What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another batch of beer soap, this time with enough batter to actually make a tall skinny bar. Also ordered a BudCutter and it came today! Hoping to make my soaps look a little better.

I got a Bud Cutter about a month ago. Game changer...I LOVE it! My husband pushed me to get it and now we fight about who’s going to cut the soap.:p

0416200857_HDR.jpg

I don't qualify for the challenge (this us my first post) but I wanted to try the pull through technique. I used a sink strainer and it didn't turn out exactly as I imagined. For some reason, the blue did not thicken as quickly as the other colors so it got a little muddy.

View attachment 45143
I don't qualify for the challenge (this us my first post) but I wanted to try the pull through technique. I used a sink strainer and it didn't turn out exactly as I imagined. For some reason, the blue did not thicken as quickly as the other colors so it got a little muddy.
Even though you don't qualify for the challenge, you can still share on the SIGNUP thread. We like to see all attempts! And it will help you get the post count up when you've been a member long enough to join the next challenge - by answering questions about how your technique went, etc. While we don't support fluffy posts to meet the post requirements, we do encourage posts in the spirit of learning and growing as a soapmaker.

Edited to clarify reason to post.

Even though you don't qualify for the challenge, you can still share on the SIGNUP thread. We like to see all attempts! And it will help you get the post count up when you've been a member long enough to join the next challenge - by answering questions about how your technique went, etc. While we don't support fluffy posts to meet the post requirements, we do encourage posts in the spirit of learning and growing as a soapmaker.

Edited to clarify reason to post.
Will do, thanks!

Not sure what your exchange rate is in NZ, Kiwi, but just did a calculation and it's $541 AUD for the $209US one. It's $136 US postage to Oz :eek: 🦘 While they might be good, those prices are expensive for us.

Etsy! Bud Heffner - GREAT cutters.
I used it for the first time and it is AWESOME! Worth every penny! Does this make me a “real” soaper?🤔

Not sure what your exchange rate is in NZ, Kiwi, but just did a calculation and it's $541 AUD for the $209US one. It's $136 US postage to Oz :eek: 🦘 While they might be good, those prices are expensive for us.
OMG...mine was not nearly that$$$....just a single bar cutter.

Having a hard time finding the post button. Still haven’t found. Making pine tar soap plus aloe based cp soaps today.
same here

Cut my 'seascape' soap just now. @penelopejane is gonna love those stearic spots (not)! Luckily I kinda get away with it in this type of soap, with al the white in it anyway. I used ground orange peel in the 'sand'.
View attachment 44963 View attachment 44964
I think it is beautiful

I received half of a 75 lb batch of beef fat and have been chopping it up all day. I'm in full blown whining mode because my shoulder now hurts lol. However the gin and tonic is helping. It would be better if I had a claw foot tub to sink up to my chin in though. My goodness I am going to have so much tallow! I have never made an all tallow bar but the lady down at the computer store wants a dozen bars to cut in half lengthwise so she can sell them as tackle box soap

same here
I just found it at the very bottom of the thread I hope this helps

Hi,
My husband and I are pretty new to soap making and are having the best time! I would like to make a FO combo using Leather FO, Patchouli FO and Lavender EO in a CP soap batch today. We will be making 32oz of batter.

I am aware that none of the three fragrance play nice in CP soap but since Terry and I work in tandem, we are able to work very quickly so have had no issue with using the oils on their own. Back to my question...I am thinking about using .5oz of Leather, .5oz of Patchouli and .25oz of Lavender in the 32oz. Since I do not understand Top Notes, etc., I am not sure if this sounds like a nice combination based on the ratios. Any experience using this scent combination, pros, cons, etc?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Lark Fitzgerald
Larksdesignhouse.com

Sorry for the late reply - wasn't on the forum much for the past month.

Have you tried EOCalc.com? It's a wonderful free site that helps you blend EOs in skin-safe percentages. You can select which EOs you want to use, and it will suggest blends, or help you create your own.

At work now (I work 7pm to 7:30am) but plan on making an new batch of charcoal soap when I get home with a "Tonka and Oud" FO from candlescience. This FO has high vanilla content and the charcoal is dark anyways so decided to form that pair!

Experiment #11
Well, I heard someone mention oat milk, so I had to make some and it was pretty good in my coffee. Then I pulled out my smallest mold to try some in a soap recipe. The big success about this recipe was for the first time, I was able to follow the instructions (ancient post here by Soap Maker Man) and calculate how many ounces of oil would fill the mold. I'm not saying I'm dumb but have never done this before. It was easy. The oat milk seems to have gotten a bit lumpy and the finshed soap has a bumpley surface. This is tallow, olive, coconut and 15% shea butter plus a couple of other things. And the pink color faded out. But it smells good.
IMG_0016.JPG

Have you tried EOCalc.com? It's a wonderful free site that helps you blend EOs in skin-safe percentages. You can select which EOs you want to use, and it will suggest blends, or help you create your own.
Well this is good for hours of killing time, lol! Thanks for this link.

Well this is good for hours of killing time, lol! Thanks for this link.
thank you for this tip

Experiment #11
Well, I heard someone mention oat milk, so I had to make some and it was pretty good in my coffee. Then I pulled out my smallest mold to try some in a soap recipe. The big success about this recipe was for the first time, I was able to follow the instructions (ancient post here by Soap Maker Man) and calculate how many ounces of oil would fill the mold. I'm not saying I'm dumb but have never done this before. It was easy. The oat milk seems to have gotten a bit lumpy and the finshed soap has a bumpley surface. This is tallow, olive, coconut and 15% shea butter plus a couple of other things. And the pink color faded out. But it smells good.View attachment 45166
**** that's good! I actually made some porridge out of the soaked and ground oat remains - and that was good too! Tasted like baby porridge. Yes - the oat milk always goes lumpy but it seems to 'come out in the wash' so to speak.
ETA: there's a naughty word up there that's changed to **** when I posted. I would like to reassure you that it's not a bad swear word - it was just one starting with D and ending with N. In New Zealand it's just considered a usual everyday word, but maybe in the US it's a real bad one?

Yesterday I made some soap! Woot! It was a type of Ione swirl. I've had a discolouring FO sitting in my cupboard for a long time - Alyssum from Nature's Garden. Apparently it goes dark brown, so I've never used it, even though it smells divine. I had an epiphany after watching one of Ione's videos' and decided to use it in the bottom of this soap that I coloured with activated charcoal. For the rest of the soap I used Palmarosa, Sweet Orange and a touch of Patchouli EOs.
IMG_2087.jpegIMG_2091.jpeg

Latest posts

Back