What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I entered the month challenge. Whoo boy, have you seen the competition?! Best challenge ever tho'.

So to truly appreciate this, you'd have to know my son and his unique sense of humor. In recent days I've been getting several texts from unknown numbers from faraway states I've never been to or know anyone from and the messages are like "need some soap" "where's the soap" "blacksoap son won't you come, wash away the rain" etc. At first I was a little freaked because I guard my phone number and this forum is my only online presence. Then I realized my college boy is punking me -- he's probably just grabbing his friends' phones and texting me. Some people's kids.... I've replied that my son is grounded and full of BS and study break is over. The texts continue....

I get those calls. They are spam. On the phone display, it says the city and state where I know no one. Or they come up with a business name, like I'm getting Apple, Inc. calls now. I don't answer. However, if you are in business for your soap, you might have to check it out.

View attachment 44169 View attachment 44170 After the first Tallow experiment at white, CP, 100%, I did a second experiment at 50% Tallow, 25% Olive, 25% Coconut. I added a pinch of indigo powder which I buy from a well known weaver in Teotitlan del Valle south of here. It is pure quality. I added it to the lye water and used a fine strainer to pour the lye water into the oils. I still got speckles, brown ones, which I happen to like. I like speckles! But they weren't intentional. There is no odor from the Tallow. This mixture did not accelerate like the first batch did. It was a little softer coming out of the mold than I am used to.
Laurel
I love the color of your soap. I’ve had better luck getting light blue with natural indigo powder than I have with light blue mica!

My first attempt at using colors.
Did a drop pour and followed with a hanger swirl.

Hard to see, but is some green in there, and a small bit of uncolored soap base at the bottom.
Scented with crafters choice pamalmous rose.

Everything felt right, so crossing my fingers it's not a smeared mess when I cut it!

Attachments

• 20200229_110713.jpg
    20200229_110713.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 29
Got everything out to make some soap today and got a call from my daughter crying hysterically. Had to put everything away and go to her apartment and spend the day with her because she was having a major anxiety attack.

View attachment 44157 Pipe divider pink’ and orange with swirls...was sooo happy. Got a little thick but still managed to get it done. Then i saw my fragrance bottle still full...*sigh*

I put my cup of measured EO inside my empty mold. Didn't invent that trick but it works like a charm for me.

I’ve had better luck getting light blue with natural indigo powder than I have with light blue mica
This is so encouraging. You certainly do know some beautiful blues, judging from your picture. On the 3rd experiment I infused the indigo in the OO for a couple of days instead of putting it into the lye water. I believe it was bluer, less blue-grey. I am going to up the quantity and try it again. if I post photos of the 3rd exp. they will look amazingly the same as #2, so I pass.
Laurel

This is so encouraging. You certainly do know some beautiful blues, judging from your picture. On the 3rd experiment I infused the indigo in the OO for a couple of days instead of putting it into the lye water. I believe it was bluer, less blue-grey. I am going to up the quantity and try it again. if I post photos of the 3rd exp. they will look amazingly the same as #2, so I pass.
Laurel
I've done a bit of experimenting with indigo plant powder and usually get bluer blues when the powder is dispersed in oil and allowed to steep for a bit before I use it. I use oil dispersed plant powder to make my Stormy Seas soap, which is the one pictured in my current avatar. Some of my trials are described in this thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-indigo-and-jagua-blues.75531/

Got everything out to make some soap today and got a call from my daughter crying hysterically. Had to put everything away and go to her apartment and spend the day with her because she was having a major anxiety attack.
Hope your daughter is back on track. Mine used to have panic attacks, not so much now that she knows what to avoid. It is such a helpless feeling to not be able to "fix" it for them.

Celebrating my second soaping anniversary. Roughly speaking anyway. I started soaping with M&P, then did a rebatch soap kit from Brambleberry. My first true CP soap attempt was a BrambleBerry recipe (high in CO and way to cleansing for me) - but I cannot find the dated recipe sheet from that batch but I am fairly certain it was in March so I'm just calling it today for simplicity. Anyhoo, I created a new recipe using HO Sunflower instead of olive oil. I use high percentages of olive oil in most of my recipes so I'm very curious how this will turn out with the sunflower oil. I was going to celebrate my soapy anniversary by making a castile soap - but got distracted when I was YouTubing "single oil soaps" and watched Holly- Kapia Mera make both a castile soap and in another video a 100% Shea butter soap. So I made my Bastille recipe with sunflower in place of the OO and added a little shea butter. I only made a 1-lb batch, scented with Lavender Citrus from EOcalc but it sure felt good to make soap again!

I have a soapy closet in my new house and it was so much easier to work with all my ingredients and equipment organized! I'm still tempted to try a Castile soap. Mainly just so I can cross it off my bucket list. Maybe I will - I can put it to bed in the soapy closet and just forget about it for the next 9-12 months. Or maybe I can kill two bucket list birds with one stone and hot process the castile. Hmmmm....back to the Tube:videovisit:

I made soap with my granddaughter (nine years old) yesterday for the first time - coconut, olive, rice bran, castor oils, with coconut milk powder in the batter and she chose coconut and lime fragrance! She chose three colours of mica - two shades of blue and a pink - and pressed dried rose buds on the top. Looking forward to seeing the cut today!

Hope your daughter is back on track. Mine used to have panic attacks, not so much now that she knows what to avoid. It is such a helpless feeling to not be able to "fix" it for them.
She’s doing ok. As you said it’s hard not being able to “fix” things for them. I cleaned Her apartment and took care of her two dogs for the day. I brought The youngest one home with me last night. He’s the size of a small horse and still a puppy. One less responsibility for her to worry about.

Back