What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inventoried my lotion bar supplies. I manage a food pantry that supports low-income folks and we're "essential" staff at my org during this COVID-19 mess. My team's hands are raw from handwashing. Plus other department staff have supported us remotely or onsite and I want to give everyone lotion bars in appreciation. I'm anxious to make more soap, too, given the scarcity in our local stores. And the other soapy thing I did today was to finally log in here after many days. Missed you all!

To all those who have posted about donating soap and soap scraps to shelters and food pantries, BLESS YOU! It's always needed but especially now. Stay safe and healthy and sane everyone.

I bought my wood at Lowe's but they no longer cut the wood for you, unfortunately. They only do large jobs now.
My plan is to add hinges on the end pieces also along with a locking brackets soon. My friend's neighbor will be cutting the wood for me and when I have those pieces cut, I'll update new pictures.
Great minds think alike

I was desperate to make some soap and use my newly made mold, so I couldn't wait and improvised
I'm working on adding the end prices soon.
I bought some wood at Home Depot and they cut it to 2 foot lengths for me. They were a little off on the length but I was able to make it work just fine with a little bit of hand sanding. Check them out...they may still do the cuts for you.

A while back I had made a 4-coloured soap, (white, orange, yellow and red) that riced on me when I added the F.O. I had already split the batter and added colours before I added the F.O, so it was too late to just HP the batch as a whole or it would have come out spam coloured. I just poured the muck anyway, but now I'm stuck ten bars of this spiteful soap that I need to recycle. The soap is nice and creamy and is perfectly usable, it just looks horrible to me with all those little pale dots in it. Ugh! A non-soaper probably wouldn't know there was anything wrong with the soap, but I know! So, I've spent the last two or three days shredding, chopping, dicing and slicing this soap from hell and then trying to come up with a host of different embed designs and do-overs I can make to get the soap used up, without getting too many soaps that look similar. Man oh man, how can ten bars leave one with so many shreds and chips?!? I swear these soap shreds can replicate themselves... like bacteria. There always seems to be more of them every time I look! I am still angry and offended by the nerve of this soap to screw itself up like it did and just looking at it makes me want to throw it all out the window, but I am too much of a cheapskate to do that. I have to get this soap out of the way and get something done with it, because somehow it seems to be demanding my attention and won't let me forget about it and it's keeping me from making the soaps I really want to make and all the while my to-do list is growing at breakneck speed!

The soap is cursed! I'll betcha it won't let me re-do it without causing me grief. *Sigh* I hate this soap with a passion and... I just want my life back. :(

View attachment 5941
Here is the bright side of all your soap problems. I am sort of new to soap making, only a couple months now. If this hadn't happened to you, I wouldn't know about ricing or do-overs. I thought when a batch went bad you just had to live with it or toss it out. But you have informed me that I now how options, which I had no idea about, here-to-fore. You have also be a good teacher and you report of you problem is well written and holds the readers attention, showing you also possess writing skills. Your report of your experience actually reminds me of how I think Mark Twain would have written it. Thanks for the light-hearted but informative report.

Last edited by a moderator:
After a loooong hiatus from anything soap related, i'm finally back in the soap room and have made 4 batches the last few days. I hadn't made soap or done anything soap related since the fall, after all the craziness with the holiday craft shows. I became burned out and took a much needed break. Now that i've jumped back in i'm remembering why I love this hobby so much. Hopefully, i'll be better prepared for the fall season this time and won't feel so overwhelmed. I only sell to raise money for a local dog rescue, so weeks of working full time and weekend shows plus evenings packaging and labelling was just too much. I need to better prepare and package and label throughout the year instead. Lesson learned!

I inventoried my lotion bar supplies. I manage a food pantry that supports low-income folks and we're "essential" staff at my org during this COVID-19 mess. My team's hands are raw from handwashing. Plus other department staff have supported us remotely or onsite and I want to give everyone lotion bars in appreciation. I'm anxious to make more soap, too, given the scarcity in our local stores. And the other soapy thing I did today was to finally log in here after many days. Missed you all!

To all those who have posted about donating soap and soap scraps to shelters and food pantries, BLESS YOU! It's always needed but especially now. Stay safe and healthy and sane everyone.
I sent you a pm

Made this yesterday and cut it this am. I used eucalyptus and peppermint and it smells sooooo nice. Reminds me of spring and Easter colors.
3EAE3694-C251-4619-89B5-C67E890B420D.jpeg

I pulled out one of the experiment bars subbing tallow for palm (20% of formula) and using indigo powder for color. It has only been about 4 weeks, but I wanted to try it. Wow, the lather starts out big bubbles and quickly turns to creamy smooth and long lasting. After rinsing and pat dry, the backs of my hands do not feel tight or dry. That is the test for me. If my hands don't feel dry, the rest of me won't either. And I could smell the EO blend, but softly. I think I have a winner here, no worries about swapping out the palm. Now I just have to wait for the butcher shop to open again to get more cebo and make a bigger batch or three.

Made this yesterday and cut it this am. I used eucalyptus and peppermint and it smells sooooo nice. Reminds me of spring and Easter colors. View attachment 44669
incredibly pretty. you get a gold star!

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 31
I made my last batch of soap until I make it to the store! I thought I had plenty of oils on hand but realized yesterday that one of my orders is still in transit. So in order to soap I had to tweak the recipe to match the grams of oils I had. What a strange recipe! It was the first time I used sodium citrate (was using citric acid). When cleaning up (I do HP) I couldn't believe the difference in the soapy water...absolutely no scummy skiff of anything but suds on the top. It was so sudsy and nice I even used the soap to clean a greasy frying pan that was sitting on the stove since breakfast. I did use the high end of the scale for sodium citrate, but thought I was using the high end of citric acid too. Now it's gonna be a long 2-3 months to see what this soap is like after the cure.

I discovered why there are many spots. I put salt in the lye water but it didn't disolve and as I remember when I poured my lye solution the undislved salt just poured into my oils. So I rebatched it with some distilled water. And the result was goodthank you everyone for your help

Latest posts

Back