What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! I love the shades of blue you got. Mica?

So, the only soapy thing I did today was read some threads and catch up here. I was pretty far behind. I’m super impressed by all the beautiful soap everyone is making.

Thank you! I used Aphrodite mica and ultramarine blue pigment from MM as well as a little TD for the white. I’m soaping like crazy to help keep my mind off of the Coronavirus mess. Also cooking up a storm. :)

This one really rings my bell as far as looks go...... now I want to go watch hanger swirl videos, whatever that may be. I am so frustrated waiting for delivery of two new molds and a new cutter. Old dog going to try new tricks if they ever arrive. I have to pay freight forwarding and wait an extra two weeks, but right now it iseems like an extra month to reach my location. Kudos, Jersey girl. You inspire me!

Wow! I’m really touched by your kind words. I was inspired by this Soapqueen tutorial.
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/alpine-frost-cold-process-soap/
I did not use her recipe but I tried to follow the technique of layering the colors. The swirling motion I used I got from watching gazillion of other videos. I was so thrilled and surprised when I cut it. Who knows if I can come close to reproducing it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a hanger swirl soap last night. It's still in the oven. I'm dying to open the door and peek, but I'll wait the full amount of time. I received my multi-soap cutter yesterday, so it gets christened today.
Time's up. I cut the Hanger Swirl Soap. While the colors are not what I expected, they are gorgeous.

. HANGER SWIRL_4.jpg

Oh lordie, me too! I even thought about starting a thread on it. Plastic is just EVIL. No way can I leave the stuff out to dry overnight though. And not wanting our septic system to resemble the sewers of London (now that's a video worth watching -- enormous fat-bergs floating lazily along), I wipe them out as best I can with paper towels, then hand wash, then give up and put them in the dishwasher where they may sit for another day or two before I run it. And they sometimes still come out with an oily residue! Evil. Evil, I say!

I am going to put more glass containers to work on the next batch. If they work as well as I anticipate, I'll get even more. I wonder if they make little stainless containers....
You know, investing in a few stainless steel items or a slow cooker would be way more beneficial than using glass. For starters, you can use heat with them and once you are done with the soap batter, you can use heat to saponify the dregs, maybe scrape some of it, and clean the item more easily.

It looks great! Love the color combo too!
I like it. Thank you.

You know, investing in a few stainless steel items or a slow cooker would be way more beneficial than using glass. For starters, you can use heat with them and once you are done with the soap batter, you can use heat to saponify the dregs, maybe scrape some of it, and clean the item more easily.
Wonderful idea. For heating and melting the oils in microwave (I do CP), I like something I can see through. But I can work with stainless steel and have fewer items of plastic to clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful idea. For heating and melting the oils in microwave (I do CP), I like something I can see through. But I can work with stainless steel and have fewer items of plastic to clean.
I ultimately went back to a crock pot. I still have the stainless steel pitcher and use that too. I just don't feel like hunting for pot holders sometimes.

Great googly moogly today was a mess. I thought I would try a clamshell pour but I wanted to make 2 different batches so one I thought would just be an in the pot swirl with juniper berry. That one went ok, but when I started the lavender mixing and pouring I wanted to do a purple and black and a white and black clamshell. Well it was a disaster before I even started pouring because when I was mixing my black my hand slipped on the mixed up oils and charcoal and black oils hit the counter and exploded everywhere. I couldn't stop to clean it up because of course I need to move quickly. I don't know what was happening but it was insane. Everything started speeding up and the batter was thickened like pudding for the white but the black was still loose and the purple was thicker than the white but not as fluid as the black so all I could do was just try and get it all in the mold and then did a hangar swirl that I hope actually did something inside and then I couldn't find my pipette or my chopstick which was previously RIGHT THERE! so I ended up finger painting the top and hoping it looks ok and sprinkled it with glitter. My kitchen is such a disaster right now I don't even want to look at it let alone clean it.

Great googly moogly today was a mess. I thought I would try a clamshell pour but I wanted to make 2 different batches so one I thought would just be an in the pot swirl with juniper berry. That one went ok, but when I started the lavender mixing and pouring I wanted to do a purple and black and a white and black clamshell. Well it was a disaster before I even started pouring because when I was mixing my black my hand slipped on the mixed up oils and charcoal and black oils hit the counter and exploded everywhere. I couldn't stop to clean it up because of course I need to move quickly. I don't know what was happening but it was insane. Everything started speeding up and the batter was thickened like pudding for the white but the black was still loose and the purple was thicker than the white but not as fluid as the black so all I could do was just try and get it all in the mold and then did a hangar swirl that I hope actually did something inside and then I couldn't find my pipette or my chopstick which was previously RIGHT THERE! so I ended up finger painting the top and hoping it looks ok and sprinkled it with glitter. My kitchen is such a disaster right now I don't even want to look at it let alone clean it.

You will look back on this one some day and laugh. :)

This is my pet peeve. I asked on another forum how mechanics clean their hands, hoping to get something that would take the grease away. I've tried four products and the EVIL grease is still there. I think I'll do more glass too. The lye-water will remain in plastic, but the oily stuff has pushed me away from using plastic containers.

I mean to use glass to melt the oils. Then I'll pour them all in a plastic container and add the lye-water. This way, I only end up with one plastic container to clean. I haven't done too much with colors, but I can put those in disposable cups and throw them out.

I made a hanger swirl soap last night. It's still in the oven. I'm dying to open the door and peek, but I'll wait the full amount of time. I received my multi-soap cutter yesterday, so it gets christened today.
I found something that worked for cleaning the plastic. I bought a degreaser in the automotive section of Walmart. It's called ZEP and comes in a spray bottle. I sprayed it on everything and left it overnight. (I was too tired to clean up after soaping.) The next day, I washed with DAWN Ultra and everything came away grease free. Glad I found this because I'd added some stainless steel measuring cups to my shopping cart. Now I don't need that expense.

I attempted the clam shell technique 3 times. The first time my batter was too thick, the second time my batter was too thin, the third time (yesterday), I don't know exactly what the problem was, not too thick or too thin but still didn't work. Anyway I give up - I've been soaping for over 7 years and the clam shell technique broke me!

I found something that worked for cleaning the plastic. I bought a degreaser in the automotive section of Walmart. It's called ZEP and comes in a spray bottle. I sprayed it on everything and left it overnight. (I was too tired to clean up after soaping.) The next day, I washed with DAWN Ultra and everything came away grease free. Glad I found this because I'd added some stainless steel measuring cups to my shopping cart. Now I don't need that expense.
Walmart is my bane but that's because I'd have to get a ride to Long Island or NJ to go to one. I'm not in the best condition to drive with my headaches.

Today I just cut some soap. Since we are on lockdown and I've been working from home, on my lunches and breaks I go down to the lab and make soap and candles. So far this week, I've made 7 batches of soap and a case of candles.

I have a ton of sample FOs that I am consolidating, and mixing to make unique scents. so far they all smell fantastic (to my nose anyway!)

Later today though, I'll be masterbatching more oils and more lye solution. I"m out of masterbatched oils and only have a tiny splash of lye solution left, so I'll do that today to have more for my next week of working from home. :)

Back