What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made soap last night when I should have been labeling for my show tomorrow, or sleeping... I wanted to get an attempt made for the mini drop swirl challenge. I think it failed, but will see tonight. I used BCN's Hemlock Forest which soaped nicely (my recipe really is a problem child for these intricate type designs). It was still a bit soft this morning, so I will cut it tonight.

I also washed my aprons and soap cleanup rags. Messed with my camera setup for videos. The angle that I like I have to put the tripod on the table, but then it shakes every time I bump the table. I thought about moving the table away from the wall, but I will be replacing the table with countertop in February so that doesn't really get me anywhere. Maybe hubby can rig up something that goes into the wall. Bah, I'm rambling sorry.

I have a busy weekend, so not sure what will get done:
Loading up for show.
Show
Oktoberfest with friends
Work
so maybe on Sunday afternoon I will have some time to make more soap, do video editing, take photographs, work on my website, do bookwork... fun times. ETA: and work on a few test recipes for body wash, facial mask/cleanser, and shampoo bars.

What recipe did you choose....if you don't mind me asking.

her mango-mango one--but I am going to use apricot freesia for the scent instead and am changing a few other things up---I went thru her dictionary (which was really really helpful) to find the substitutes. it is such a cool site. now I am trying to be patient with the new supplier--2 days and they haven't done anything with the order but it still isn't bad

I watched a video of Tree Marie Soapworks. It was so beautiful that I intended to make it also. I am afraid to cut it.

Scented with Tea tree, Rosemary, Rosewood and Lavender.

Attachments

• viber_изображение_2019-10-04_20-42-43.jpg
    viber_изображение_2019-10-04_20-42-43.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 29
I needed to finish labeling soaps and candles for a show I'm vending at tomorrow, then I brought everything I'm taking up, did a quick (4 hour) inventory, set aside to be loaded up tonight, and made sure I have all my displays, accessories, etc. etc., to make sure I'm ready to go at 6:30 tomorrow in the AM.
Now I'm making bread which is not a very "soapy thing" to do, but eh, the weather is finally turning here and fresh baked bread sounded good.

Today I master batched oils. I measured out a ginormous batch, melted and blended everything together and measured out into batch weights in sealable containers that are large enough to mix the recipe in later. Yay!

I'm ready to commit to a base recipe because I have finally found "The One." I have tweaked several recipes for the last year and a half, and I have finally found the one I love. It is not friendly to intricate designs, but it makes a fabulous bar of soap that I love. It feels so good to not feel the need to tweak it anymore. To know how much, and which oils to keep in stock is going to be wonderful. I have found that with this recipe the only things I change are the additives, and the liquid that I use for the lye solution. I've tested several different ones with this base recipe and they are all fabulous.

I am still tweaking a second recipe for swirling and designs. I think I'm close, but may still have some adjustments. I'll be testing that later this evening. Pretty good soapy day. :)

I watched a video of Tree Marie Soapworks. It was so beautiful that I intended to make it also. I am afraid to cut it.

Scented with Tea tree, Rosemary, Rosewood and Lavender.
Oooh - that's exactly the one I'm intending to make this weekend :)

Tell me - how much charcoal did you use, and did you blend it in to the batter directly as a powder, or did you mix with oil first?

I made a GM and did a water discount and thru it in the freezer for around 7 hours. just took it out and am patiently (?) letting it sit on the counter to dry some. I mixed up eucalyptus, peppermint and spearmint (almost equal part but a little less eucalyptus) it smells amazing :) now just keeping my fingers crossed that it didn't partial gel.
also made a yin/yang in gold and bronze with the scent Empress--I have made the scent before and it is very pretty
my house smells good

Oooh - that's exactly the one I'm intending to make this weekend :)

Tell me - how much charcoal did you use, and did you blend it in to the batter directly as a powder, or did you mix with oil first?
Hallo :)

I used 4,5 g of charcoal in 1 kg of oils. I blended it into the oils mixture directly as powder. After that I added the lye solution.

AAAnd voila finally no soda ash, nice lines, fine cut. I am pleased :) I am happy that there is a place where I can share my soapy moments :)

I love the thorns and roses!!! I believe that's what the design is called, saw it on Youtube and had to give it a try. At the same time I was looking into Soleseife (German Brine Soap/pronounced: zo-luh-sigh-fuh) so both the design and the type of soap were a first for me. Yours are so lovely!!! @Baqn, I'm curious as to what scent you used??
1.JPG

Well I cutted it :) :cool:
Oh my goodness, that is cool looking!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I master batched oils. I measured out a ginormous batch, melted and blended everything together and measured out into batch weights in sealable containers that are large enough to mix the recipe in later. Yay!

I'm ready to commit to a base recipe because I have finally found "The One." I have tweaked several recipes for the last year and a half, and I have finally found the one I love. It is not friendly to intricate designs, but it makes a fabulous bar of soap that I love. It feels so good to not feel the need to tweak it anymore. To know how much, and which oils to keep in stock is going to be wonderful. I have found that with this recipe the only things I change are the additives, and the liquid that I use for the lye solution. I've tested several different ones with this base recipe and they are all fabulous.

I am still tweaking a second recipe for swirling and designs. I think I'm close, but may still have some adjustments. I'll be testing that later this evening. Pretty good soapy day. :)

:hippo: Now you will have more time to make soap! :hippo:

I am truly envious. I have concocted a ridiculous number of recipes and still haven’t settled on favorites. Either I’m not very discerning, or I just like soap.

Cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo :)

I used 4,5 g of charcoal in 1 kg of oils. I blended it into the oils mixture directly as powder. After that I added the lye solution.
Thank you - I usually eyeball it - about half to one teaspoon for a litre of oils batch ( that's for swirling so it's really only 'half' a batch that's coloured. So you actually weigh it?

"....I'm ready to commit to a base recipe because I have finally found "The One." ..... I am still tweaking a second recipe for swirling and designs. I think I'm close.... Pretty good soapy day. :)

@runnerchicki, I'm so happy for you! That's got to be a terrific feeling!

"... I am truly envious. I have concocted a ridiculous number of recipes and still haven’t settled on favorites. Either I’m not very discerning, or I just like soap.

I second all that you said. I like too many also so it's difficult to choose. I know when I settle upon two as @runnerchicki erchic has done it'll simplify things.

That's how I feel about my recipe too! It scares me a bit making tweaks for technique challenges.
I can do simple swirls and such with my favorite. But for anything that requires a little time, and a more fluid batter I'm just going to work with my #2 recipe. It's pretty darn good too, but still has room for improvement.
Gorgeous!!
:hippo: Now you will have more time to make soap! :hippo:

I am truly envious. I have concocted a ridiculous number of recipes and still haven’t settled on favorites. Either I’m not very discerning, or I just like soap.
I am very excited about finally having a "go-to" recipe. It took forever to get there. Tweak ... wait for the cure. Tweak again ... wait some more. LOL - a poet I am not.
@runnerchicki, I'm so happy for you! That's got to be a terrific feeling!

I second all that you said. I like too many also so it's difficult to choose. I know when I settle upon two as @runnerchicki erchic has done it'll simplify things.

The thing that helped me make the most progress was letting my cleansing number get a nudge higher than I'd previously settled on. It's still low-cleansing, but I found the smidge extra of CO gave me better lather, and I still have a gentle bar that my skin likes. My family and friends love it too. Now I can just change up my additives and liquid. I still have to perfect my swirling recipe. Have to have a project. :)

Latest posts

Back