What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the first day in a long time that I don’t feel like making soap. I worked up a design to try for the October Challenge, but I think I want to see how the little test batch I made yesterday turns out before I move forward. Plus, yesterday I made a big mess when I spilled oils, my soaping microwave died and then when I finally decided to wind down, the Apple TV box died, too. :(

Today is the first day in a long time that I don’t feel like making soap. I worked up a design to try for the October Challenge, but I think I want to see how the little test batch I made yesterday turns out before I move forward. Plus, yesterday I made a big mess when I spilled oils, my soaping microwave died and then when I finally decided to wind down, the Apple TV box died, too. :(
:( Such a bummer of a day - I'm sorry so much went wrong all at once. Hopefully, things will be better after a day off. Hang in there!

:( So sorry to hear that. Hopefully you can find an inexpensive (maybe used one) and be back on track quickly.

Hi @KiwiMoose, are soy wax and soya wax the same thing? Is the product in the link what you use?
https://newdirectionsuk.com/collections/waxes/products/soya-wax-cosmetic-waxes

Soy and Soya are the same thing and you can see they use both terms on the back of the packaging. If you can't find the wax that KiwiMoose uses (i'm sure she'll be along soon) then the European version is Nature Wax C3 which you may have more luck sourcing. It's still usually described as wax for candles but has been certified for cosmetic use too:thumbs:

Hm, Well I don't buy wax from this particular site (It's in Europe, and I live in the US), but it pretty specifically says it's for candles - even describes the procedure for melting for candles. But if you say it's also for soap, then give it a try.

Hm, Well I don't buy wax from this particular site (It's in Europe, and I live in the US), but it pretty specifically says it's for candles - even describes the procedure for melting for candles. But if you say it's also for soap, then give it a try.

Just as an FYI if anyone is interested, there is a discussion regarding using soy wax in HP and that it's difficult, understandably, in CP soap use. 20% is the amount (I believe) someone stated they use. Here's the thread (that is if I'm able to do this correctly):https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soy-wax-soap.69769/

question: how does the egg help the soap?

another question: does the soap need to be used up before it goes bad? Life expectancy of the soap?

Another question: wouldn't the heat from the saponification 'cook' the egg?

I'm so curious.....

:computerbath:

I haven't made any soap with egg yolks yet, it's on my long to-do list. For cold process with the inclusion of egg yolk I've read that one needs to temper the egg but adding a little of the batter once it's reached (can't remember which) either emulsion or light trace. Once the small amount of batter is blended into the egg then that mix is added and blended into the main bowl of soap batter. I'm not sure how it'd be done for HP. CORRECTION: @GML stated that the egg is tempered with warm oil AND THAT IS CORRECT. I was over a year ago when I looked into eggs in CP soap; sorry....I stand corrected ;). GML mentions a Youtube video, maybe she'll post a link. I looked but just found this one from Shalebrook Handcrafted Soap: This one, however, she prepared her tempered egg yolks with her warm oil.

Shelf life, hmmmmm. I suppose that'd depend upon many factors: the amount of SF, % of soft oils, how high is the % of Linolenic fatty acid is in the recipe, etc. I think you're asking if the egg would cut down on the shelflife, yes?? Maybe someone with more 'scientific knowledge' will correct my error if I'm wrong but, I'd "assume" that the egg would be like using fruit juice or pureed pumpkin in your soap--it becomes part of your soap and won't spoil like juice or pumpkin puree would if it was left on a countertop.

Also, if I remember correctly from back when I was looking into how to incorporate egg yolk into my soap, the purpose is to create rich, thick lather.....much like dairy products do in soap.

Edited my 'SP' that should have been SF

Last edited:

Sorry to cause a misunderstanding...I was giving SoapSisters another option for soy wax that may be more readily available to her in Israel and that is definitely OK to use for soap. I wasn't referring to the one she linked to.

As I promised earlier. My beer/honey/egg yolk soaps. First, second and on the left on the third is the CP soap, on the right on the third pic is the HP soap. I have to admit that this was challenge for me and I won't stop here. In CP the batter accelerates too fast especially with dark beer. Now I have better plan for the CP soap :) The HP soap is different story. I am still wondering should I add the egg yolk at the end at the beginning. Also when there is honey it is impossible to cook it without having volcano. I plan this recipe as shampoo bar but I think I have to work on it more. Do you have any experience at HP beer/honey/yolk soap?

