What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious abt this technique... is this an embed that goes thru the whole soap? It almost looks like it's sitting on top of the soap. Thanks,
It’s just an embed that is pressed into the top. I wasn’t able to find a deep mold for this type of embed. I purchased it on Etsy and that shop is now closed and I’m trying to find another source. It’s just something I experimented with as he actually asked for it.

Who else mixes honey into lye?
My question is... why? I add it to my oils, mix my oils thoroughly with a stick blender, and then add the lye solution. A much safer method, as well as keeps my honey from scorching.

I mixed up my lye solution over lunch... then noticed the overflowing tote of dirty dishes. Guess I need to wash some of those before I can make soap, so soapy gratification will be delayed. I'm going to do my unchallenge soap, which coincidentally will finish out my regular lineup of soaps. Whew! I've been working on this lineup since last September. I might have made too much soap -said no one ever.

I worked on labels during a long boring meeting this morning (thank goodness for working from home! haha). So I'll be printing those out later this week. My website needs updating. My inventory needs updating. And then I need to make some signage for the peddlers market. And probably remind my husband that he needs to build me another shelf for my show the end of July. I just got confirmation that it's a go, and it will be my first show of the year.

My question is... why? I add it to my oils, mix my oils thoroughly with a stick blender, and then add the lye solution. A much safer method, as well as keeps my honey from scorching.

I mixed up my lye solution over lunch... then noticed the overflowing tote of dirty dishes. Guess I need to wash some of those before I can make soap, so soapy gratification will be delayed. I'm going to do my unchallenge soap, which coincidentally will finish out my regular lineup of soaps. Whew! I've been working on this lineup since last September. I might have made too much soap -said no one ever.

I worked on labels during a long boring meeting this morning (thank goodness for working from home! haha). So I'll be printing those out later this week. My website needs updating. My inventory needs updating. And then I need to make some signage for the peddlers market. And probably remind my husband that he needs to build me another shelf for my show the end of July. I just got confirmation that it's a go, and it will be my first show of the year.
Multitasking at the height of it..great job......

Oh.My.Goodness. I am so excited! I found a Craigslist ad for someone who raises hogs and works with a custom butcher. I emailed him to ask about the fat, and he just called back.

Long story short, I'll be picking up 50-60 lbs of ground pork fat on Monday. WOOHOO. I do have to render it myself, but that's what my big turkey roaster is for. I just plug that baby in outside so the smells don't stink up the house.

Since the price of lard has recently skyrocketed around here, I'm just thrilled, because lard soaps are my most-requested. I don't sell, but do a lot of gifting or making batches for cost for friends.

If anyone else is in the Boise, ID area, and you'd like some of this as well, please message me privately and I'll connect you with the supplier.

ETA: he asked if I preferred "flake" lard, because other soapmakers have asked for that. I've heard of leaf lard, which is amazing for baking. I just looked up flake, but only found info about "tender flake" lard. It sounds like it is primarily a baking thing. Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations on that issue?

Oh.My.Goodness. I am so excited! I found a Craigslist ad for someone who raises hogs and works with a custom butcher. I emailed him to ask about the fat, and he just called back.

Long story short, I'll be picking up 50-60 lbs of ground pork fat on Monday. WOOHOO. I do have to render it myself, but that's what my big turkey roaster is for. I just plug that baby in outside so the smells don't stink up the house.

Since the price of lard has recently skyrocketed around here, I'm just thrilled, because lard soaps are my most-requested. I don't sell, but do a lot of gifting or making batches for cost for friends.

If anyone else is in the Boise, ID area, and you'd like some of this as well, please message me privately and I'll connect you with the supplier.

ETA: he asked if I preferred "flake" lard, because other soapmakers have asked for that. I've heard of leaf lard, which is amazing for baking. I just looked up flake, but only found info about "tender flake" lard. It sounds like it is primarily a baking thing. Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations on that issue?

What a fabulous score! Lucky you! :nodding:

This is amazing! I've been trying to find a local butcher in hopes of rendering my own, but haven't found anything yet.

I tried my hand at some more 'artsy' looking soap.
Some of them got a bit messed up because I had to move the mold when they were setting up and it crinkled the top, but I was pretty happy with how they turned out for a second attempt at designs. 😁

Attachments

• 20200601_174709.jpg
    20200601_174709.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200601_174053.jpg
    20200601_174053.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200601_174232.jpg
    20200601_174232.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200601_175346.jpg
    20200601_175346.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200601_174450.jpg
    20200601_174450.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200601_174835.jpg
    20200601_174835.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 21

it gives a much whiter lard than just ground pig fat. I get leaf or flake lard from my butcher and am so impressed by it. No smell, no cleaning it. Great stuff

it gives a much whiter lard than just ground pig fat. I get leaf or flake lard from my butcher and am so impressed by it. No smell, no cleaning it. Great stuff
Thanks so much! He promised to save me all of the leaf from nine hogs, which should be 50-60 lbs of ground leaf. And he will have it ready by Friday instead of Monday!

I do have to render it, so I don't know how much that will end up being after rendering. It's awesome to hear that it will turn out whiter and cleaner. I suddenly have two family members and two friends clamoring for my goat-milk lard bars, so I'll be rendering this weekend and then soaping after that. Yay!

Thanks so much! He promised to save me all of the leaf from nine hogs, which should be 50-60 lbs of ground leaf. And he will have it ready by Friday instead of Monday!

I do have to render it, so I don't know how much that will end up being after rendering. It's awesome to hear that it will turn out whiter and cleaner. I suddenly have two family members and two friends clamoring for my goat-milk lard bars, so I'll be rendering this weekend and then soaping after that. Yay!
I don't render above 200 degrees and it comes out pure white

then you are truly lucky! And with this type of fat there is VERY LITTLE cracklins!

Had a spinal injection yesterday so today its starting to kick in so I decided to make soap. Im working on my unchallenge soap tonight. I wound up cancelling my order for the Mica because the size on the picture was not the actual size of the jar.. I did take that money and order a wand heat sealer which will be here Friday. :dance: still waiting on my soap cutter to ship. said 1-2 weeks to ship on the listing but was hoping for the one week..

Gosh all this talk of rendering makes me think I should tackle the 25lbs in my freezer...

I am finally done with my soap lineup. I'm going to start tinkering with some embeds for custom soaps, that I really don't need to make until Sept 1, so lots of time to get things just right. Maybe start planning the lineup for 2021 soaps. Or just hang out in my hammock and enjoy the summer!

Gosh all this talk of rendering makes me think I should tackle the 25lbs in my freezer...

I am finally done with my soap lineup. I'm going to start tinkering with some embeds for custom soaps, that I really don't need to make until Sept 1, so lots of time to get things just right. Maybe start planning the lineup for 2021 soaps. Or just hang out in my hammock and enjoy the summer!

I vote for the hammock!

Just following on from my postings in "First Goats Milk Soap"....as I sent it off topic :(
I finally cut that bar of oatmilk soap I made 4 days ago...it's okay but still pretty soft and crumbled a bit at the end of the cut. I probably put too much oatmeal in it too (2 Tbs per 500 g). Might need a long cure....!
Thanks Arimara for the vote of confidence :) I didn't put the lye in the fridge overnight after all. As the overnight forecast was for 1 degree, I decided to just leave it outside. I was surprised in the morning when I checked it that temp read 22 C ? So I heated my oils with all their additives (that had been sitting overnight) to 27 C..... then added the lye.
IMG_20200613_121118.jpgIMG_20200613_115802.jpg
Now I'm off to make Goat's Milk soap....using powdered goats milk and your method Zany...:thumbs: 🤞

Back