What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing soapy for the last few days as we are on a little camping getaway in PA with two of the kids for a few days. Although on the way here we did stop at Candles and Supplies to pick up a few things i had ordered as they are right along our route..so I guess that counts! Spotty internet in the mountains of PA but I’ve been checking in here and there. It’s so beautiful here.

Attachments

• B524C3BF-B3E4-44D0-8BBB-ECC993E438FF.jpeg
    B524C3BF-B3E4-44D0-8BBB-ECC993E438FF.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 17
I think it's a little different if it is unrendered... that does have to be refrigerated since otherwise, the meat bits will go bad. Once rendered, then yes, no refrigeration is needed as long as it is very clean (no water and no meat residue). I still refrigerate mine, just in case I missed some bits that could make it go rancid.
right, but I thought she said it was in the fridge?

right, but I thought she said it was in the fridge?
It is in the fridge, but that doesn't mean the meat bits won't go bad. As I sell, I would be hesitant to use it [if the meat spoiled before I could render it] and risk DOS. I did defrost in the fridge, so I imagine I could throw it back in the freezer and refreeze it if it looks like it will be longer than Sunday before I get to it.

My body wash bottles and sugar scrub jars came today, so body wash will be on the list for next week too. I think I've picked out all my 2021 scents, so now will be searching YT for design inspiration and/or if any of the scents caused other soapers problems. I've almost got my master FO list created with scent descriptions, links to supplier website, supplier notes and my own notes for behavior, vanillan content, and usage rates. This will hopefully make it easier for me to use up fragrances. Although I was upset when I saw NG no longer has Cracklin Birch!! I use that in one of my brewery soaps, so now I will need to find a replacement.

This is what I did today. My huckleberry goat milk soap is cooling down from cpop and I can't wait to cut it! And on a side note I got an order from Brambleberry and called them to complain because quite a bit of oil was gone and the mica was all over the place. I got an email the next day to replace an 8 oz bottle of coconut f/o and a large jar of mica

Attachments

• 83264704_10157364924731778_2102255791082935829_o.jpg
    83264704_10157364924731778_2102255791082935829_o.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 10
My soap cutter came today! :dance:

Now that the happy dance is over, I noticed the block you move back and forth to determine bar thickness s just a smidge uneven. Its enough to be noticeable when looking from above the block but measurement wise, its a tiny amount. Im going to have to make soap and cut the bars to see if its noticeable in the bars but im not even sure what to do if it is. it took 3 weeks to get here as it is.

It's been far too long since I soaped or came on the forum, but I made a batch a couple days ago scented with white tea and ginger FO. The colors turned out more pastel than I was imagining, particularly because I forced gel, but I think it looks like strawberry ice cream and cotton candy so I'm still happy with it. Very summery!

Made a batch of MP for a friend who "commissioned" (in quotes because I'm not really selling yet) a batch for her partner's birthday. Custom scent and tried a new layering/swirling technique.
and yesterday I made a batch of CP using a new technique as well and everything went smooth as silk(well nearly. I did spill a bit of coconut oil).
:dance:I legit did a happy dance.

Now that the happy dance is over, I noticed the block you move back and forth to determine bar thickness s just a smidge uneven. Its enough to be noticeable when looking from above the block but measurement wise, its a tiny amount. Im going to have to make soap and cut the bars to see if its noticeable in the bars but im not even sure what to do if it is. it took 3 weeks to get here as it is.

Is that part removable? Maybe they would send you a new one that would resolve the unevenness. I have a Bud Cutter and I’ve noticed that that same adjustment part didn’t seem perfectly square either but I don’t notice any problem with the cuts when I use it. It is removable so if it were an Issue I would have asked for a replacement.

I gave some of my goat milk soaps to family members at my father-in-law’s memorial. He owned and loved goats bc he enjoyed their quirky personalities. Pics attached show just some of the huge carpet of wildflowers up on the mountain in Wyoming where we celebrated his life.

View attachment 47146View attachment 47147
Beautiful

I cut the soap that went so well the other day aaaannnnd realized I totally underestimated discoloration from vanillin.
:mad:
Welp. Lesson learned. Now let's hope I remember this lesson next time.

I had great fun today doing an experiment with crayons as colorants! I couldn't find a lot of information about this, and felt like I had to see it with my own eyes before I accepted what I did find. So I just went for it. It's in the oven now CPOPing, which i also never do so that's exciting too. Normally I prefer the creamy look of ungel-ed, but since I'm going for color this seemed the best way to see what could be achieved.

They look good now, but who knows what happens next...

IMG_20200622_150157102.jpg

I had great fun today doing an experiment with crayons as colorants! I couldn't find a lot of information about this, and felt like I had to see it with my own eyes before I accepted what I did find. So I just went for it. It's in the oven now CPOPing, which i also never do so that's exciting too. Normally I prefer the creamy look of ungel-ed, but since I'm going for color this seemed the best way to see what could be achieved.

They look good now, but who knows what happens next...

View attachment 47172
I’d love to see the finished soaps.

Was it from Workshop Heritage? (looks like mine from your picture) If it does cut uneven, be sure to contact them right away. I have had good service from that company. They are a bit slow to ship but I think that is because their business has really taken off and they make everything themselves.

Dropping to see what everyone has been up to. I haven't been making soap because I'm completely loaded down with it lol. My son informed me he needs shaving soap though, so I will probably be making some this weekend. If I can figure out which recipe version it is he likes - kicking myself at my poor notes.

Was it from Workshop Heritage? (looks like mine from your picture) If it does cut uneven, be sure to contact them right away. I have had good service from that company. They are a bit slow to ship but I think that is because their business has really taken off and they make everything themselves.

Yep it was and it is really beautiful and Im happy with everything else. Im hoping im just seeing things. Ill know tomorrow because in making patchouli (yuck) soap tonight. Cant stand the smell but a regular customer ordered a loaf so I couldnt say no.

Ive been eyeballing their Micas. have you tried them?

Latest posts

Back