What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very possible that I am either an idiot, or stubborn.

Possibly both.

I returned to the tin of 17 year old olive oil and I said, “you are my challenge this October.

“You. Yes, you, and your nasty sly Italian coy smirk, taunting me, defying me with your brashness. Your long fingers beckoned me as I reached for the brand new olive oil on my counter, and you drew me in with your cheapness. Oh and you are cheap. Filthy dirty cheap. And you smell weirdly intriguing. Much like the nasty arm pit of a lover, familiar and rank all at once. At once, I am both repelled and seduced by your stank. I hate you, and yet I can’t separate myself from you. Sitting on my shelf, I feel compelled to turn you into something of use, something that is beautiful and wonderful. Just mingling in the soft warm liquid glow with some scented oils.

“Oh, the first time around was exciting! But then, like a 17 car crash on an overcrowded highway, everything happened so fast and all at once. I thought this was to be a thing of beauty, but no, it became a prison sandwich. Grotesque and contorted. The image is burned into my brain and the aftermath still darkens my drying rack.”

Disheartened and forlorn, I retreated to my normal life, but the images continued to haunt me.

This evening, I entered the dwelling of the alluring tin and stated, “I have plotted my revenge. Sought out how to conquer you and tame the terrible beast that you are. I will douse your rage with an excess of love and grace, and temper your temper with patience!”

Oh, the wild animal tried to separate from my grasp many a time, but I persisted. After many a minutes, I thought that perhaps I had been overzealous with the amount of grace poured, but as I began to lose heart, things pulled together. The cold and wild beast became tame, and wielded to my cultured ways.

Will things gel between us, or will the river of tenderness flow out, never to return.

I shall give it time, perhaps a day, maybe two, to see what the future holds.

*short version*

I think I got the rancid olive oil to not seize and not weirdly separate. I may have a mini drop loaf!!! Dude. With rancid oil! 0% sf, oo at 80% and co at 17% and sw at 3%.

Like I said, I may either be an idiot or stubborn, possibly both.

Oh, the wild animal tried to separate from my grasp many a time, but I persisted.

#But Suds Persisted

After work today I had planned to use up the last of my lye master batch and then pack up my soap supplies in preparatin for a move at the end of the month. :( I was hoping to get two or three small batches of soap made. But I'm too tired. My job is not physically draining - but mentally draining and it sucks my motivation to do anything productive after hours.

I totally get this. My job is the same. I've had the past two days off from work and it feels like all I've gotten done in that time is sleep and try to recover from my work weekend. Then tonight it's back to the same again. At least I have the weekend off.

Today turned out to be a bust for me. What was supposed to be a pleasant day of errands/shopping with my mother just turned into one long slog. I did get to do some more research/recipe pondering during my 3 hour-long wait in the doctors office. I'm going to have some extra money next month and I've been debating if I should use it upgrade my scale or splurge a bit an try to mix things up and try some new things like milk soap or coffee butter. I also keep seeing people talking about salt bars and castile and I'm intrigued. Castile bars always seem to look so pretty to me, but I have no idea where I'd be able to store them to cure for a year.

Last night I did soap dishes and put soap in shrink bands - will hopefully have time to hit them all with the heat gun tonight before brew club. (After brew club probably won't happen, lol.)

I did a reboot on my yogurt. @Marilyn Norgart I went to WalMart and both grocery stores in town and nobody carries Fairlife milk (or any kind of ultra-filtered milk) so I won't be able to do the cold method :( I did some research on the brand of culture I used, and I guess it is common for the first batch to be really runny but you can still use it as a culture for the next batch, so now I just fill silly for dumping it all down the drain... but also, they're dumb for not including THAT bit of info in the pamphlet. So batch two I used a good plain yogurt and the culture. It's in the fridge straining as we speak. Even with the extra boil process, making yogurt in the IP is still way easier than the crockpot. I'm a fan.

Tonight I'm hoping to get my soap bars heatshrinked - I have 55 bars to do and 12 end slices (those I just wrap in plastic wrap and hit with the gun). I would like to get labels printed out, but that always takes way longer than it should, so that might not happen. I'll have to feed the family too. Maybe Wednesday night if I get off work early I can get soap done.

