What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excited to see that. The top looks great :)

Soapy thing:
Tested a salt bar crumb lol

And "window shopped" for calendula n lavender flowers coz I'm running low and for packaging materials to see what options I have.
I do a lot of 'window shopping' of an evening. Putting things in my cart. Then going back the next day and taking them out because I think I should use up the stuff I have before ordering any more...

I’ve been making soaps for about 6 months now. I love it and love using my soaps! I tried my hand at infusing oils. I made a Chamomile and Lavender “almost” Castile soap. With chamomile infused olive and coconut oils and a wee bit of castor oil and lavender EO. Will it really take 2 months to cure?

I do not care for either scent, to be honest. But, she loves them. I used peppermint on a 2:1 ratio to the lavender. It smelled too "what the heck is that?" with a 1:1 ratio. This way it is peppermint with a hint of the lavender.
I made my daughter some Shea butter soap with peppermint EO upon request. I can’t wait till it cures and only cause I’m worried it’s going to tingle the skin when washing. I’m actually obsessing about it. When I put a few drops in my vinegar hair rinse my scalp tingles quite a bit... so now I’m worried. Lol... the things that go trough my head!!!

Attachments

• 8BC5D365-9622-4468-A779-9684D29FC90B.jpeg
    8BC5D365-9622-4468-A779-9684D29FC90B.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
I made my daughter some Shea butter soap with peppermint EO upon request. I can’t wait till it cures and only cause I’m worried it’s going to tingle the skin when washing. I’m actually obsessing about it. When I put a few drops in my vinegar hair rinse my scalp tingles quite a bit... so now I’m worried. Lol... the things that go trough my head!!!
peppermint tingles the nethers ;) makes for a fun morning shower.

started off cleaning up my soapy mess that decided to spread (and it wasn't even dishes). felt pretty good about getting things put away so I pulled out my stuff for lotion bars and made a couple different scents (and put stuff away) then took care of the solid bubble bars I have been busy making--2 batches are too wet still and crumbly, once they dry would it be ok too just crumble and package to gift? and finally decided it was time to make a batch of soap-made a batch of Bite Me :) then I felted a couple more bars

TIP: The next time that happens, set the timer for 5 minutes and walk away. When you come back, the batch will be going into gel and it's easy to stir and mold up. ;)
What a great idea Zany! Thank you so much for the tip....and it likely WILL happen again, as i still have nearly full bottles of the E.O.'s and F.O.'s I used for this batch. So this is definitely a "gem" to remember for next time! Thanks again! :)

I seem to have acquired entirely too many FOs that discolor to dark brown, which means the brown soap journey begins... Peppermint mocha seemed like a good place to start. If things go as planned, there will be two brown tones, but I’m not calling this a latte because I was too lazy to make white soap for the top.

View attachment 42103
This looks like very yummy soap, Mobjack! Don't fret too much if it doesn't look the way you wanted. I learned the hard way that it doesn't matter if soap is pretty, or well sculpted or just plain ugly. It's all about whether or not it's a good soap. So if it makes your skin feel great, you've done a good job! This advice might not hold up from a business standpoint, when you are selling soap for a living. But, if you have a great soap that looks funny, give it a name that is funnier still, and just might have a winner! Just spreading my bit of soapy love for the day. LOL!
PS Will you be posting picture updates? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok It couldn’t wait much longer and have cut my first drop swirl soap there is a picture further up the thread showing it in the mould. Here is the full reveal. I know to a lot of experienced soapers it may be old hat but I am delighted with it for a first successful soap. I want to thank all the lovely members who helped me to get to here you are all great and very much appreciated
197512E7-82C0-4C12-9E65-841DB4D51DC4.jpeg

I can't remember what was on my to do list for last week, so I can't report back if I accomplished it or not. Yes, I could go back through the posts and look but it's much less work to assume that I DID finish that list and move on to this week.

This week:
Third time's the charm for the mini drop swirl challenge.
One fudge brownie soap
and a partridge in a pear tree.
In all seriousness, if I get those two soaps made I'll be good for the week. But first... dishes. And impatiently checking the shampoo bars that I made last night. It's ridiculous that I can wait 4-6 weeks for soap with no problem, but 7 days for shampoo bars to dry out is about killing me! I find excuses just to go to the basement so I can stop and fondle them. I'm 100% certain that it's more to do with how professional they look from being pressed rather than glopped into a cavity mold.

Despite murmurings on another thread that i would be doing a fancy swirl, I took the easier route of trying out out my new Black Currant Tea fragrance from Candle Science. Gosh it smells good! Unfortunately it does discolour though, so fingers crossed on this puppy - coloured with purple mica, TD and FO added in half, then the other half with May Chang and TD. Poured half the purple on the bottom, ITP swirl of both for the centre, and then poured the white on top. I so wish yummy fragrances didn't discolour.
IMG_1516.jpg

I can't remember what was on my to do list for last week, so I can't report back if I accomplished it or not. Yes, I could go back through the posts and look but it's much less work to assume that I DID finish that list and move on to this week.

This week:
Third time's the charm for the mini drop swirl challenge.
One fudge brownie soap
and a partridge in a pear tree.
In all seriousness, if I get those two soaps made I'll be good for the week. But first... dishes. And impatiently checking the shampoo bars that I made last night. It's ridiculous that I can wait 4-6 weeks for soap with no problem, but 7 days for shampoo bars to dry out is about killing me! I find excuses just to go to the basement so I can stop and fondle them. I'm 100% certain that it's more to do with how professional they look from being pressed rather than glopped into a cavity mold.
You crack me up!

Ok It couldn’t wait much longer and have cut my first drop swirl soap there is a picture further up the thread showing it in the mould. Here is the full reveal. I know to a lot of experienced soapers it may be old hat but I am delighted with it for a first successful soap. I want to thank all the lovely members who helped me to get to here you are all great and very much appreciatedView attachment 42155
Looks great! :)

Despite murmurings on another thread that i would be doing a fancy swirl, I took the easier route of trying out out my new Black Currant Tea fragrance from Candle Science. Gosh it smells good! Unfortunately it does discolour though, so fingers crossed on this puppy - coloured with purple mica, TD and FO added in half, then the other half with May Chang and TD. Poured half the purple on the bottom, ITP swirl of both for the centre, and then poured the white on top. I so wish yummy fragrances didn't discolour.
View attachment 42159

Very pretty top! That scent sounds like my "style" - hopefully it doesn't discolor too much.

So here’s my dreadfully discolouring FO (Blackcurrant Tea by Candle Science) used in my soap with bright violet mica. Just cut. It may discolour even more yet. It seems the mica was completely enveloped my the FO. However, the last pic is a bit of ungelled soap dough with an off cut of the gelled soap - I’m so glad I gelled coz that looks like calf poo!
5FD8E7D0-6F8D-4549-9105-E09DDA5E5FFA.jpeg 26B2F82D-807F-4E2D-A468-A274C94B49FC.jpeg 9A4738B6-C157-4E7E-9722-B6D5B000B325.jpeg

Latest posts

Back