What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second attempt at making soap was not a success. The recipe called for oatmeal which settled on the bottom. When I took them out of the mold I was not happy with the look. I melted It down strained the oatmeal and added some color.

tried some colors todayView attachment 44010
Beautiful

I tried a silicone mat technique and I'm an eager beaver who doesn't want to wait two days to see how the design turned out!

But, I kinda like what I did with the extra soap + some purple mica dispersed in oil on the other side!

I'm nervous to see how the other side with the silicone mat turned out. I was fairly confident to the point of.....dare I say....feeling competent.....when I realized I had forgotten to add the fragrance oil and had to try to add it while the soap was in the mold :confused:

View attachment 44085
Love the colors

Attachments

• BCCE57E8-517F-453C-B316-A3EDDD677BFD.jpeg
    BCCE57E8-517F-453C-B316-A3EDDD677BFD.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 8734FB08-1B83-47AB-AC29-1AEA9B50CA79.jpeg
    8734FB08-1B83-47AB-AC29-1AEA9B50CA79.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
My second attempt at making soap was not a success. The recipe called for oatmeal which settled on the bottom. When I took them out of the mold I was not happy with the look. I melted It down strained the oatmeal and added some color.
I’m truly sorry for you. I had one go way out of whack and I was sad, but I tossed it and made another. Best of luck!

@Shereen maybe stearic spots? If you start a new thread we can troubleshoot with you.

@Adobehead that actually looks awesome. I started with milk cartons too until we needed them for coffee takeaways but I like the rounded edges.

@Claudette Carignan was your batter too thin? Could be why the oatmeal was able to settle on the bottom?

As for me.... No soapy thing in a month ugh :(

Can l ask why salt bars should be cured for so long? Thankyou :)
I have been making salt bars for a few years now and yesterday I use one that had been curing 18 months. OMG...the lather was like silky shaving cream! I love it and still have 3 more :) Surprisingly, it still had some scent as well. I had tried one from this particular batch at 12 months and it was nice but nothing like at 18 months. I have played with different recipes and salt percentages as well. I will always have a batch or 2 curing.

Hi
I made a cp soap with 70% olive oil. 25% coconut oil and 5% castor oil.
I left it over night and in the morning I noticed that it hit a partial gel phase so I heated the oven and helped it to reach a full gel phase. When it cooled down white dots appeared on it what do you think is that? And how its solved.
Thanks ⚘
My guess, soda ash. It’s from the unreacted sodium hydroxide reacting with the carbon dioxide in the air. The result is sodium carbonate. Or soda ash.

Received my very 1st order of fragrance oil! This will be my first time soaping and after watching so many YouTube videos and reading a bunch of blogs, I ended up ordering from Natures Garden! I am nervous but excited to learn more from everyone and begin my 1st attempt soon!

Received my very 1st order of fragrance oil! This will be my first time soaping and after watching so many YouTube videos and reading a bunch of blogs, I ended up ordering from Natures Garden! I am nervous but excited to learn more from everyone and begin my 1st attempt soon!
Lot’s of fun ahead! I am new, too, just 10 batches made, so far. I am trying a lard soap recipe today.

I started CP soaping a little over a year ago. One of my goals this year is to clean up and organize my soaping area; and take care of a few loose ends, so to speak. Today, I finished going through my cured soaps and created 3 piles - give to friends, re-batch, and use for laundry soap. Yeah! Can ✔ that off the list!
Still have other loose ends to take care of, but it feels good to get this far.

I started CP soaping a little over a year ago. One of my goals this year is to clean up and organize my soaping area; and take care of a few loose ends, so to speak. Today, I finished going through my cured soaps and created 3 piles - give to friends, re-batch, and use for laundry soap. Yeah! Can ✔ that off the list!
Still have other loose ends to take care of, but it feels good to get this far.
Impressive! I’ve been soaping over 7 years, not organized yet!

Lot’s of fun ahead! I am new, too, just 10 batches made, so far. I am trying a lard soap recipe today.
Yay-welcome! I keep finding excuses to not soap. I want to 1st start with MP but then my made a quick purchase from the M craft store only to now want to order online. I ordered FOs and now I just ordered some colorants and realized since nothing has arrived from my online order I should just wait... o_O

Last edited:
Posting late! Or early depending on how you look at it. But my day job gets in the way. My niece asked me to make some St. Patrick's Day soap for her children's teachers. Just finished making some melt and pour decorations. The soap is supposed to be CP! So, since I'm so late, I will probably make 2 batches; 1 M&P and 1 CP. My family won't mind getting some fancy soap and the teachers will enjoy the "other" fancy stuff! I will post pictures when they're done.

Will you report the time-to-trace please, and the amount/percentage of lard used?
Batch 11 is done and no major disasters! This recipe is 40% lard, 30% co, 20% oo, 10%castor oil. I wanted to do the Ione swirl so left the water at 32%. It took 3 minutes to emulsify, using short burst of Sb alternating with stirring. Came to light trace quickly when I added the fragrance oil. I got the swirl done and added glitter WooHoo! I did learn a new thing...mixing fragrance oil with colors in a styrofoam cup is not good.

Attachments

• BE562030-FC4A-4FB6-83B8-8FF5C9677055.jpeg
    BE562030-FC4A-4FB6-83B8-8FF5C9677055.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 32
B74C7BE5-30F3-473D-9D53-4F95220D374A.jpeg Pipe divider pink’ and orange with swirls...was sooo happy. Got a little thick but still managed to get it done. Then i saw my fragrance bottle still full...*sigh*

Made Lilac Blossom soap and messed with my chicken and egg soap. I've been having issues getting the right shape and my mold leaked but at least the lilac blossom came out so far. It's supposed to be a slight gradient soap and I piped the top.View media item 2558View media item 2557
Beautiful, and awesome piping.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Shereen maybe stearic spots? If you start a new thread we can troubleshoot with you.

@Adobehead that actually looks awesome. I started with milk cartons too until we needed them for coffee takeaways but I like the rounded edges.

@Claudette Carignan was your batter too thin? Could be why the oatmeal was able to settle on the bottom?

As for me.... No soapy thing in a month ugh :(
I have No idea if it was or not. I followed the recipe according to the instructions. I took Them out of the mold today and they turned out great! I’m really happy with the results.
Made Lilac Blossom soap and messed with my chicken and egg soap. I've been having issues getting the right shape and my mold leaked but at least the lilac blossom came out so far. It's supposed to be a slight gradient soap and I piped the top.View media item 2558View media item 2557
so pretty!

Attachments

• CD0D76BA-787C-44D7-9A7F-46A856C34597.jpeg
    CD0D76BA-787C-44D7-9A7F-46A856C34597.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back