What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a sugar plum, anyway?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_plum
Mainly is said it refers to many different things. A small round or oval candy usually a sugar coated seed, nut, or spice. An English desert of sugar and spice coated baked plums. Two plant species one of which is persimmons and the other has dark purple, edible, sweet fruits.

I used up all of my master batched oils and lye today. I finally have a closing date and I am moving to my new house in a month. I didn't want to move oils and lye . So I made five batches of soap. All solid colors for simplicity. I used fragrances I'd never tried before. They ALL got really hot, and two have cracked which was a bit of a bummer but - I'm over it already. Also - I will never make so many batches in one day again. I now have a headache from smelling five different fragrances.:eek:

Decided to get rid of some pureed pumpkin that was taking up space in the freezer by making hot process pumpkin oatmeal soap. The puree was from pumpkins I grew a few years ago and because the puree was quite watery I used it as the liquid to mix with thy lye. I'll see what it looks like when I unmold and cut in the morning.

Do soaps with pumpkin puree, avocado puree, tomato and such last--as long as other soaps? Ive always wondered. I made cucumber puree soap and it was awful in about two months....so I am not a big adder of things like that out of fear.

Great, and I made a cucumber mint loaf on Thursday.

Did you do cold or hot process?
Dont go by my experience! I did cp--and I used 100% puree of Persian cukes as the liquid. It didnt turn out in the long run as I had hoped but I am not experienced in using purees in soap. It is done all the time and folks rave about it so it must have some wonderful benefits but I didnt have much luck with mine. I also didnt like the yogurt soap I made and that is another fave that folks use all the time. Im sure yours will be fine!!

A blistery winter day here, so I would dearly love to be home making soap (and stuff)..

My SIL texted me some pics of the snow in SD. BRRRRR. I hope you’re staying warm!

Do soaps with pumpkin puree, avocado puree, tomato and such last--as long as other soaps? Ive always wondered. I made cucumber puree soap and it was awful in about two months....so I am not a big adder of things like that out of fear.

I have also been wondering the same ever since I made my carrot and cucumber soaps. I was going to share what I came up with here, but it’s too long, so I put it in a thread, here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some pumpkin puree soaps hanging around that are at least 4 years old that are just fine although the fragrance has faded. The same goes for some Avocado soaps and some carrot soaps. I am sure I can find others but these are some I can think of at the moment. If the puree is actual puree and not chunky it will act just like water.

Mine hasn't held well at all.
My batch is about 10 weeks old so far, so might be a little young yet for me to determine longevity. I have found that the scent seems to have gotten stronger over the cure process so far. I am hopeful it remains for a few months. It isn't overwhelmingly strong, but very pleasant.

I have some pumpkin puree soaps hanging around that are at least 4 years old that are just fine although the fragrance has faded. The same goes for some Avocado soaps and some carrot soaps. I am sure I can find others but these are some I can think of at the moment. If the puree is actual puree and not chunky it will act just like water.
There is hope then, for us all!!! I had followed some recipes from "Cool Soapmaking" by Anne Watson and I didnt like what I had made..Im glad to hear that these are long lasting, the purees, or can be.

I wanted to make Oatmeal soap but it became herbal soap with Nettle and Horsetail ... and Rosemary, Lavender, Sage, Thyme and Cedarwood EOs. ohhhhhhh I am in love with that smell <3

Attachments

• DSCF0219.JPG
    DSCF0219.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 17
I just dunno what I want to do today. I have a lot of confetti to use up - thought about doing a coconut milk confetti soap with my new white tea fragrance. But then I made a bit of confetti out of the end pieces of my rainbow soap, and I think that would look pretty cool used sparingly in an all-white soap - maybe with my new blackcurrant tea FO? And then I have long wanted to do a soap with all MY favourite fragrances in together - patchouli, ylang ylang, bergamot, neroli, palmarosa.....
Oh, how to decide??

I just dunno what I want to do today. I have a lot of confetti to use up - thought about doing a coconut milk confetti soap with my new white tea fragrance. But then I made a bit of confetti out of the end pieces of my rainbow soap, and I think that would look pretty cool used sparingly in an all-white soap - maybe with my new blackcurrant tea FO? And then I have long wanted to do a soap with all MY favourite fragrances in together - patchouli, ylang ylang, bergamot, neroli, palmarosa.....
Oh, how to decide??
They all sound great. Can’t wait to see what you make!

I spent the day making two more soaps for the challenge. They take a LOT of time. Soy wax is up next!

I spent the morning looking at color wheels to decide the colors for my third attempt at this month's challenge. I made my third attempt for the challenge not sure I like the colors. Just shoot me now:beatinghead:

......and I made HP clementine.

Back