ETA: Oh! I almost forgot, my friend dropped off a shampoo bar mold for me this morning! She 3D printed it for me, and it's sooo pretty! So I have to find time to try the new Humble Bee and Me shampoo bar recipe this week too.
That’s so cool that you make your own yogurt! How did you get started in that? I ask because yogurt is one of my favorite foods!

I did one of these yesterday (2 counting my goof) is it the mango mango one? I don't know what I was expecting but I wound up squishing it with my hands and it was like play dough. (is that the right consistency?) I put it in a mold but am kinda wondering if I could have just shaped it freehand. not sure if I goofed up or not. I cant wait to try it--delivered my friends to her and she really liked the scent
I did one of these yesterday (2 counting my goof) is it the mango mango one? I don't know what I was expecting but I wound up squishing it with my hands and it was like play dough. (is that the right consistency?) I put it in a mold but am kinda wondering if I could have just shaped it freehand. not sure if I goofed up or not. I cant wait to try it--delivered my friends to her and she really liked the scent
I’ve made Marie’s Mango shampoo bar 3 times so far. I love it and so does my friend tester. I want to try the Rhassoul clay bar later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very possible that I am either an idiot, or stubborn.

Possibly both.

I returned to the tin of 17 year old olive oil and I said, “you are my challenge this October.

“You. Yes, you, and your nasty sly Italian coy smirk, taunting me, defying me with your brashness. Your long fingers beckoned me as I reached for the brand new olive oil on my counter, and you drew me in with your cheapness. Oh and you are cheap. Filthy dirty cheap. And you smell weirdly intriguing. Much like the nasty arm pit of a lover, familiar and rank all at once. At once, I am both repelled and seduced by your stank. I hate you, and yet I can’t separate myself from you. Sitting on my shelf, I feel compelled to turn you into something of use, something that is beautiful and wonderful. Just mingling in the soft warm liquid glow with some scented oils.

“Oh, the first time around was exciting! But then, like a 17 car crash on an overcrowded highway, everything happened so fast and all at once. I thought this was to be a thing of beauty, but no, it became a prison sandwich. Grotesque and contorted. The image is burned into my brain and the aftermath still darkens my drying rack.”

Disheartened and forlorn, I retreated to my normal life, but the images continued to haunt me.

This evening, I entered the dwelling of the alluring tin and stated, “I have plotted my revenge. Sought out how to conquer you and tame the terrible beast that you are. I will douse your rage with an excess of love and grace, and temper your temper with patience!”

Oh, the wild animal tried to separate from my grasp many a time, but I persisted. After many a minutes, I thought that perhaps I had been overzealous with the amount of grace poured, but as I began to lose heart, things pulled together. The cold and wild beast became tame, and wielded to my cultured ways.

Will things gel between us, or will the river of tenderness flow out, never to return.

I shall give it time, perhaps a day, maybe two, to see what the future holds.

*short version*

I think I got the rancid olive oil to not seize and not weirdly separate. I may have a mini drop loaf!!! Dude. With rancid oil! 0% sf, oo at 80% and co at 17% and sw at 3%.

Like I said, I may either be an idiot or stubborn, possibly both.
OH..MY...GOSH! Your story drew me in like you wouldn't believe!
It actually surprised me how I couldn't put it down! Like my favorite book!!
VERY intriguing and enjoyable writing on your part...BRAVO!:winner:

If it was rancid, I would have gone with a negative superfat - It's getting a good long cure anyways. I did a soap for my son using bacon grease (his request strange child that he is) and even though I cleaned it, I was concerned about rancidity, so I intentionally made it with -20% superfat. That's not a typo, Negative Twenty Percent. I left it on for a very long cure, I think 6-8 months, periodically checking the tongue zap. It did eventually stop zapping, and then I left it for another month just to be safe. (I did use half a bar personally before I gave the rest to my son. I might be the meanest mom on the block but I'm not THAT mean.) It was wonderful soap. For your OO soap I probably wouldn't have gone as extreme as -20, but maybe -5% just to cover the averages in the soap calcs and really make sure there was no oil left in that beast. Not the usual advice given to new soapmakers, but I think it's worth mentioning for this type of project. Wonderful writing, I think you nailed the armpit of a lover perfectly, it made my morning.

