What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure in the superfat at the beginning. I usually use simple syrup with my colorants and sometimes coconut milk or yogurt but this time I was specifically testing the jojoba beads so I didnt want anything else added besides fragrance. I used Blue Volcano for the FO and it is soooo my new favorite. Just ordered a bigger bottle.
I'd love to hear how you like the soap.

Made a spin swirl soap scented with Dark Patchouli (below). I made another soap with Sweet Cakes' Fall Foliage FO which smells amazing (think fig leaf, amber, violet). I went a little bit more bold on the color pallete for that one so we will see how it comes out. 🤞

patchouli cut 5 1 2020.jpeg

Up early this am again...unmolded one of yesterday’s soaps. A confetti soap that I made from one of last months challenge soaps. I had scened the original soap with peppermint so I added some more peppermint and a small amount of patchouli so I’m calling it Peppermint Patch! Smells soooo good!
A6F99B31-660B-48CD-8D38-01EBF91AE267.jpeg

Finally pulled the trigger on a single wire soap cutter. I bought if off Amazon for about $90 and the reviews are pretty good.

The shipping is free and so it puts the price in the ballpark of the less expensive ones on Etsy.

And....it'll be here in like a week! Fingers crossed, I hope it's good. I'm gonna make so many professional cuts to my very unprofessional looking soap!!!
If you don't mind, could you post a link? I too am looking for a single wire cutter and have looked all over online -- but the shipping costs are too much for my budget. Thanks,

I haven't done anything soapy since I made the April challenge soap. Mostly because my soap dungeon is currently in shambles as I'm replacing the rickety plastic card table I was using with an actual cabinet countertop. I'll have 2 feet less work space, but at least it will be at a better working height and not wobble when I mix/pour soap. Plus storage space underneath it will fit the microwave, so really... I'll have the same amount of work space in the end... But once everything is put back together I'll be working on sugar scrubs. I guess everyone decided to come out of shelter in place with well exfoliated skin because I'm completely out and have people patiently waiting for more.

[rambly off topic commentary...] I was hoping to have new flooring put in the soap dungeon too, but that's onhold because the two big shows I was doing in June and July have been cancelled, and the hubby plans to move me to a bigger room when the next kid moves out so he can take over my current space for his beer brewing. I'm ok waiting for flooring if that's the case, lol.

Anyways... on the planned agenda... sugar scrubs, restocking citronella soap, a few custom orders (mostly B&B, soap orders for Christmas will start coming next month), and maybe a couple OMH soaps if I can figure out designs that work with the soap (they move fast for me because milk, honey and stearic acid, so not much play time usually). Although I'm feeling itchy to make some soap dough and do some fun soaps... I need to quit my FT job so I can play more.

I got a "high 5" today on a soap made with soy wax, shea, 30% RBO and some other liquid oils. That's the most RBO I've used to date. It had to outcompete at least a dozen other test bars in the shower, which is saying a lot because I've been tweaking my recipes for a year now.

Ive had my finger on the soy wax button for a while now. I really want to try it.

Ive had my finger on the soy wax button for a while now. I really want to try it.
I fretted for months about working at the higher temperature required when using soy wax, but haven't had any issues, except ash. I use soy wax at 20-30% of the recipe. i tried one batch @ 40%, but my EO blend accelerated like crazy - a true soap on a stick disaster!

I fretted for months about working at the higher temperature required when using soy wax, but haven't had any issues, except ash. I use soy wax at 20-30% of the recipe. i tried one batch @ 40%, but my EO blend accelerated like crazy - a true soap on a stick disaster!

That has been my hesitation as well, but I think I’m going to get over that and order some! Have heard so many positive results using it.

Well, since I have completed 14 tallow experiments and I am really liking the soaps, I figured it was time to get over my aversion to lard in soaps, so I bought some for the next series of experiments.

At 29 pesos per 500 gms, that translates to about $1.50 per pound US or 10 cents an ounce, it costs the same as the olive oil I get locally, so no cost benefit.

The lather I got in the shower yesterday from a tallow/OO/CO/5% castor bar was insane, I love lather. It was a bubble party and was the only one I lost the print out of the soapcalc page, so not sure what percentages I put in it.

IMG_0584.jpg

Latest posts

Back