What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jstheidi I hope that isn't what is wrong with my right shoulder. I injured it just over a year ago. The worst part of it is sleeping. I will wake up with my arm up under my pillow and it feels like my shoulder is almost dislocated. During the day I can barely lift my arm over shoulder height. I am awake now because of it.
In 1985 I had surgery on the left side from a bucket tear on the front edge of the socket. It has been doing ok thankfully. I wish you a speedy recovery!

@Misschief I wondered if cornmeal would get soggy or not during the soaping process.

Hello
I made my first soap bars. They don’t look as fancy as yours but I’m very proud of myself and it turned out great!

Attachments

• A78CA532-D080-4569-B54C-58FB7C183C34.jpeg
    A78CA532-D080-4569-B54C-58FB7C183C34.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 41
I ordered water soluble paper to use in a soap for my granddaughter's graduation. I'll be printing the high school logo on the paper and decoupaging it onto the surface of the soap. That's the last thing I had to order to get this soap started. The colorants came the day before we left for the holidays, and the mixer to mix the micas came while we were gone. We are back now and I am planning to get started on this soap sometime this week. But first I have some household things & errands to catch up on before that. Plus I need to inventory the oils to see if I need to purchase more or for this soap or adjust the formula so I don't have more bottles of oil to store.

Hello
I made my first soap bars. They don’t look as fancy as yours but I’m very proud of myself and it turned out great!
Congratulations! They look great. To tell the truth, until I got to this forum, I never even thought of using colors let alone, all the fancy swirls and layers. And now at times, I am tempted. But there still isn't anything wrong with a plain bar of soap. Welcome to the soaping habit!

Unmolded and cut my soap! I used red palm oil at 5% and think that is strong enough. My mold is stained yellow and I'm hoping it's temporary. The patchouli/lemon/lemongrass smells awesome.

Must. Not. Use. for 6 weeks.... View attachment 43294 View attachment 43295
That's a beautiful butterfly swirl you've got there Zingy my man! I tried that once and it looked more like one of those psychiatrists 'blotch tests'.

Last night, I made a batch of oatmeal-goat's-milk-honey with 500g of oil in order to try out my leprechaun-sized molds. I unmolded today, and was pleasantly surprised that the details came out pretty well for such a small mold. The picture shows the rest of the batch, as well, which I poured into more typical-sized cavity-mold bars for comparison. View attachment 43266 View attachment 43267

@AliOop Those are Beautiful!

Hello
That looks like very good soap @Nada.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made soap last night using Royalty Soaps recipe - just out of curiosity. I've always wanted to buy her soaps, but never seem to get there in time for the ones I really want, so decided I would make a small batch just to try it. I did not pipe any frosting, just a regular bar of soap. I used heat transfer method and hand stirred until the hard oils were melted all the way, then added the FO and stick blended for about 5 seconds. The FO accelerated, so I was glad that I had premixed my colors in oil and water (one was a neon pigment that's easier to disperse in water without lumps). I did get all the colors mixed and plopped into the bowl, gave everything thing a good spoon swirl before putting it in the mold, so hopefully my colors didn't muddle up and I don't have any air pockets. It wasn't the worst acceleration I've ever dealt with by any means! I used WSP's Cactus & Aloe Water fragrance - I think it would be a really nice FO for making layers, but definitely don't recommend it for ITPS. When I went to bed last night it was gelling nicely on its own uncovered and no separation so I think the 5 second stick blend was enough to get everything together - always my biggest concern when using an accelerating FO.

Then I had some extra time on my hands and was avoiding dishes, so I mixed up a small batch of body wash to see if I could get the process down right - last time I made it the btms didn't melt enough so we have little chunks of that in our body wash (and I made 4 bottles for us, gah!). So I seem to have worked that out. Hopefully this appeases the two snooty boys living in my house that refuse to use bar soap. (Well, I shouldn't entirely say that for both of them, one will use bar soap if it's unscented, but not all the time. The other one won't touch it at all. The third boy, the one I gave birth to, will only use bar soap. He's a smart kid that one :D)

I work tonight, so I'm hoping it's slow so I can come home early and do dishes. It needs to be done badly.

My first soap batch using colour!
Looks a bit like an ultrasound-y, but overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. That said, I ended up overmixing the trace a bit and was so anxious about getting it all into the mold I entirely forgot to add any scent. lol

Oh well, next time!

20200103_200747.jpg

Back