What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My soapy thing was paying $5.00 state tax on my puny sales. My CPA says I need to consider becoming a hobby. I give more away than I sell. It’s a bit sad, but I retired after 20 years active duty Air Force, then immediately went to work doing civilian anesthesia for 10 years then retired again. I don’t feel like working hard at a job again. I just want to have fun making soap!

Cutting it real close with my challenge entry..... Soap is in the pot but I'm hoping it hardens up in time for me to cut n take pics.

I haven't soaped in more than a month. Hopefully all goes well....

Edit:
It didn't :(
Awwww - still usable though, so it's not wasted right?

I made a batch of CP soap to use thawed sheep tallow. Added cocoa butter, olive oil and castor oil. Poured into individual molds and scented them individually (even jotted down the names of the scents used in individual mold). Also played with red and yellow ochre and a red and violet fluid colour. I've tried to learn about the composition but my search by its name (Soapy Lux) gave no useful hits :-(

I made my "long term" (cure 6 months) soap as I call it-10% CO, 45% OO & lard. But it accelerated and turned solid within 30 seconds, my first time experiencing this. I've read this forum enough to know not to panic so I hurried and just put in the mold quickly.

The mica started out a beautiful purple until the lye hit it and then it morphed into an ugly brownish hue, yuck. I definitely think the mica accelerated the batter. It was a tester I bought on Amazon-never again. Lucky this is for my use so no harm.

I added a raspberry lemonade fo & lemongrass eo so it smells good. I have yet to experience ricing, can't wait:shakinghead:.

Update: Tested the soap today and it's surprisingly sudsy for a high conditioning soap (70 according to soapee.com). I expected some lather due to the castor oil but it was more than I anticipated. I expected it to be more like the Castille soap I made several months ago. But it's much better. May only wait 3 months to use it and in the light, the color is a very pastel lavender.

Last edited:
Made my last 40-bar batch today. Peppermint oatmeal. Seems to have come out well. It's all covered by a pillow and comforter now. When I was pouring the soap, the peppermint was so strong it was stinging my eyes.
Now I am going to focus on much smaller batches - 9 and 10 bars. I have some experimenting to do with some very old EOs and FOs. I just can't throw them out; they cost me a fortune. We'll see what happens. I'll have to stock up on base oils again.

Cutting it real close with my challenge entry..... Soap is in the pot but I'm hoping it hardens up in time for me to cut n take pics.

I haven't soaped in more than a month. Hopefully all goes well....

Edit:
It didn't :(

It didn't go well? Or it didn't harden up? Report please!

Today I did a lather test for a bastille soap that I made three weeks ago: 82% olive oil, 15% coconut oil, 3% castor, and a 5% superfat. Scented with essential oil blend that is skin friendly. I *think* I used rice milk for half the water, but I didn't write that part down so I'm really bummed because the soap is amazing and I will have to guess when I try to duplicate it. It still needs to cure for a while but I cannot wait till it's ready. It feels so smooth, has a beautiful creamy color, and my hands are not dry at all after washing even though it is young. Next time I might bump up the OO and drop the CO a bit just to see how much difference it makes.

Awwww - still usable though, so it's not wasted right?
Nope, not wasted. One of the perks of HP in my opinion lol. I may have ended with weird blobs but it'll be perfectly usable :)

It didn't go well? Or it didn't harden up? Report please!
Didn't go well as far as the challenge is concerned. It's soap.. And it did harden up and I cut it just now. Won't be able to enter it coz it looks nothing like how it's supposed to haha. I'll share pics later, and some observations.

I have time for another go, deadline is tomorrow around this time for me. Need to stash the kid somewhere hahaha

Last edited:
Did two HP soaps last night. One was a rebatch which was previously a CP soap. When I first did that one I realized, through resarch at this forum, that it I might have reached false trace. So I rebatched it. I was very happy with how it turned out. I'll post in the gallery tomorrow. I've got two more HP soap to do today. I mostly do CP, but I'm really liking HP!

I made labels and packaged half of the soaps last night. I'll finish the rest tonight, and then a friend is coming over to sage the heck out of my soap dungeon. I have some seriously bad gremlins making camp in there and they need to leave. I also have soap dishes to do. Then I'll be crossing my fingers that the sage did its job and making soap this weekend.

The Soap List:
Fudge Brownie (quit laughing, I swear I'm going to make it this time!)
Pine Tar
Castile (I made an experimental batch 5 or 6 months ago that has a waiting list for when it comes off the cure, so I need to get a second batch put up)
Random soap (whatever I feel like making)

I have time for another go, deadline is tomorrow around this time for me. Need to stash the kid somewhere hahaha
Eh? Soap is made. Not much better than the first try. No time for another go. If I get drops I'll enter otherwise I'll show off my mistakes lol

Had a chance to make couple soaps today: Calendula with olive oil infused with calendula, layered Rainbow, and first ever butterfly embed (link) in a regular loaf of patchouli soap. Why is it always so hard to wait to cut them?
Is the butterfly mold...large...as in it can be a stand alone soap...or more made for embeds? Thanks

I had a 12 hour overnight shift last night and then couldn't go to sleep when I got home because I had to take the girl spawn to school then pick her back up at 10am for a dr's appointment so what did I do for the 3 hours between so I wouldn't fall asleep and forget to get her?

what i do instead of sleeping.jpg

Test batch intentionally working with a discoloring FO (Nurture's High Priest) and decided to try out a hanger swirl while I was at it. Mica's are Shimmer Gold (also from Nurture) and Steelworks from Mad Micas. It was gelling wonderfully when I got home from the appointment but now that I've had my nap I'm trying to leave it be to do it's thing. I'm so nosy about my soaps in the mold.

My house smells amazing this is the best hobby ever

I finalized my own custom fragrance and made the very first batch of soap with it. I'm hoping the scent carries through and lasts well in my soap. I've had a lot of interest in it since I mentioned the idea. I got the inspiration from both the current political climate and a cocktail.

I can't wait to cut into it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back