What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do these actually float like a rubber duck should in the tub? I only ask because I bought a bulk order of ducks and they all tipped forward or laid on their sides in the water which didn't suit my purpose. I wanted them to float in my cauldron with dry ice, water, and bubbles so they looked like they were bobbing in all of the bubbles. Instead it looked like I had a cauldron of dead ducks.
Most do not float upright. These are some I have out tonight 15812080415346077554537693818433.jpg

Exactly! I have had several 'disasters' over the past year and to my surprise they've turned out OK. I just cut my 'riced/lumpy soap' I made yesterday, and the worst it's encountered is glycerin rivers, which I totally embrace and don't mind at all. Thanks for crossing your fingers @Dawni! This is fragrance with Narcissus FO and Palmarosa and Sweet Orange EO.
View attachment 43814

View attachment 43815

@blueginkgo - your soaps are very pretty!
This looks so beautiful! I'm new at soap making, could you tell me how you made this?

What size are these, Carolyn? And where do you get them?

Today was a bath & body day rather than a soaping day. I'm getting ready for the season's first market next week.
The ones in the pic are mostly the 100 duck mixed batch from Amazon with a few individual 1 dozen packs. They are also available on Oriental Trading. Where did you get yours? Last night I sold 30 @ $2 each duckies and it was a slow night. Poopie duckies sold out last night. :lol:

Most do not float upright. These are some I have out tonightView attachment 43846

Those are Adorable! I only tested one duck so i have no clue if it was a fluke or not.

The ones in the pic are mostly the 100 duck mixed batch from Amazon with a few individual 1 dozen packs. They are also available on Oriental Trading. Where did you get yours? Last night I sold 30 @ $2 each duckies and it was a slow night. Poopie duckies sold out last night. :lol:

Got mine at Oriental trading when i had a free shipping code but then saw the ones on Amazon were cheaper (Not to mention faster). Amazon is probably where I will get the next batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
The soapy thing I did today was get bested by goat milk :(

Made a goat milk soap with the ice cube method and thought I was too cool for school so I didn't strain it and it's a thick, lumpy, but pleasantly fragrant mess. I shudder to think of what's going to happen when I cut it.

I'll try the split method, but I still have a lot of frozen goat milk cubes so I don't know if I should try another batch but strain the milk. I also put the lye/milk mix in a warm bath to heat it from 68 degrees up to 90...but that may have also been an error.

Revenge of the goats.

This looks so beautiful! I'm new at soap making, could you tell me how you made this?
In brief: Split the batter into roughly three parts and coloured each with Charcoal, Yellow Mica and Orange Mica respectively. I then poured the yellow mix into one side of the black mix, and the orange into the other side. Did ONE circular stir with a spoon, then poured up and down the mold until full. This is usually referred to as an 'in the pot' (ITP) swirl.

I just used my wellness card to order 12 bottles of jojoba oil at GNC. I love it in whipped butters and it is so expensive. I may even try it in soap since it was free.

I also ordered the basic tall skinny mold from Nurture. I have one but I have to hold in the sides with pickle jars to keep is from bowing. This way I can CPOP without the fear that homemade pickles will explode in the oven.

I just used my wellness card to order 12 bottles of jojoba oil at GNC. I love it in whipped butters and it is so expensive. I may even try it in soap since it was free.

I also ordered the basic tall skinny mold from Nurture. I have one but I have to hold in the sides with pickle jars to keep is from bowing. This way I can CPOP without the fear that homemade pickles will explode in the oven.
I wouldn't use it in soap unless you're doing M&P. I'd use it in a leave on product.

Cut the loaf of Patchouli soap I made yesterday. This was planned as a clyde swirl keeping the colors on one side of the loaf. Pouring the colors into the white thee colors got really thick, then when pouring into the mold the colors were coming out in thick plops rather than a nice steady stream. About halfway through pouring I raised the bowl high, shimmied it side to side, did a quick chopstick swirl and hoped for the best. Cutting it I was expecting big blobs of color and was surprised with nice wispy swirls. It never fails to amaze me how often the soaps that I expect to be ugly disasters turn out to be just the opposite.View attachment 43813
Very nice indeed!

Yesterday I decided to make a 100% O.O soap. with -40% SF that I saw on this forum in a post a few years ago: "Deanna, I have a question" from Feb / 2014.
It's just incredible!
I didn't use SB; I added the oil with the soda and stirred for about 50 min and when I decided to add the water in small quantities, always stirring, the magic happened!
I shaped and cut today; it's beautiful!!!
CP and without zap!
So happy!
Castille.jpg

Edit:
No soda, yes lye. Sorry for my poor/confuse english...

Last edited:
I cut my holeaf white bouquet Geode soap made yesterday and found everything I’d planned worked out and I’ve loads of glycerin rivers. Can’t wait to see how it cures now and how much moisture it loses as part of my learning :)

Yesterday I decided to make a 100% O.O soap. with -40% SF that I saw on this forum in a post a few years ago: "Deanna, I have a question" from Feb / 2014.
It's just incredible!
I didn't use SB; I added the oil with the soda and stirred for about 50 min and when I decided to add the water in small quantities, always stirring, the magic happened!
I shaped and cut today; it's beautiful!!!
CP and without zap!
So happy!View attachment 43867

I'm confused on your adding the soda to the oils....do you mean the lye to the oils? Also, at a -40 SF it should zap you until it's cured for some time.

Back