What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I offered one butcher a trade and he trimmed up the sebo (the fat around the kidneys, white, dry and crumbly) for me and gave me a ton in exchange for only one bar of pachouly soap. If I were you, I would try for something like that. My second butcher didn’t trim it up, dumped some bones on me and I cut my finger trying to separate out the good fat from membranes and embedded glands before rendering. I am going to try to talk to him about trimming t for me and offer him a few pesos for his trouble. Sometimes free is not worth it to me. They put this fat in the trash, you are helping them in a way because they must pay for disposal, so don’t feel bad about it.
You cannot even buy it here, it goes out to rendering plants, and the stores are paid for the trimmings.

I'm almost out of shampoo so I'll be making my VEGAN BABY MILD LIQUID BASTILE SOAP (Dr. Bronner's Dupe) Today. I've been having a problem with my KOH. I'm guessing it's old -- lacks oomph. So I shall up the amount X 10% to see if that helps. I'll be using Carrie Petersen's Glycerin LS Method with 2 parts glycerin and 1 part water to make the lye solution. It's been a while --
How are you able to tell that it lacks oomph? By looking? and how old is it? Mine has been on the shelf for quite a long time, at least a couple of years and since I have never used it, I couldn't compare one performance to another. But I am just about ready to try a liquid soap with no chemicals or syndet. If I end up with a failed first attempt I will blame it on the KOH! Thanks for the link you posted, I will read up before I try it.

Cut my ocean soap, not awful, not great. I do love the colors. Will definitely play more with them.

Attachments

• 20200430_143235-1.jpg
    20200430_143235-1.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 30
How are you able to tell that it lacks oomph? By looking? and how old is it?
Purchased in August 2017. Fresh KOH is quite noisy when added to water. Mine is silent as a lamb. Also, KOH gets quite hot immediately after adding it to water... 180°F / 82°C or higher. Mine registers 140°F / 60°C.

I am just about ready to try a liquid soap with no chemicals or syndet. If I end up with a failed first attempt I will blame it on the KOH! Thanks for the link you posted, I will read up before I try it.
:nonono: Oops... that's an advanced method for experienced LS-ers. Not recommended for beginners due to the high heat of the KOH solution and possible exposure to toxic fumes. :shakinghead:

You might like the Soaping 101 Liquid Soapmaking Video better. Read the latest posting starting at post #830. Irish Lass's excellent instructions are easy to follow. :thumbs:

This is a link to good general info on making LS plus recipes.
BASIC BEGINNER LIQUID SOAP & TUTORIALS

Last edited:
Just be glad you don't also have a boozer for hubby! That would really take the cake! I hope things improve for you soon. 💜💜💜
Thank everyone's gods and goddesses for that lol. Oh. No wait. I thank myself for that nyahaha.

A soapy thing!!! I organized my supplies.... Gearing towards actually making soap soon.

I'm thinking i might call it 'Blizzard'?
Actually I like that! I was trying to think of something it reminded me of and I thought of a quartz countertop and was trying to think of something that sounded nice with “quartz “. Definitely like Blizzard though! Heres a pic I found that reminded me of the quartz.

Attachments

• 884283DB-0F8D-4B7E-A5A9-A62F0E474EFB.jpeg
    884283DB-0F8D-4B7E-A5A9-A62F0E474EFB.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 20
I think I’ll call this ‘dirty snow’. A bit annoyed that one of the FOs seems to have yellowed the batch - it was supposed to be white!
What's the scent? I have two (from different companies but they smell identical) that are quite yellow a week or so into the cure, but straightens out to white by the time cure is done. Suggestion for name.... Tuxedo Party in a Blender. (I suck at naming soaps for a reason...)

Back