What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which way should I cut these? Four of each? I have half of the loaf left :). I intended to use the lengthwise cut to accent the thin line pour (bars on the right) but the cross cut on the left looks pretty nice, too. Yay for my first soap made with oxides. There are layers colored with mixed indigo and annatto oil in there too, but I’m not sure I can pick them out.

View attachment 43714
I tend to gravitate towards the swirls but I really like the look of the stripes too. I say do half and half. Lol. Probably doesn’t help.

I made a rebatch soap today. When I cut it, I thought “No way is this the soap that I crammed and jammed into the mold because it would not melt properly.” I’m happy :)

6F306C67-E87C-489E-88AA-5FF33DC085B5.jpeg

I had a soap playdate, too! About 10 days ago a friend emailed asking me to show her how to make soap...I figured she should come over the same afternoon!
We made a triple batch of my usual recipe (which will no longer be my usual recipe, without palm and all): unscented and uncoloured, lavender with kaolin clay, and sandalwood FO with ground oatmeal. I used milk cartons as molds so she could easily peel and cut. We'll see what she thinks!

I made a rebatch soap today. When I cut it, I thought “No way is this the soap that I crammed and jammed into the mold because it would not melt properly.” I’m happy :)

View attachment 43756

I like the look of rebatch soaps when the original soaps are not completely melted. I

View attachment 43756

I like the look of rebatch soaps when the original soaps are not completely melted and you can see the different textures throughout...someone could market it as designer soap to match quartz countertops and charge more.

Which way should I cut these? Four of each? I have half of the loaf left :). I intended to use the lengthwise cut to accent the thin line pour (bars on the right) but the cross cut on the left looks pretty nice, too. Yay for my first soap made with oxides. There are layers colored with mixed indigo and annatto oil in there too, but I’m not sure I can pick them out.

View attachment 43714
Very nice. I can't decide on the cut - I like both!

I like the look of rebatch soaps when the original soaps are not completely melted and you can see the different textures throughout...someone could market it as designer soap to match quartz countertops and charge more.
Like these? Hehehe
_20200203_230716.JPG

No soapy thing again for me in a couple of weeks other than fulfilling orders. Haven't made soap but I should soon... Also, have a custom order for a few bars for end of March - just about enough time.

View attachment 43714
Definitely the swirls. No wait, definitely the stripes. Wait, why be binary as my kids say -- definitely half and half. Gor-jus, nice job!

Billious rhino vixen?
Brilliant lol

Still no soap, but I did make an FB account and a page for my soaps, coz I have people inquiring from cousins n friends, who don't use Instagram. The two are linked.

If anyone is interested it's dawntoearthph on both FB and IG :)
Edit: weird, the quotes don't wanna be unquoted lol

View attachment 43756
A test piece of this soap came apart like puzzle pieces, which probably won’t surprise the HP soap makers. Throwing caution to the wind, I put the cut soaps into a prewarmed 220F oven, with the cut sides flat on a parchment paper lined tray. I let them soften up a bit, flipped them and let them go until they were quite soft to the touch. After cooling overnight, two of the nine bars came apart when I tried to gently “bend” them, but seven of them held together. I never even considered the possibility that the layers wouldn’t stick - so still on the newbie learning curve...

I forgot to mention I also poured some little Leprechaun size soaps in my
Leprechaun molds that were in the mail when I got home from my trip. They are really cute little sample soapies, and I just upped my batch size by 2 oz oils and had a perfect pour in one mold of 4 cavities.
20200204_073339[1].jpg BRV.jpg
ETA: to add pictures

Last edited:
I did a soap class last night for two ladies, they both picked new-to-me FO's that I have had for awhile but haven't soaped with yet. I did check the reviews quick for any known issues, seeing none we proceeded, and both soaped well. (Both NG: Rosewood & Musk, and Lavender Martini) Oh.my. They're both lovely smelling! They were on my to do list anyways, but now they've been moved up quite a bit, lol!

Tonight I'll be packaging soap, and if I get to soapmaking I think I have enough MB oils to do a small batch of yogurt honey soap. Tomorrow night I'll tackle making more MB oils because my local brewery put in a fairly big order that I'll need to start over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back