What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weeee! Check out the colour of this lye solution. Made with puréed apples as the water. I’m gonna call this soap Golden Apples and Pears. Poached pear and cinnamon FO.
645C2E49-F8CB-488C-BC05-3FB849B1AD1C.jpeg EFE8F3BE-6E55-494D-9F84-6A8AC953CEF4.jpeg

Thanks, I've been practicing with icing and mashed potatoes. I switched to potatoes so I'd stop eating the icing. :)
LOL! Right there with ya girlfriend! The soap looks beautiful BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0459 2.jpg
After the first Tallow experiment at white, CP, 100%, I did a second experiment at 50% Tallow, 25% Olive, 25% Coconut. I added a pinch of indigo powder which I buy from a well known weaver in Teotitlan del Valle south of here. It is pure quality. I added it to the lye water and used a fine strainer to pour the lye water into the oils. I still got speckles, brown ones, which I happen to like. I like speckles! But they weren't intentional. There is no odor from the Tallow. This mixture did not accelerate like the first batch did. It was a little softer coming out of the mold than I am used to.
Laurel

Then i saw my fragrance bottle still full...*sigh*
I have done that, sadly more than once. :eek: I will have carefully measured out my EOs, set it to the side, finish my soap, then see my fragrance pitcher sitting to the side and go, "Oh fiddlesticks, can't believe I did that."
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to be more methodical, but tend to get focused on the trace, color etc. and forget about the fragrance, even though I have it measured out and sitting on the counter with my soaping things.

Well I cut the black raspberry vanilla. I did kind of a drop swirl with a kind of a hangar swirl I guess. I'm confused as to where my mauve went. I could have sworn I poured in more than that. Oh well it still looks nice. Once it gets a bit more firm I will clean up the edges. It's a bit softer than I expected.

View media item 2565

I entered the month challenge. Whoo boy, have you seen the competition?! Best challenge ever tho'.

So to truly appreciate this, you'd have to know my son and his unique sense of humor. In recent days I've been getting several texts from unknown numbers from faraway states I've never been to or know anyone from and the messages are like "need some soap" "where's the soap" "blacksoap son won't you come, wash away the rain" etc. At first I was a little freaked because I guard my phone number and this forum is my only online presence. Then I realized my college boy is punking me -- he's probably just grabbing his friends' phones and texting me. Some people's kids.... I've replied that my son is grounded and full of BS and study break is over. The texts continue....

I made a 85% coconut and 15% shea soap with a 15% SF that didn't turn out very well. I think I soaped too cool. It has a ton of mottling and is crumbly on the edges. So that was a bit dissapointing.

I also made a dual lye castille soap. Both soaps had 50% vinegar and 2% citric acid as I've been playing around with these lately. This one looks beautiful. It was pretty solid after 8 hours but I hope it can stand another 8 as I had to go to work before I could cut.

I made a 85% coconut and 15% shea soap with a 15% SF that didn't turn out very well. I think I soaped too cool. It has a ton of mottling and is crumbly on the edges. So that was a bit dissapointing.

I also made a dual lye castille soap. Both soaps had 50% vinegar and 2% citric acid as I've been playing around with these lately. This one looks beautiful. It was pretty solid after 8 hours but I hope it can stand another 8 as I had to go to work before I could cut.
Hopefully, you will be able to cut it. Vinegar soap can get really hard really fast. But since I do not make Castille soap often I am no help there, and the OO might save you since it sets up slowly.

I have done that, sadly more than once. :eek: I will have carefully measured out my EOs, set it to the side, finish my soap, then see my fragrance pitcher sitting to the side and go, "Oh fiddlesticks, can't believe I did that."
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to be more methodical, but tend to get focused on the trace, color etc. and forget about the fragrance, even though I have it measured out and sitting on the counter with my soaping things.
I, too, have done this more than once. Now I put my recipe in a sheet protector on the counter with my bottles of soap, etc. I pre-measure all my oils, etc prior to starting my soap. I check them off with a white board pen as I get them measured and set aside. Once everything is measures and ready I erase all my checkmarks.

Then as I pour the oils in the pot, I check them off again with the pen. When I'm ready (or think I'm ready to pour in the mold) I check the recipe AGAIN. There is always a glaring hole where the check marks should be. It has saved me more than once by seeing that checkmark missing by the FO/EO. I use a really obnoxious orange pen since none of my tools or bottles have that color in it. Then when I'm done, I'll erase the checkmarks and I can put it in my notebook and reuse the recipe if the soap turns out like I wanted.

I did one recipe without putting the cocoa butter in the pot. Even though it did not zap me I was very hesitant to use the soap and so spent at least an hour trying to re-create what I actually put in the pot rather than what I did put in. Luckily it had a high enough SF to compensate for the missing oil. Doing the double sets of checkmarks now make sure I have not only measured them but have put them in the pot.

I, too, have done this more than once. Now I put my recipe in a sheet protector on the counter with my bottles of soap, etc. I pre-measure all my oils, etc prior to starting my soap. I check them off with a white board pen as I get them measured and set aside. Once everything is measures and ready I erase all my checkmarks.

Then as I pour the oils in the pot, I check them off again with the pen. When I'm ready (or think I'm ready to pour in the mold) I check the recipe AGAIN. There is always a glaring hole where the check marks should be. It has saved me more than once by seeing that checkmark missing by the FO/EO. I use a really obnoxious orange pen since none of my tools or bottles have that color in it. Then when I'm done, I'll erase the checkmarks and I can put it in my notebook and reuse the recipe if the soap turns out.

This is such a good idea! Last week I was trying to make a beeswax and honey recipe and left out the honey. Buying page protectors today, TY!

Hopefully, you will be able to cut it. Vinegar soap can get really hard really fast. But since I do not make Castille soap often I am no help there, and the OO might save you since it sets up slowly.
This is what I was hoping. I could still indent a thumb this morning and that was 8 hours, so another 8 might not be too bad. At least it will be a learning experience whatever happens

Actually, after reading a bunch more today, I'm not worried about it being too hard, but am worried that it will be too soft. Apparently back in December we had some soapers here trying CA with vinegar and it did not go well. I will have a very interesting update in a couple of days if it does harden...because it will point a little bit as to what causes this problem when using both acids.

Last edited:
I entered the month challenge. Whoo boy, have you seen the competition?! Best challenge ever tho'.

So to truly appreciate this, you'd have to know my son and his unique sense of humor. In recent days I've been getting several texts from unknown numbers from faraway states I've never been to or know anyone from and the messages are like "need some soap" "where's the soap" "blacksoap son won't you come, wash away the rain" etc. At first I was a little freaked because I guard my phone number and this forum is my only online presence. Then I realized my college boy is punking me -- he's probably just grabbing his friends' phones and texting me. Some people's kids.... I've replied that my son is grounded and full of BS and study break is over. The texts continue....

your son sounds just like mine!!

Back