I WANT TO TAKE A BIG BITE OUT OF THE TOP of the one that looks like whip topping!!!!!!! Just as @Dawni, I simmered my beer to remove alcohol and carbonation. With my CP I only used Guinness Stout Beer, no egg or honey. I froze my beer in ice cube trays after it cooled. I made it over two years ago so a bit fuzzy if I had any issues but I don't remember any.

With my HP shampoo bars, I used the same stout beer and raw honey. Since I (with this one also) used beer for 100% of the required water it was all used to dissolve my lye. This one was also made about 1.5 years ago or so but no issues with the HP. No volcanoes but I did just as Dawni, I added my raw honey mixed into very warm water at the end of the cook.

Please update on how the lather is once cured; I'm very interested in how the egg improves the lather vs those not containing any. I know I like GM and BM soap for what they bring to the lathering table, I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing updates--cut bars.

I haven't made any soap with egg yolks yet, it's on my long to-do list. For cold process with the inclusion of egg yolk I've read that one needs to temper the egg but adding a little of the batter once it's reached (can't remember which) either emulsion or light trace. Once the small amount of batter is blended into the egg then that mix is added and blended into the main bowl of soap batter. I'm not sure how it'd be done for HP.

Shelf life, hmmmmm. I suppose that'd depend upon many factors: the amount of SF, % of soft oils, how high is the % of Linolenic fatty acid is in the recipe, etc. I think you're asking if the egg would cut down on the shelflife, yes?? Maybe someone with more 'scientific knowledge' will correct my error if I'm wrong but, I'd "assume" that the egg would be like using fruit juice or pureed pumpkin in your soap--it becomes part of your soap and won't spoil like juice or pumpkin puree would if it was left on a countertop.

Also, if I remember correctly from back when I was looking into how to incorporate egg yolk into my soap, the purpose is to create rich, thick lather.....much like dairy products do in soap.

Edited my 'SP' that should have been SF
Hm, I agree, although I haven't soaped with an egg yet - I have used various purees, both fresh and canned (baby food puree) and my soaps have not spoiled or gotten DOS and some of them are a few years old. So I think the lye takes care of that, lol.

I made the same soap as @Baqn today, but alas - the hole in my spray bottle was too small for the mica, so i had to sprinkle it one which doesn't look anywhere near as good.
My final choice of essential oils was as follows ( in descending order): Patchouli, cedarwood, bergamot, palmarosa, litsea cubeba, vetiver.
View attachment 41921 View attachment 41922
It went great. I am curious to see the cutted soap. I had problems with spraying it too but I found a heroic sprayer that served me well :)
Now I made coffee scrub soap. I scented it with COFFEE FO which almost instantly freezed my batter. It was true disaster. Anyway I managed to put in the mold. Lets see what will go out.

I haven't made any soap with egg yolks yet, it's on my long to-do list. For cold process with the inclusion of egg yolk I've read that one needs to temper the egg but adding a little of the batter once it's reached (can't remember which) either emulsion or light trace. Once the small amount of batter is blended into the egg then that mix is added and blended into the main bowl of soap batter. I'm not sure how it'd be done for HP.

Yesterday, I watched youtube HP video from Shalebrook Handcrafted Soap and the egg is tempered with 1 cup of the hot oil (a stick blender was used to emulsify the egg and oil), after it was then combined with the rest of the oils before the lye liquid was added.

Hm, I agree, although I haven't soaped with an egg yet - I have used various purees, both fresh and canned (baby food puree) and my soaps have not spoiled or gotten DOS and some of them are a few years old. So I think the lye takes care of that, lol.

Thanks for chiming in linne1gi!

Me too, some of mine with purees are 3 years old and still as good (just harder bars) than they were when they were infants. I've made a facial bar with tomato paste for myself, lol, and it had a little activated charcoal for color. Yes, the lye makes real soap more alkaline than fake, commercial 'soap.' I think the pH level isn't prone to breading bacteria......same reason why we don't need a preservative in our soap. I realize some use ROE, but that's to help prevent rancidity.

I really need to make some with eggs!! I have too long of a list.

