What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herbal Seas? Herbal Citrus?

I ordered all my ingredients to make Syndet Shampoo Bars!!!! Guess what I'll be making this week?
That is so exciting! That’s next on my list of new endeavors.

@bookreader451 @KiwiSoap I opined above that aloe juice is mostly water and sugar, which was based on an analysis I found in a food database or a research paper. This afternoon I looked at the container I have in the frig, which lists nothing nutritive other than salt. So scratch the sugar for the bottled stuff from Walmart.

My soaps for the day were supposed to be blue, but seem to be green. Two different blue micas both went green (Nurture Sky Blue and Baby Blue; I decided this color shift may have been due to an FO that discolored a bit on the yellow side). A third one (Nurture Klein Blue) stayed blue, but I forgot to add it to the slab mold o_O. I used 37% lye concentration and wonder if it’s a pH effect and they just need time. I also went all out to make the tops pop. Did I overdo it in the slab mold?

View attachment 42791
Over do? Heck no! They look great.

:rolling:
Bought the crock pot, now it's self-flagellation for at least two days ("Why oh why do I buy these things? Think of the bills, think of the bills!"). Just to help me really wallow in those guilt feelings, I also bought a small bottle of rosemary EO (for testing, but "oh dear oh dear what have you done?") and some almond oil (good price, but "oh you spendthrift fool, you'll have no money soon and you'll end up eating the soap").

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, have we seen that soap? I don’t recognize it :)
I think so? Lol

It's one of my fails for the October challenge. I posted there the newly cut soap. I cleaned them off and they're quite nice a couple of cms underneath.

The color is inspired by a rice cake called bibingka that people make n sell on the road side usually after simbang gabi. It's based off my extra rice recipe and I know it'll feel good, even if it looks like a kid's abstract art lol

Here's are the two I didn't like enough to gift/sell still unwrapped. I always keep two bars for myself from each batch hehe

Attachments

• _20191204_115410.JPG
    _20191204_115410.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 32
I think so? Lol

It's one of my fails for the October challenge. I posted there the newly cut soap. I cleaned them off and they're quite nice a couple of cms underneath.

The color is inspired by a rice cake called bibingka that people make n sell on the road side usually after simbang gabi. It's based off my extra rice recipe and I know it'll feel good, even if it looks like a kid's abstract art lol

Here's are the two I didn't like enough to gift/sell still unwrapped. I always keep two bars for myself from each batch hehe
Nice! Is that sandalwood powder for the red?

I dreamt about shampoo bars last night. It’s all the research I’ve been doing and finally ordered the other day.
I did it! Made shampoo bars! I tested one this morning though and I think the recipe needs tweaking - nowhere near as much lather as the Lush ones. It took about five circles round my head to get it lathered, instead of the Lush which take one or two.
IMG_1627.jpeg IMG_1628.jpeg

Nice! Is that sandalwood powder for the red?
It looks red? It's actually cocoa powder and a brown that got too dark. The yellow is annatto.

I did it! Made shampoo bars! I tested one this morning though and I think the recipe needs tweaking - nowhere near as much lather as the Lush ones. It took about five circles round my head to get it lathered, instead of the Lush which take one or two.
View attachment 42826 View attachment 42827
Looks great! Did you use mica for the color?

Made another test batch of Songwind's recipe with a small tweak, brought on by a shortage of stearic acid. To make 8 oz with the 3.5 oz SA I had, I added some tallow. The end result was (in oz):

3.5 stearic acid
3.5 CO
1 tallow
3 water
1.7 KOH

The justification for the change, apart from the shortage, was to try a shaving soap with tallow. I added 1.5 tablespoon of glycerine and a 0.25 oz blend of lavender, rosemary, bergamot and peppermint as per the recipe. Followed DeeAnna's process from start to finish, and the end result looks (and smells) good. It's now in a Pringles mini container (ate the Pringles in the interests of science and furthering human knowledge), and that's it.

Happy soaping, everyone

Please tell me you lined the pringles can!
Like for real, on my reddit group someone posted a huge ranty "warning" about the pringles can haveing metal inside of it and how the lye reacts with said metal blah blah blah,..... and all i could do was reply with ‍♀️

I don't normally use Pringles per se, but a generic brand that has the same container format. According to the manufacturer the interior is lined first with a plastic coating before the layer of aluminium, so that convinced me to try using one without lining. Several attempts later I'm still alive and have not lost my sight from phosgene gas or whatever horror lye produces in reaction with aluminium.

Having said that, this little packet of "authentic" Pringles I just used didn't look very "plastified" and so I put in some lining. Just in case.

I have seen some people giving dire warnings about the hazards of Pringles cans, but many others also comment that there is a plastic lining to protect the foodstuff from contact with the metal, and I'm inclined to believe the latter group. At the same time, I've always used this generic brand of Pringles (50 cents cheaper, and basically identical), and as I said, I've come out of the experience unscathed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the "real" Pringles containers are safe.

Taste good, though...

I don't normally use Pringles per se, but a generic brand that has the same container format. According to the manufacturer the interior is lined first with a plastic coating before the layer of aluminium, so that convinced me to try using one without lining. Several attempts later I'm still alive and have not lost my sight from phosgene gas or whatever horror lye produces in reaction with aluminium.

Having said that, this little packet of "authentic" Pringles I just used didn't look very "plastified" and so I put in some lining. Just in case.

I have seen some people giving dire warnings about the hazards of Pringles cans, but many others also comment that there is a plastic lining to protect the foodstuff from contact with the metal, and I'm inclined to believe the latter group. At the same time, I've always used this generic brand of Pringles (50 cents cheaper, and basically identical), and as I said, I've come out of the experience unscathed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the "real" Pringles containers are safe.

Taste good, though...
I believe that the cans are lined with plastic to protect food inside but some people ..... ya know just want to complain

I used Pringles cans a lot before I could save up n buy molds.. The original ones made soap too big for my tiny hands but the local version was just right.

I never lined either. I get mixed results unmolding. Sometimes the soap just slid out and I can clean and reuse the can. Sometimes I have to tear it out lol

One of first soaps posted here was molded in a Pringles can, somewhere in October last year. No DOS or anything, seems to have no nasty side effects after a year.

What did you scent it with? I use a blue green with just a smidge of black for my rosemary bars
Ha! Rosemary/Patchouli/May Chang (Litsea)

And today I made Black Raspberry Vanilla soap that doesn't discolour! ( Nature's Garden). No probs soaping this one, and had a nice fluid batter to work with. There's a surprise underneath:
IMG_1629.jpeg IMG_1630.jpeg

View attachment 42826 View attachment 42827
Those look great. I think shampoo bars are the next rabbit hole I will go down.

Back