What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved lots of soap from what was my soap storage area to a different room. My daughter is graduating college in May, and will need that room. I really want to make soap, but I have 4 huge fruit flats full that need to go to a new home first. Even with tossing some that got DOS (bad OO, I think) didn't get me down to a reasonable level where I have any rational excuse to make more soap.

Told my neighbor about my hobby, and now she wants me to make a special soap for her. I've been thinking about easing into some casual selling, so I ordered the ingredients, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'm building an MS Access database to keep up with things like costs, inventory, and sales. I know I'm a long way from really needing anything like that, but I'm having fun with it on an otherwise boring and rainy day. I decided to include a recipe builder. It'll be convenient to choose ingredients and let the database calculate the lye and water for me, as well as having a place to keep organized notes from each batch. I can always take out the bookkeeping stuff if I don't need it. It'll still be handy for hobby use.

Told my neighbor about my hobby, and now she wants me to make a special soap for her. I've been thinking about easing into some casual selling, so I ordered the ingredients, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'm building an MS Access database to keep up with things like costs, inventory, and sales. I know I'm a long way from really needing anything like that, but I'm having fun with it on an otherwise boring and rainy day. I decided to include a recipe builder. It'll be convenient to choose ingredients and let the database calculate the lye and water for me, as well as having a place to keep organized notes from each batch. I can always take out the bookkeeping stuff if I don't need it. It'll still be handy for hobby use.
You can use SoapmakingFriend.com for free to create and save recipes, track inventory, etc. :)

1st batch of Castile soap on a rope bars. Add oatmeal.

Attachments

• AE54F87F-801D-48E4-85FC-A4B7AEAA9AAB.jpeg
    AE54F87F-801D-48E4-85FC-A4B7AEAA9AAB.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 36
  • F1292353-1CB2-4942-B828-BF17460C4FF8.jpeg
    F1292353-1CB2-4942-B828-BF17460C4FF8.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 33
FAEF6104-62C1-47C2-97C6-FCB9F60E56F5.jpeg
Being so new to soap making, it doesn’t take much success to push me into giddy happiness! I made a soap like this a few weeks ago. It was the best out of my 12 batches and I have given all but 2 bars away. Decided to try to duplicate it. Not at all sure if I could do it. I changed the recipe a bit to try and get it to move slower and it worked! Still too soft to cut anything but the ends, but I think it’s going to be good!

View attachment 44534 Being so new to soap making, it doesn’t take much success to push me into giddy happiness! I made a soap like this a few weeks ago. It was the best out of my 12 batches and I have given all but 2 bars away. Decided to try to duplicate it. Not at all sure if I could do it. I changed the recipe a bit to try and get it to move slower and it worked! Still too soft to cut anything but the ends, but I think it’s going to be good!

Pretty! My favorite colors.

I've been soaping for about 25 years. I used to sell but now only make it for myself, family, gifts, etc..... I kept records of everything-- recipes, how they turned out with each batch and what each batch cost-- vendors I used and their prices, etc.
It was sort of fun and now I can go back and say, "oh yeah, this is what I used back in 1999 in this EO blend, this is what it cost back then, etc."

Last edited by a moderator:
I made two small batches of soap yesterday, and cut them just a little bit ago. Both are a slight tweak on my favorite soap recipe. I'm really into making my experiments side-by-side so I can compare them in real time. I used a new acrylic mold and it was pretty cool to be able to see the whole soap. Did I need a new mold? - nope. But when it comes to my hobby I rarely utilize that kind of logic.

Yesterday I attacked my block of cocoa butter. I found these nifty ice cube trays at BBB. They have silicone in the bottom so you can just pop out the cube. I melted some of the cocoa butter over a double boiler put it in a funnel pitcher and poured it into the trays. Worked like a charm. Today I made a divider for one of my molds out of corrugated plastic. It fits nice and tight so I think I won’t have any problems with it floating around.
F30B9D8E-00C1-4D01-9F3C-D12EFFDFBDC3.jpeg
8F1782FC-9AD0-4EB5-B23C-D61E4F91861E.jpeg
34612DD3-B1C5-480F-A737-07F857340789.jpeg
AACC4C3A-C102-4CCE-9A1F-115B80BD77F3.jpeg

I made my first melt and pour .. keeping with my boating hobby. It took 6 hours total with making all the embeds... figured I would play around with it since I’m on vacation and have the time. My family is impressed. Like I told them..” I go big or don’t do it”.

Attachments

• 57C2EC1C-058B-4F81-9729-D1B54575F99F.jpeg
    57C2EC1C-058B-4F81-9729-D1B54575F99F.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 39
  • A697A3E8-8609-4AFC-95D4-3CC61D12A5C0.jpeg
    A697A3E8-8609-4AFC-95D4-3CC61D12A5C0.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 36
View attachment 44549 I cut my floral hanger swirl batch. It did gel and with the glycerin rivers has a watercolor look to it! But I am going to need a wire soap cutter. The second hand box/ blade I have is not so good.
Those are so pretty...love the colors...and...I'm a glycerin river lover!

Yesterday I attacked my block of cocoa butter. I found these nifty ice cube trays at BBB. They have silicone in the bottom so you can just pop out the cube. I melted some of the cocoa butter over a double boiler put it in a funnel pitcher and poured it into the trays. Worked like a charm. Today I made a divider for one of my molds out of corrugated plastic. It fits nice and tight so I think I won’t have any problems with it floating around. View attachment 44550View attachment 44551View attachment 44552View attachment 44553
Did you tape or glue it all together? I'm needing to make some dividers as well..just wondering.

I made my first melt and pour .. keeping with my boating hobby. It took 6 hours total with making all the embeds... figured I would play around with it since I’m on vacation and have the time. My family is impressed. Like I told them..” I go big or don’t do it”.
Very nice! Love that blue!

So cute! Great job!

Thank you :)

I think I’m going to test it out today so I’ll lyk how it performs!

Back