What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my Valentines Day soaps. I have issues with each of them, but I’ll keep it to myself for now :).

F56602F2-D9C1-4584-AFDC-87E8E66A954C.jpeg

I just went into olfactory overload yesterday and am still recovering. I had lots of FO's that I've been collecting that I decided I would test all at once rather than put them in my small batches of soap from time to time. I didn't realize that I would get such a headache from all of the scents as it is still lingering a bit this morning. They have been banished to the garage until they tone down a bit! If it wasn't around freezing here, they would be banished totally outside! Some are FO's that were recommended here, others were on sale and still others small samples that "sounded" interesting. I think I won't ever do that again! LOL Only one seized, several discolored, I am charting this and the smell for a bit...I don't usually keep soap around for more than 3-4 months so don't know if I'll get anything useful for anyone but me. My nose does not "smell" things the same as others...or at least OOB scents. Am trying to find a few scents that my daughter and I like. She may be my daughter but her nose does not have the same DNA! If I do the testing again I will stick to maybe a half dozen scents at once...25 was way too many. But a fun day and a learning one.

Made Shampoo Bars today.

Matcha & Nettle Shampoo Bars for oily hair (Lavender and Tea tree EO)
No added colorant

Rooibos Shampoo Bars for dry, frizzy hair (Bergamot, Cedar wood, Patchouli and Rosemary EO)
Natural colorant: Alkanet root

Luxury ACV Shampoo Bars for all hair types (Sweet orange, neroli and Patchouli)
Natural colorant: Krappwurzel

Now I can’t wait to see what the colors are going to look like!

Today I rendered 4 kilos of Ostrich fat. Next week I will be making tiny batches of soap with it to give to the Ostrich farmer. I have no idea what the soap will be like but an interesting project :) Goat's milk and Ostrich oil maybe?
Oh please keep us updated! Would love to know what the soap looks and feels like

Last edited by a moderator:
I took pictures of my Lemon & Poppyseed soap... does that count?
View attachment 43339

Beautiful! and YES! and who's yellow Mica is that?

I bought a tall and skinny mold to make soaps using the CP embed I made last week. Im sort of cross processing since its going into a HP loaf. My daughter is having her reception this summer and she wants soaps for the table gift. I making a white coconut milk soap with pink, blue, green, and purple pastel heart embeds. Just poured the first pink one.

Here are my Valentines Day soaps. I have issues with each of them, but I’ll keep it to myself for now :).

View attachment 43337

These are Gorgeous!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday I took an impromptu inventory of the soap that I have made, the lard that I have yet to render and the pile of wax from leftover holiday and emergency candles. To date I have made 6 two pound batches. I have at least that much more Lard. I have more weight than that in candle wax. The total number of bars of soap that I have made is 69. I opted to not make soap today. Instead I put some time into my old kitchen in my former dwelling. Getting rid of stuff that I know that I don't need because it didn't make it to my new kitchen (10 years ago, time flies). I did find a 1" or so hole next to my window AC unit that the house wrens have been using for an entry and exit point. persistent little boogers. They kind of remind me of the way little mice behave.
housewren.jpg

Last edited:
I am waiting for supplies, so no soap making here until the weekend. Shipping costs almost broke my bank account.

You never know what you're going to get until you cut, eh? This time I got two hummingbirds!
View attachment 43379 View attachment 43380
Love it love it love it! Knowing you, @KiwiMoose this was intentional and skillful -- and timed just perfectly after @KeepItSimpleSoap 's post!

I bought ingredients for homemade laundry soap, which is one of my New Years resolutions. I did end up buying a bar of Fels-Naptha because I'm too impatient to make soap and wait for the cure.

Back