Yesterday, I watched youtube HP video from Shalebrook Handcrafted Soap and the egg is tempered with 1 cup of the hot oil (a stick blender was used to emulsify the egg and oil), after it was then combined with the rest of the oils before the lye liquid was added.

You ARE correct! I'll edit my comment. It's been quite some time ago that I did research on it and got that step wrong. Thanks for the correction ;) I should have Googled it beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought she was adding mayo to the soap base...lol
Nope, egg yolks. Did you see someone adding mayo?? You got my curiosity up. Hey do ya have a link for that video with tempering egg yolks. I only found one of hers and it was shampoo bars and she had tempered her eggs b/4 turning her camera on.

If you want some written instructions for tempering egg yolks as well as watching videos, here's one from the Soap Queen site: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/eggnog-cold-process-soap-diy/ The soap has 3 egg yolks added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use soy to 'replace' other high stearic/palmitic oils in my recipe (being that I'm going for vegan and palm-free). I use it at 20% in every recipe. I urge you to give it a go, as it is very cost-effective. However, I am aware that there seems to be an anti-soy movement in the USA which could work against you. Over here we have the opposite - people are far more anti-palm. Happy to help out with recipe discussions - feel free to PM me.

I also have started using soy wax. And I love it. I’ve been using it around 10%. In your opinion does 20% make the soap feel waxy. I also do NaOH and KOH at 95/5% to help increase lather as my palmitic +Stearic numbers are close to 30-35. I’m considering going higher on the soy wax and wondered what your lather is like and how your skin feels after the shower.

Nope, egg yolks. Did you see someone adding mayo?? You got my curiosity up. Hey do ya have a link for that video with tempering egg yolks. I only found one of hers and it was shampoo bars and she had tempered her eggs b/4 turning her camera on.

Here you go. The egg emulsification starts around the 6 minute mark (since mayo is egg and oil emulsified that's why I thought she was adding mayo to the base oil).

Oh and the soapy thing I did today was to discover that putting oat flour in water that is going to mixed with lye is never a good idea.

Here you go. The egg emulsification starts around the 6 minute mark (since mayo is egg and oil emulsified that's why I thought she was adding mayo to the base oil).

Oh and the soapy thing I did today was to discover that putting oat flour in water that is going to mixed with lye is never a good idea.

I thought it was CP so I didn't check the HP videos; thanks for the link and timestamp. Yes, I see how you made that connection--eggs and emulsified oils is how mayo is made.

Plenty of free time... check.
Lots of slow moving oils... check.
Premix my colors... check.
Purchased squeeze bottles... check.
Accurately measure my soap mold... check.
Scent that won’t speed trace... check.
Measure everything beforehand... check.
Double check colors... check.

I seriously tried to do the October challenge today....

Ok. I may have made a misstep. See, I decided to do olive oil, not pomace, at 50% total oils. Hade some canola 8%, grape seed 10%, and a teeny bit of castor 2%, and then some coconut 20% and palm oil at 10%.

As I was measuring out my oils, I’m like, I’m just going to use this 17 year old extra virgin olive oil that a friend gave me. Well, I salvaged it from her garage. Surely, it’s the same as new olive oil...

I have both my oils and lye solution at room temp. I pour in my lye solution and it begins to rapidly come to trace. As in almost immediately, no SB. I’m like, meh, I have time to mix my colors and do a gloppy pour. Nope. It seized and solidified upon putting it into the color pots. So I grab my silicon rose molds and think, I’ll just cram it into each flower and then rebatch later. While messing with the one, the other two become soap on a stick.

I can’t leave it in my plastic pitchers, not hdpe, and so I grab a knife and slide it around the edges of the pitchers and it frees the soap block. I dump the soap block onto the mold and cut into it. It’s like a molten lava cake made of soap and spills everywhere.

Then I scrape out the side of the main pot on the top. I’m soaped out today.

I’m like, I have totally “nailed” the micro drop challenge for this month.

View my beautiful soap
C489785A-B254-4B9B-AE0E-42F74CDAF850.jpeg

26B4660E-941D-4BFD-AE9C-7FE68BAB3201.jpeg

EDAEE4F3-BFFE-4593-B5F7-670546D711CF.jpeg

Update:

Grab your adventure caps kids!!! There are glycerin rivers ahead!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back