That’s so cool that you make your own yogurt! How did you get started in that?
Kind of an odd story, but ties into All Things Soap. My kids and I all had skin issues (dry skin and severe cystic acne for me, eczema for the kiddos) so the first thing I looked at was our diet. I took out a lot of the processed foods out of our diet (I still can't get my kids to stop eating poptarts though!) and started making anything that I could find. Yogurt was a staple in our diet, so I went about figuring out how to make that. About five (?? maybe longer) years ago I removed most dairy products from our diet so that was when I stopped making yogurt. I probably could have figured out how to make coconut milk or almond milk yogurt, but at that time I was busy going down the soap rabbit hole, so I didn't. Anyways, in March or so I made a lovely yogurt and honey soap that customers are coming back wanting more of, so I thought I would get back into yogurt making to get the most "handmade" bang for the buck.

Soapy things accomplished yesterday:
Finished shrink wrapping soap.
Printed off the labels for the new soaps, but still need to print off labels for some soaps that I'm relabeling.
Burned my arm on the heat gun.
Put one label on a soap bar so that I could give it to one of the guys at brew club. He loves my Nag Champa soap and I had an overpour that I put into a cavity mold so I thought he would enjoy a free soap. Turned out to be a good move on my part as he passed it around to everyone and I got 4 orders for the Nag Champa and/or other soaps. Also it just tickled me silly that he kept picking up the bar during the night to smell it, and watching his eyes would roll back in his head in ecstasy. I'm easily amused after a few beers.

Today I'm hoping I can leave work early again so that I have time to label soaps and put them away before I go to my other job. Also hoping I get off work early there too so I can come home and mess with my shampoo bar mold.

I would have gone with a negative superfat

That exact thought went through my head as I was cleaning up last night.

Plus, my previous Castile bars were about -20% sf and are lovely.

Eh, I didn’t buy the oil, it was free and it’s not a large loaf. If nothing else, I can grate it up and toss it into the laundry.

Let’s add impatient to my list of traits.

The aforementioned soap

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Glycerin rivers, holes from air being over mixed, But I only poured off less than an ounce of liquid.

It cut like velveeta

Edit:

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to show this 'thing,' but from where we started earlier in the week, I think this is a "win" for rancid OO. It's not a pretty win, but it's a far cry from earlier.

The soap that seized was at a 4:1 water to lye ratio. This is much much much more water. I expect them to shrink like those bloated dinosaurs that grow when you soak them in water, and then shrink when you leave them out, and then grow mold on them, and then they never really look as impressive the second time around soaking up water and smell really gross. Yeah, I expect that from this soap.

**Edit:

~Cue edgy and slightly sleazy dance hall music~

Darling boys and girls, you'll love the pear-fect scent of this soap! It's bubbly, refreshing and will have you forgetting what a mimosa is! It's Champagne Pear from Nature's Garden.
This effervescent scented soap features a combination of natural pigments, flashy micas and dyes.
Call a cab, because Taxi Yellow from Mad Micas gives the lower portion a lift.
Cloudy skies won't dampen the burn of activated charcoal in a smoky grey background color.
Spin this, you health freaks! As Spirulina grabs all the attention with those dots of green!
And you'll be singing Sia all night long as water soluble Titanium Dioxide floats amongst the clouds!

Last edited:
Let’s add impatient to my list of traits.

The aforementioned soap

View attachment 41990

View attachment 41991

View attachment 41992

Glycerin rivers, holes from air being over mixed, But I only poured off less than an ounce of liquid.

It cut like velveeta

Edit:

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to show this 'thing,' but from where we started earlier in the week, I think this is a "win" for rancid OO. It's not a pretty win, but it's a far cry from earlier.

The soap that seized was at a 4:1 water to lye ratio. This is much much much more water. I expect them to shrink like those bloated dinosaurs that grow when you soak them in water, and then shrink when you leave them out, and then grow mold on them, and then they never really look as impressive the second time around soaking up water and smell really gross. Yeah, I expect that from this soap.

