What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hestland Gård means Horse Country Farm in Norwegian. My mom’s family is all from Norway and her maiden name was Hetland: close to Hestland. The reason for the horse-related name is that up until last year we had two beloved horses who I had to sell because of my horrible arthritis.
I am sorry about your having to sell your horses because of arthritis. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and had to unload my beautiful Swedish Gimåkra loom:(. However, I am finding some substitutes such as a small table loom, knitting, spinning, and yes, making soap!:)

My soapy thing today is reading as many posts from the last 24 days that I can. I have been so busy with moving into my new house that I haven't had a second to even sit and relax. Still lots to get done too and I will be scarce for a few more weeks at least (I do not multi-task very well; so until I am satisfied with the house I will have a hard time expending mental or physical energy on anything else.) I miss you all though.:)
Miss you, too! Are you sure you don’t have time for a soap making break? It’s very therapeutic :) Seriously, congratulations on the new house!

I also made soap for the first time in far too long! Tried a couple new things (adding sugar to the lye solution to try and promote bubbles, using cocoa powder and turmeric as colorants, only stick-blending to emulsion and then whisking to trace) and I'm happy with how it looks! Scented with blood orange, cinnamon, and clove EO. The first of many holiday season soaps I have planned :)

I spent an hour and a half researching the FDA's rules on products containing Hemp Seed Oil. :beatinghead: I had already used some to make a batch of soap for the first time, and some lotion but then thought, ok well its legal here (Just hemp seed oil) but what about elsewhere? Luckily found out its ok with proper labeling and no claims made which is normal.

After pondering who of our members is named Cella, it occurred to me that @sirtim was shamelessly in love with a shaving soap. :rolleyes: I should have known. For others that may be interested. I looked it up. Here's what I found:

Cella Shaving Cream, Almond

Ingredients: cocos nucifera, tallow, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, aqua, potassium carbonate, parfum.

ETA: Uh oh. If you want to duplicate Cella, you're in for a whole new adventure. Cream Soap involves using both NaOH and KOH plus potassium carbonate, "rotting" for 2 months and other things like "whipping" your dear Cella. :eek: No worries. If you search "Cream Soap" you'll find lots of threads on the subject. Here's my favorite:

LINDY'S EXCELLENT CREAM SOAP TUTORIAL

The NGO event is over, thank God! Back to relative normality.

Well, I can't be shamelessly in love with any of you people, you all live so far away (USA, NZ, Ocker, Philippines, Canada, etc.), so the only thing left is to love a soap. And what a soap! Pure Italian style (I love Italy and everything it represents has. It's like Spain, but a great deal more stylish). Cella smells of marzipan, gives a very creamy lather and a cosy shave. It's a croap, like Proraso, but even creamier.

What does lanolin do in soap?

The use of lanolin, at least in shaving soap, is the cause of fierce debates, schisms, accusations and counter-accusations of heresy and apostasy; something pretty akin to the the Protestant Reformation.

The pro-lanolin school swear that it acts as a lubricant and moisturizer (viz. Mitchell's Wool Fat). The anti-lanolin sect decry it as essentially useless. I'm in neither one camp or the other, I'm essentially weird and like the idea of sticking wool fat in anything. There is also the fact that lanolin in soap is said to be good for people with sensitive skin, and my fine, delicate, peaches and cream, Anglo-Saxon, complexion needs all the help it can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
FINALLY I can contribute to this topic again after 7 months (spent selling a beloved house, moving several states away, 2 short-term apartments, job hunting, starting a job, house hunting, buying a house with NO KITCHEN, renovating). Because I have no kitchen, I'm spending the weekend at a friend's house who has a stove and everything. I've missed soap-making like CRAZY and made 2 molds of my basic recipe with lavender eo and colored gray and pink to match our new bath. I love reaching in under the towels to feel the warm molds. The hard part is waiting 6 more weeks to use it. I long ago ran out of homemade soap and my skin is just not liking the store stuff.

It's too late to make soap for Christmas gifts so I'm kicking out a lot of lotion bars this weekend too.

FINALLY I can contribute to this topic again after 7 months (spent selling a beloved house, moving several states away, 2 short-term apartments, job hunting, starting a job, house hunting, buying a house with NO KITCHEN, renovating). Because I have no kitchen, I'm spending the weekend at a friend's house who has a stove and everything. I've missed soap-making like CRAZY and made 2 molds of my basic recipe with lavender eo and colored gray and pink to match our new bath. I love reaching in under the towels to feel the warm molds. The hard part is waiting 6 more weeks to use it. I long ago ran out of homemade soap and my skin is just not liking the store stuff.

It's too late to make soap for Christmas gifts so I'm kicking out a lot of lotion bars this weekend too.
Welcome back!

I missed everyone too! What did I miss?
Umm.. Lots. Soap, lil bit of drama, lots of giggles.... Did I say soap? Lol

Missed you @Zing!

Delivered some orders today. Customer lived nearby and wanted to meet halfway, instead of shipping it in plastic.. Love customers like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_014000_755.jpg
    IMG_20191209_014000_755.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
I think these will be ok. This is nowhere near the intended design.

Rose scented. Blue because the person they are being gifted to is allergic to red dye. I cannot convince this person that not all red dyes are the same, and micas are different. Sigh. They are a hardcore know it all.

View attachment 42475

Oh, and the pink tops of the slab cuts, they are starting to morph back to blue. Which suits the fragrance, but I am going to miss the light pink top. Ugh. I hate surprises
I liked those pink tops too <3

I made soap stones for the first time! View attachment 42456
These are great, good job on your first stone soaps!

Carrot, Citrus and Cinnamon soap made today. Used carrot puree (homemade) and aloe Juice ( home made) as 1/4 each of the water content. Added apple harvest FO very (cinnamon-ey) with sweet orange, May Chang, Cinnamon and Cedarwood EOs. Used cinnamon powder to colour half the mix.
View attachment 42878
So this is all natural colorants? From the carrot puree and cinnamon powder? Looks great!

Back