What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I labeled soap today and packed it up to ship off to my son, nephews and friends. It took most of the day. I need to come up with a better way, or just stop making so much soap :hairpulling:

Cut my ‘Dirty Snow’ soap. Any suggestions on a name for it please?
View attachment 45658View attachment 45659

Following on what was mentioned above, this looks like a confetti version of a "Black Tie Affair" soap to me, NOT dirty snow or ice cream

Just poured a one pound test batch of soap with jojoba beads. I know some will melt in the HP batter but I believe an amount didnt. I used white batter and its a pale blue now so some did (Blue beads) Im interested in both the texture and the feeling of the soap when used. The texture and how much of it melted, Ill know tomorrow.

I finished my first batch of loofah soap in a Pringles can.

I used a fragrance called crisp apple rose from BB that is supposed to work well in CP soap and I haven't had a problem with their other fragrances behaving poorly, but when I was pouring this one into the mold it had like....clumps in it. It was weird.

I also learned that given my decision to cut the bottom of the can to fully line the mold it was risky to fill the mold to the top, because the cap in the bottom looks like it's ready to give at any moment.

I've had problems doing soap designs and swirls at emulsion and all the colors bleeding into each other. So this time I promised myself I'd wait.

I SBed to emulsion and set the timer for five minutes. That batter went from emulsion to medium trace in like five minutes!!!

Next time I'm honestly going to just sit there and stare at it.

ohh believe you me, I so much as blink and I get soap on a stick....!

I have yet to make proper swirls in my soaps.... but thats bc I don't use FO that behaves half the time

So, I posted yesterday that I had just made my very first solo batch... I was going to leave it in the mould for 48 hours, but after some great advice from a couple of SMF members, I decided to unmould after 24... it's a plain, unscented bar, partly to test the process making soap by myself and partly to see if it will work as a sensitive skin recipe for my Dad... It's now unmoulded, cut, and on a rack in a drawer in a cupboard for the next 6 weeks... I'm actually a little bit chuffed with it! 🥰 Here are some pics...

Attachments

• 20200503_134830.jpg
    20200503_134830.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 39
I sent a box of soap over to a friend who opened it this morning. Her son had a kidney transplant right before the pandemic started and it's been rough on the entire family. They all like handmade soap, so I sent a good assortment. One of the soaps I packed for her was a test bar scented with a Freesia FO. She just called to tell me that Freesia is one of her favorite flowers. Yay!

Finally pulled the trigger on a single wire soap cutter. I bought if off Amazon for about $90 and the reviews are pretty good.

The shipping is free and so it puts the price in the ballpark of the less expensive ones on Etsy.

And....it'll be here in like a week! Fingers crossed, I hope it's good. I'm gonna make so many professional cuts to my very unprofessional looking soap!!!

So, I posted yesterday that I had just made my very first solo batch... I was going to leave it in the mould for 48 hours, but after some great advice from a couple of SMF members, I decided to unmould after 24... it's a plain, unscented bar, partly to test the process making soap by myself and partly to see if it will work as a sensitive skin recipe for my Dad... It's now unmoulded, cut, and on a rack in a drawer in a cupboard for the next 6 weeks... I'm actually a little bit chuffed with it! 🥰 Here are some pics...
I would place something between the soap and the metal bars - soap and metals do not mix well. I place a thin tea towel over my metal racks (and they are painted metal, not bare metal as your racks appear). But you could use most anything light - even a few paper towels.

Soap looks very creamy. Nice job! Ditto on the wire racks, get some cardboard under it or you'll start seeing discoloration on your soaps from the metal

Ok so here are my results with the jojoba beads. the inside ones melted but it created a cool marbled design. The blue is brighter than it appears in the photos.

View attachment 45738View attachment 45739

Now just have to wait till after the cure to see how the added Jojoba beads affects the soap.
I have questions! Is this hot process or cold process soap? And if it is HP, when did you add the jojoba beads? Was the soap pretty hot still? Did you add anything else after the cook?

I have questions! Is this hot process or cold process soap? And if it is HP, when did you add the jojoba beads? Was the soap pretty hot still? Did you add anything else after the cook?
It's HP and I added the jojoba beads right before I put it in the mold. I did not use any other additives or swirl it at all I just stirred in the jojoba beads and molded it. I did sprinkle the top with jojoba beads and a little bit of glitter.

I would guess the soap was around 170. I so pretty hot but I had to wait till it was cool enough to add the fragrance and after the fragrance was stirred in I added the jojoba beads

It's HP and I added the jojoba beads right before I put it in the mold. I did not use any other additives or swirl it at all I just stirred in the jojoba beads and molded it. I did sprinkle the top with jojoba beads and a little bit of glitter.

I would guess the soap was around 170. I so pretty hot but I had to wait till it was cool enough to add the fragrance and after the fragrance was stirred in I added the jojoba beads
Usually after the cook, I add my extra super fat along with some yogurt or milk, sugar syrup, apple cider vinegar and the fragrance. Don't you add any extra super fat?

Usually after the cook, I add my extra super fat along with some yogurt or milk, sugar syrup, apple cider vinegar and the fragrance. Don't you add any extra super fat?

I figure in the superfat at the beginning. I usually use simple syrup with my colorants and sometimes coconut milk or yogurt but this time I was specifically testing the jojoba beads so I didnt want anything else added besides fragrance. I used Blue Volcano for the FO and it is soooo my new favorite. Just ordered a bigger bottle.

Back