What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plan B to the rescue after my batter started to get thick for no known reason.

22D53C2E-7F19-4271-ABD6-7E8CC86AA69E.jpeg

oh @KiwiMoose, apparently I was destined to make you a birthday soap today ^^^ :happybirthday:

I tried HP again today using some tips from @linne1gi (thank you). I used yogurt after the cook and it was more fluid for a lot longer. I even tried two colors and spoon swirled them (tried to anyway). It's cooling down now. I'm trying to use up some of my essential oils and they just don't survive very well when I CP so that was what got me to try HP. I do like that the scent is more true - I hope it sticks around. If it does, I can see myself using this process every once in a while for EO scented soaps.

Happy Birthday :happybirthday:🍨🎂
Sent you some cake, it's only small, so you won't put on any weight 🌺.

I rang a lady who's birthday yesterday the 19th, she was 79.
Not to make you jealous, but look what hubby made me:
8977FF34-70A8-4D5D-A84E-7180BDF18BB3.jpeg
and here’s a picture of some soap so I don’t break the rules and have @Relle chasing after me. Oh wait....
F73C3C70-3D81-4536-854B-3AFDADA4ED21.jpeg

I attempted a rainbow layer soap today. I TOTALLY messed up the second layer because I didn't wait long enough for the first layer to set....what a bummer. It's basically going to be a giant layer of purple/blue.

But, once I got the timing down the rest of the layers seemed to work out well. Since I was out of FO and wanted to try the technique I used a different sampler size f/o for each layer.

Fingers crossed it turned out okay! It's sitting on a heating pad and under a couple of electric blankets.

Experiment #12
I am still messing around with oat milk and am changing the percentage of tallow, this one is 30%. And since I am switching over in dyeing fabrics from using procion dyes to only natural dyes, like pomegranate skins, it is having a ripple effect on my soaping. This is colored with Camden Grey's European green clay (before, I have gotten "French" green clay, don't know if there is a difference) and also White clay and a bit of titanium dioxide. It will be a long time until I am using these soaps, fully cured and will know which formula I like better. Aesthetics need a little work, I think.
This one is equal arts of Bergamot and Spearmint. I hope the smell does not fade too much, it is lovely and I used the fragrance calculator med "medium" scent.
IMG_0026.jpg

Last edited:
I was just going to make two single oils soap tests but my daughter called and wanted a pumice kitchen soap with BRV. So I made her a small 2 lb batch with Orange EO and BRV with Pumice. Orange cuts oil nicely and that is what she wanted. I also upped the CO to 20% since this is just a hand soap to clean greasy hands. It is happily gelling along with the Almond Oil Soap and the RBO Soap. Just made little batches today.
20200420_162633[1].jpg

I was just going to make two single oils soap tests but my daughter called and wanted a pumice kitchen soap with BRV. So I made her a small 2 lb batch with Orange EO and BRV with Pumice. Orange cuts oil nicely and that is what she wanted. I also upped the CO to 20% since this is just a hand soap to clean greasy hands. It is happily gelling along with the Almond Oil Soap and the RBO Soap. Just made little batches today.
View attachment 45283
Cmzaha, those are beautiful! What type of molds are you using? Do they come apart easily to take the soap out? Just curious...I am using "found" objects for molds still!

Bari

Not to make you jealous, but look what hubby made me:
View attachment 45234
and here’s a picture of some soap so I don’t break the rules and have @Relle chasing after me. Oh wait....
View attachment 45235
Holy cow! I want the recipe for the cake! That looks delicious! Your hubby is a keeper! And the soap is beautiful too!

I researched micas and actually placed an order from both Mad Micas and Nurture Soaps! Thanks, Jersey Girl, shunt2011, Noreen Moore, and dibbles for advice and resources!

Can't wait until they get here...already plotting what I am going to do with them!
Bari

Cmzaha, those are beautiful! What type of molds are you using? Do they come apart easily to take the soap out? Just curious...I am using "found" objects for molds still!

Bari
They are hdpe molds that most do not like because they need to be lined. I do not mind lining my molds and all I use are hdpe. These are my small test molds. They are deceptively called No Line Molds but they need to be lined. Vaseline will work as a release but it is messy. I do sell so I want all soaps uniform sizes, so even when I do test batches in these small molds I can cut my soaps the same size. I for one have just never been fond of silicone molds, but that is just me. These are easy to take apart, wash and sanitize. The soap cutter is not worth the money in my opinion or purchasing with the molds. It is simply useless.
Soap mold two 2 to 3 Lb No Liner Soap Molds Wooden Lids & Cutters Avail. E

Latest posts

Back