What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a 12 bar batch last night. Used Crisco for the first time (I got a brick of it for my birthday.). And I used a new fragrance - Cedar Patchouli. Again, this one went to heavy trace very quickly once the scent was added. Just had time to pour it. Seems to have come out ok tho. Probably will cut it tomorrow morning.

Tried using activated charcoal for the first time. Batter got fairly thick fairly quick. Pretty sure I waaaaay over mixed for tallow, palm, coconut.
Got some swirl-lime out of it :)

Attachments

• 20191215_093811.jpg
    20191215_093811.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 57
Used Crisco for the first time (I got a brick of it for my birthday.).
Hehe, not many people you could gift Crisco :tub:

Tried to breed the goats, for milk, for soap. Emphasis on 'tried'. She was just NOT gonna, lol.

Awww, that's 'cause she's a lady. Gotta romance her a little. Did you try serenading her? ;)

Awww, that's 'cause she's a lady. Gotta romance her a little. Did you try serenading her? ;)
:lol:
See, he's in rut, and SOOOOO ready!! Unfortunately, it seems, Marley isn't the one in estrus (and keeping him in rut). Even more unfortunately, their doeling, Calypso is.:beatinghead: I know many are ok with 'line-breeding', but, it's not something I'm interested in doing, so my sweet boy didn't get any, lol. Now, I need to get Calypso into a separate area, so (hopefully) Kola's 'attentions' (aka hilarious faces, sound effects, and peeing on his beard, as well as those he ehh... aims - directly at her, lol) will get her hormones back in the mood. :oops::rolleyes::p

Made a 12 bar batch last night. Used Crisco for the first time (I got a brick of it for my birthday.). And I used a new fragrance - Cedar Patchouli. Again, this one went to heavy trace very quickly once the scent was added. Just had time to pour it. Seems to have come out ok tho. Probably will cut it tomorrow morning.

I think it might be the patchouli, everytime Ive used it in soap its accelerated my batter almost instantly.

I have been a bit MIA lately, Daughters wedding got moved waaay up because best man is being deployed so its been nuts, however, also doing a lot of soapy things and my inventory is going into Christmas presents. I have been wrapping and labeling a ton of finally cured soaps to make the gift packs. Next step is to label the lotions and sugar scrubs and assemble. Ill be glad when its over.

Today, after some kind of week long existential soaping crisis (Why make the stuff? Does anyone appreciate my genius? Does making soap make any difference in the grand cosmic scheme of thing? Can I even be bothered?) I am going to (not have done, but the intention is what counts) make a mini-batch of shaving soap with a magic blend of frankincense, rosemary and patchouli, and a big batch of CP chocolate scented soap. In Spain, if soap doesn't smell of some kind of food, it doesn't shift.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of paella FO?

I made a couple of soaps this weekend, nothing to write home about. Made a HP using floral scent and coconut cream for the first time. I also made a CP that was okay but not excited about. I need to get scrubs and butters done for holiday gifts and have been so busy at work I don't want to do anything when I get home.

So does that mean you're entering the December New to You challenge?
Not officially :)
I just unfolded a soleseife last night, based on the Zaney recipe. Added activated charcoal and rosemary and lavender EO.
Very happy how these turned out.

Attachments

• 20191216_194913.jpg
    20191216_194913.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 46
I like the blobs...

Try mixing your charcoal with glycerine to make a thick paste before adding it to the oils. Stick Blend until incorporated and add your lye - I will sometimes add additional water (just a bit) to give me a little more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to breed the goats, for milk, for soap. Emphasis on 'tried'. She was just NOT gonna, lol.
I have a friend with goats he says u have to separate them from the rest of the heard in HER territory, and from there its an interesting show..... ummm wait, you dont have to breed them for milk, you just have to milk them..... WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!????

i made 100% deer tallow, goats milk with honey soap and a 100% lard, goats milk and honey soap.

Deer tallow was brittle, but i think i had the lye and oil temperatures not close enough together, it was seizing when i was mixing. The lard is soft. But I was excited to experiment. I know more stuff now LOL and next time will be better. I do think the tallow will be quite wonderful mixed with other oils.

Yo @MGM wassup? Haven't seen you in a while... Hope all's well.

I was supposed to soap tonight, but my cousin n her girlfriend n friends came over... So I'm a bit too tipsy to do anything soapy.

But... I made three batches of lotion bars today, for two orders. I'm down to my last maybe two batches of supplies... And if I use those in soap I won't have enough so I've ordered some more. Let's see if they come before Christmas lol

Need to order RBO for next round of MB oils. Somehow missed that when I did my supplies restock in August. Oops.

Currently working through my yogurt & honey series and trying to use up the EO's I don't plan to restock just to free up space. Thinking I will cut my EO's down to just spearmint and eucalyptus that I know stick well and sell well. I don't have much left in some of the bottles so some of the mixes are getting pretty interesting - like the lime soap I made over the weekend. I didn't have enough lime, so added lemon 5x, which I also didn't have enough of so finished off a bottle of May Chang, and was still short total EO (and still well within safety usage rates for those three oils). Hopefully that lime and May Chang will hold up, because I'm certain there wasn't enough lemon 5x to do the job. Although now that I'm thinking about it out of the moment of panic, I could have added pineapple FO and might have had a nice lime pineapple blend. At least then the green colored soap might have made more sense... oh well.

I have to restock Nag Champa this week and work on a custom order for Valentine's Day. I also finished up a custom unscented uncolored aloe soap for a gal who ordered the same thing earlier in the year, she was getting down to her last 3 bars so put a second order in. I love customers who understand that soap takes time and get their orders in well in advance!

Back