the space to store this large item). Hope the end product is to your liking!!

I attempted to make a 'woodgrain' technique soap. I don't have many colours so decided to do black, white & silver. My FO's accelerated my batter a bit... the first part went well, but by the time I was finishing, it was much thicker. It will be interesting to see what the inside looks like.
On another note, I made my own tall, skinny, loaf from corrugated plastic. You can see that I did not fill the mold. I used my regular 1000 gr of oil which is obvously not enough for this mold.
I was asking earlier about calculating thee amount a vessel like this might hold and the formula given is LxWxHx .04. Am I right that the result of this calculation will give me the amount of oils to use in this size mold? The result of my calculation is approx 1600 gr which means I should adjust my recipes to 1600 gr of oil rather than the 1000 gr presently using. Am I on the right track?

I didn't even think of this when I was making the soap which is a bit disappointing.

Attachments

• DIY mold.jpg
    DIY mold.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Woodgrain 2.jpg
    Woodgrain 2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Woodgrain 1.jpg
    Woodgrain 1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 18
I attempted to make a 'woodgrain' technique soap. I don't have many colours so decided to do black, white & silver. My FO's accelerated my batter a bit... the first part went well, but by the time I was finishing, it was much thicker. It will be interesting to see what the inside looks like.
On another note, I made my own tall, skinny, loaf from corrugated plastic. You can see that I did not fill the mold. I used my regular 1000 gr of oil which is obvously not enough for this mold.
I was asking earlier about calculating thee amount a vessel like this might hold and the formula given is LxWxHx .04. Am I right that the result of this calculation will give me the amount of oils to use in this size mold? The result of my calculation is approx 1600 gr which means I should adjust my recipes to 1600 gr of oil rather than the 1000 gr presently using. Am I on the right track?

I didn't even think of this when I was making the soap which is a bit disappointing.
Mold looks good and soap looks pretty! Yes, those are the correct adjustments to make. If you use Soapmaking Friend for the calculator, you can also put in the mold dimensions there to get the correct batch size.

Mold looks good and soap looks pretty! Yes, those are the correct adjustments to make. If you use Soapmaking Friend for the calculator, you can also put in the mold dimensions there to get the correct batch size.
Ah, I didn't know that about Soapmaking Friend - thanks for that tip! I'm going to look now. I just looked at it - THANKS! Such a great feature!

I received my order from brambleberry. The coconut creme fo is low on volume and the raspberry mica is all over the place Grrrr. Not happy.
On the flip side, I found a local fresh goat milk supplier. Woohoo!
I got my BB order with coconut FO spilled all over everything. You cant read the labels on any other FO so you have to go by smell. I got about half of the brown oxide, but extra containers of the micas and activated charcoal. I emailed them last week to offer to pay for all the extra stuff and they havent replied. So i guess its all mine now. I tried...

I got my BB order with coconut FO spilled all over everything. You cant read the labels on any other FO so you have to go by smell. I got about half of the brown oxide, but extra containers of the micas and activated charcoal. I emailed them last week to offer to pay for all the extra stuff and they havent replied. So i guess its all mine now. I tried...
at least you tried

Latest posts

Back