What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol! I wasn’t being snarky.... or was I? I don’t remember. It was more for the curious onlooker who might think terrible thoughts. No one here would think ... terrible ... thoughts... :rolleyes:

I’m surprised I got soap at that ratio too!

This is what happened with the 4:1 ratio
No, you weren't being "snarly", just that you said "Did I mention that I don't SELL". So I just wanted you to know that I feel that's your business, I'm not judging. Anyway, interesting experiment. I'd like to know how it hold's up. If you get DOS, that sort of thing.

I’m taking the “Extreme Vegan” soap plunge this weekend. The million dollar question is which oil type to use in the calculator, for what turns out to be partially hydrogenated soy, when the options are soybean oil and 100% hydrogenated. I *think* the answer is in Kiwimoose’s 16 page thread on using soy wax, but if anyone has experience using both options in combination to get a best estimate of the fatty acid profiles, please let me know.

6C2F4E98-4DA5-4294-80A4-3A5CAA2F0992.jpeg

No, you weren't being "snarly", just that you said "Did I mention that I don't SELL". So I just wanted you to know that I feel that's your business, I'm not judging. Anyway, interesting experiment. I'd like to know how it hold's up. If you get DOS, that sort of thing.

Whole would sell soap made from rancid oil? :):):)

Oh def.

I can tell you now that the spirulina will fade to a greenish brown, other than that... we will see!!!! I’m thinking a good twelve weeks before the first test.

I think this is such a beautiful, elegant looking bar.

I've got Baja Cactus Blossom in transit to me at the moment, and I'm really hoping it connects with me - I do love floral fragrances but anything that is too sweet gets on my nerves. I am not a fan of sweet, bakery type scents but my sister adores them so I make them so I kind of get where you're coming from when you don't really bond with a fragrance, but know that others will.

After work today I had planned to use up the last of my lye master batch and then pack up my soap supplies in preparatin for a move at the end of the month. :( I was hoping to get two or three small batches of soap made. But I'm too tired. My job is not physically draining - but mentally draining and it sucks my motivation to do anything productive after hours.
Now Storm Watch too, me, is a rather cloying floral. But all our smellers are different. I am not really sure how to describe the Baja Cactus Blossom now. It seems the floral has turned to more of a green and for awhile I could smell berry, but it is gone. It is a fragrance that I think is going to keep changing until it is fully cured. I will be interested to hear your thoughts about it.

I bought oils!

And was playing with soapcalc.
Tell me please how this looks, its all Chinese to me so far

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191009-231453_saponiCalc.jpg
    Screenshot_20191009-231453_saponiCalc.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20191009-231441_saponiCalc.jpg
    Screenshot_20191009-231441_saponiCalc.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
I bought oils!

And was playing with soapcalc.
Tell me please how this looks, its all Chinese to me so far

Ok there are ballpark figures for making ideal soap for each of those values. When making soap for the first time, adjust your recipe until everything is inside those numbers.

Your iodine content is high, which may end up in DOS, it’s possible that high iodine leads to DOS as one reason for them orange unsightlees.

The other is the overall INS score is high.

When I figured out what I was doing, the soap Calc became my good friend. What it recommends is sound advice. The soap calc knows all and is wise. Trust the soap calc ideal numbers for each field.

Made an AC soap with a white in the pot swirl but the white swirl just disappeared into the AC. Both were really light trace. Have made the soap perfectly before. Don't know where I went wrong. :( Any ideas?

Don't know where I went wrong. :( Any ideas?

Have you cut it yet? I expect both being at really light trace they mixed together. You might find some gray swirls.

I left the FT job half an hour early, so I managed to get the last of my labels printed for soap. I'll have more labeling to do tonight after I make some sugar scrubs. Ordered ink because my magenta cartridge is empty. Thought I had a box of colored ink, but turned out to be all black. Then I cleared off my work area so I can actually do stuff. I also got off early at the PT job, so I redid my shampoo bars with the press mold. They were a bit of pain to unmold - I suspect I was being impatient and the mixture was a touch too warm yet. I'm really happy with the shape and size, so hopefully these stay together. I took the coconut milk out of the freezer and put in the fridge to defrost, and set out everything I need to make soap tonight.

Have you cut it yet? I expect both being at really light trace they mixed together. You might find some gray swirls.

I left the FT job half an hour early, so I managed to get the last of my labels printed for soap. I'll have more labeling to do tonight after I make some sugar scrubs. Ordered ink because my magenta cartridge is empty. Thought I had a box of colored ink, but turned out to be all black. Then I cleared off my work area so I can actually do stuff. I also got off early at the PT job, so I redid my shampoo bars with the press mold. They were a bit of pain to unmold - I suspect I was being impatient and the mixture was a touch too warm yet. I'm really happy with the shape and size, so hopefully these stay together. I took the coconut milk out of the freezer and put in the fridge to defrost, and set out everything I need to make soap tonight.
It's in individual molds - so no cutting. Definitely no sign of a swirl. Might post a new post.

Made first batch of soap after 1 1/2yr break. It was like returning to an old addiction.... the first cigarette after quitting sort of feel :)

Happy to be an enabler. I mean, I will encourage you to make more. Because who doesn’t need more soap?!?! Right? Right? Right?

Like, sometimes, I feel like I’m dealing soap with my friends. Today, I texted two friends and was like...

Psst.

Hey.

Do you like soap?

I have three types you might like... what do you want?

I don’t give away super experimental soap. That’s just cray cray. Plus, someone might be allergic.

Also gives me an excuse to make more.

A blistery winter day here, so I would dearly love to be home making soap (and stuff).

Last night I made two of the four planned sugar scrubs. Total lack of planning as I only had enough sugar for two batches. Tonight will be picking up more sugar to finish the scrubs, labeling said scrubs, and then packing for tomorrow's show. Maybe I'll make soap tonight if I don't dink around too much making scrubs like I did last night. Crossing my fingers that tomorrow's show will do well enough that I don't have to do any more shows until next Spring/Summer. I'll be happy enough if I move old stock so I can make all the new soap ideas dancing through my head.

Latest posts

Back