What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't made soap for ages, so I went in and reviewed, edited, and printed my recipes on Soapmaking Friend.
My musings...How easy it all looks on video, but to create an actual formulation that suits your particular style of soapmaking and then achieve a useful manufacture of same...now that's what I call professional artisan.
Cant wait to get back into it!

I will be making my first Shampoo Bar today... it's a straight forward coconut milk bar from Natural Soap Making. Wish me luck!

what is hydrosol?
It's like distilling water with the addition of plant material. That use it in a lot of lotions and creams and cleansers you can do things like rose petals or lavender. You wind up with a distilled water that has been infused with whatever plant material you choose

The first half of my leaf lard has been rendered and is gorgeous: clear, no smell, and very pure white as it cools.

For $2/lb, plus gas to pick it up, and a few hours of my time, I got just under 13 lbs of rendered leaf lard from ~16.5 lbs of leaf fat.

And the chickens got the small pile of cracklins, so everybody is happy.

After finishing up the second half of my lard rendering project, the final tally was almost 5 gallons of pure leaf lard. Hoping to soap this evening, but if not, then tomorrow evening for sure. I need to make another run at the Half-N-Half Unchallenge, since the first bars turned out so blah. This time I will not be experimenting with any untried scents, either. 😩

Made vegan palm free soap dough for the first time and messed around with some pink grapefruit slices. Won’t be adding texture to them next time as they look shriveled when dry. I’m sure it won’t matter much as an embed. I just need to refine my scale. These were bigger than I intended. It will be interesting to see how/if
232E61F3-53A7-4217-92FC-95E703E56D8C.jpeg
I can streamline the production of modeling it.
00044828-2552-4AB3-86AE-9B5CBC918DAA.jpeg

I took 25lbs of unrendered lard out of the freezer to thaw. I'm hoping it's still good (been in the freezer awhile), and if it is then I'll be rendering it down this week. I'm going to make a few test batches of soap using my own rendered lard, store bought lard, and some unscented lard that a forum member scent me. Tallow is nice, but I miss my lard soaps!

Photographed, packaged and labeled a few soaps. Boxed up stock to switch out at the peddlers market. Now to get my website updated! Oh, and messing around with embeds and starting to plan my 2021 lineup (now that I have 2020 done, ha!).

After finishing up the second half of my lard rendering project, the final tally was almost 5 gallons of pure leaf lard. Hoping to soap this evening, but if not, then tomorrow evening for sure. I need to make another run at the Half-N-Half Unchallenge, since the first bars turned out so blah. This time I will not be experimenting with any untried scents, either. 😩
I think you need to make at least one pie with your lovely leaf lard!

The only soapy thing I did today was cut a madder colored soap I made yesterday. It turned orange when it gelled. Huh???? First time I had that happen. The ungelled leftover soap is a lovely pink...

@Mobjack Bay My husband agrees with you about the pie 😂 but that would take away from soaping time! I am making 150 smaller soaps for an event in September, so my goal is to get those done first. After that, pie may happen if any leaf lard remains. And if not, then it is back to the butcher for more. :)

I made a soap today using my masterbatched lye! Holy cow, that sure makes soapin' life easier! Love it! Thank you all for making it so easy to do with all the information on this forum!

Here is the soap - tried a 50% palm recipe because I ordered a gallon of palm oil back during the lockdown and now need to find a good recipe to use it up with. I used NG Bite Me FO for the fragrance...smells like Fruit Punch, so this is a red, pink and white soap that will go to my young nieces for Christmas.
IMG_20200615_150212320.jpg

I am also working on a 50-50 Unchallenge Soap. Hope to get it made tomorrow or Wednesday.

I remade my Beeswax & Honey Soap (the other one took forever to trace, then never got hard, then started oozing oils)... the 2nd batch was a success. It feels great and smells of lemongrass! I think this is a keeper.

Attachments

• Beeswax & Honey.jpg
    Beeswax & Honey.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 15
I made a soap today using my masterbatched lye! Holy cow, that sure makes soapin' life easier! Love it! Thank you all for making it so easy to do with all the information on this forum!

Here is the soap - tried a 50% palm recipe because I ordered a gallon of palm oil back during the lockdown and now need to find a good recipe to use it up with. I used NG Bite Me FO for the fragrance...smells like Fruit Punch, so this is a red, pink and white soap that will go to my young nieces for Christmas.
View attachment 46992

I am also working on a 50-50 Unchallenge Soap. Hope to get it made tomorrow or Wednesday.
I am super impressed that you swirled a 50% palm recipe. It looks good.

Latest posts

Back