**Edit:

~Cue edgy and slightly sleazy dance hall music~

Darling boys and girls, you'll love the pear-fect scent of this soap! It's bubbly, refreshing and will have you forgetting what a mimosa is! It's Champagne Pear from Nature's Garden.
This effervescent scented soap features a combination of natural pigments, flashy micas and dyes.
Call a cab, because Taxi Yellow from Mad Micas gives the lower portion a lift.
Cloudy skies won't dampen the burn of activated charcoal in a smoky grey background color.
Spin this, you health freaks! As Spirulina grabs all the attention with those dots of green!
And you'll be singing Sia all night long as water soluble Titanium Dioxide floats amongst the clouds!
That’s a huge amount of water. Why did you add so much?

That’s a huge amount of water. Why did you add so much?

I had soap on a stick* with the 4:1 ratio. I assume it's from the 17 year old garage olive oil misbehaving. I had a really difficult time getting it to emulsify at 9:1 ratio. I think I stick blended until it reached trace, there was no true emulsifying happening. Even at 9:1 I was initially scared I wasn't going to be able to do any sort of coloring or design because the lye mixture went white upon pouring it into the oils, and I was like, ooooo boy, here we go again, but it worked, sort of. At least I got a design.

Edit:

Did I mention I do NOT sell my soap??

*Soap on my stirring stick, I didn't even stick blend it. Never got a chance to.

Last edited:
I had soap on a stick* with the 4:1 ratio. I assume it's from the 17 year old garage olive oil misbehaving. I had a really difficult time getting it to emulsify at 9:1 ratio. I think I stick blended until it reached trace, there was no true emulsifying happening. Even at 9:1 I was initially scared I wasn't going to be able to do any sort of coloring or design because the lye mixture went white upon pouring it into the oils, and I was like, ooooo boy, here we go again, but it worked, sort of. At least I got a design.

Edit:

Did I mention I do NOT sell my soap??

*Soap on my stirring stick, I didn't even stick blend it. Never got a chance to.
I wasn’t questioning your selling status, lol. Your business. I was just questioning the high water amount. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I soap at a 2:1 ratio. I’m amazed you even got a bar with a 9:1 ratio, I would expect liquid soap with that ratio.

I wasn’t questioning your selling status, lol. Your business. I was just questioning the high water amount. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I soap at a 2:1 ratio. I’m amazed you even got a bar with a 9:1 ratio, I would expect liquid soap with that ratio.
Lol! I wasn’t being snarky.... or was I? I don’t remember. It was more for the curious onlooker who might think terrible thoughts. No one here would think ... terrible ... thoughts... :rolleyes:

I’m surprised I got soap at that ratio too!

This is what happened with the 4:1 ratio

Plenty of free time... check.
Lots of slow moving oils... check.
Premix my colors... check.
Purchased squeeze bottles... check.
Accurately measure my soap mold... check.
Scent that won’t speed trace... check.
Measure everything beforehand... check.
Double check colors... check.

I seriously tried to do the October challenge today....

Ok. I may have made a misstep. See, I decided to do olive oil, not pomace, at 50% total oils. Hade some canola 8%, grape seed 10%, and a teeny bit of castor 2%, and then some coconut 20% and palm oil at 10%.

As I was measuring out my oils, I’m like, I’m just going to use this 17 year old extra virgin olive oil that a friend gave me. Well, I salvaged it from her garage. Surely, it’s the same as new olive oil...

I have both my oils and lye solution at room temp. I pour in my lye solution and it begins to rapidly come to trace. As in almost immediately, no SB. I’m like, meh, I have time to mix my colors and do a gloppy pour. Nope. It seized and solidified upon putting it into the color pots. So I grab my silicon rose molds and think, I’ll just cram it into each flower and then rebatch later. While messing with the one, the other two become soap on a stick.

I can’t leave it in my plastic pitchers, not hdpe, and so I grab a knife and slide it around the edges of the pitchers and it frees the soap block. I dump the soap block onto the mold and cut into it. It’s like a molten lava cake made of soap and spills everywhere.

Then I scrape out the side of the main pot on the top. I’m soaped out today.

I’m like, I have totally “nailed” the micro drop challenge for this month.

View my beautiful soap
View attachment 41928
View attachment 41929
View attachment 41930

Update:

Grab your adventure caps kids!!! There are glycerin rivers ahead!!!

Last edited:
Back