What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yesterday I ordered 22 FO samples. Darn you sales! lol

And then I ordered 45 lbs of KOH.

My husband swears I'm on some kind of FBI monitoring list.

But I need it. Yes, I *need* it.

I'm not even selling soap.

I have a problem.

Is there a 12 step group?

You sound like me! I have no real interest in selling soap, but I want to make all kinds of soap, which means I "need" supplies in bulk. Every couple of weeks, I am ordering things my husband doesn't think are necessary because he feels like we have enough soap to last years already. And that is just the stuff he sees. If he finds the soap I have hiding in drawers he is really going to think I have lost my mind. Every order I make, I swear to him that this is the last one I will need for a year, but I never last a month before I am jonesing for another order. Currently I have a virtual cart filled with all kinds of goodies and am trying to decide if I want to show it to the hubby first, or just order it. You know the saying, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

I had to line them up in the mold

I did that exact same thing for valentines day--it wasn't a total disaster but I wont try it again. the hearts didn't want to stay where I wanted them to (I used a cookie cutter) and when I did the cut it didn't come out neat on some of them--they kind of separated from each other. I think I want to try some soap dough embeds

You know the saying, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
Smack Laugh.gif
Love it!!!

I got all my supplies gathered to make a 2 pound batch in my kitchen, then my 5 year old rocket vomits into my trash. After a LOT of barfing and a shower, to for him needless to say the soaping muse had left me. He's fine btw, no more after the initial one, but i am keeping him home from school today.
I’ve had the same situation happen to me just last week! Having 3 young boys back to school with all the new germs makes it hard for us to get soaping done when we want to! Poor little ones tho. It’s never fun to be sick.

I delivered 5 bars. Does that count? It is a pretty big deal, since
1) this lady begs me for my shampoo bar and
2) I've been trying to get it to her for over a week but things keep getting in the way. Parent conferences at work, ice storms, sick hubby, etc.
I’m looking for a good shampoo bar recipe to use here at home for my family. Is yours a secret recipe? If not, would you share?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking for a good shampoo bar recipe to use here at home for my family. Is yours a secret recipe? If not, would you share?
I don't think Ruthie will answer. She was last seen here in 2017.

If you look up shampoo in the search bar, you'll find plenty of discussions around the subject as well as an equal number of opinions, depending on what you're looking for.

You sound like me! I have no real interest in selling soap, but I want to make all kinds of soap, which means I "need" supplies in bulk. Every couple of weeks, I am ordering things my husband doesn't think are necessary because he feels like we have enough soap to last years already. And that is just the stuff he sees. If he finds the soap I have hiding in drawers he is really going to think I have lost my mind. Every order I make, I swear to him that this is the last one I will need for a year, but I never last a month before I am jonesing for another order. Currently I have a virtual cart filled with all kinds of goodies and am trying to decide if I want to show it to the hubby first, or just order it. You know the saying, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
:lol:

I seem like I am always getting deliveries. It's always most exciting when hubby is at work and can't see them all.
I'm sure he is suspicious though when there is a new loaf every couple days sitting on the counter waiting to be cut.

Ok guys...been empty nesters for exactly 1 week now. Doing ok...can't believe how quiet it is here.
So anyway...getting ready to bevel 1 batch, cut another and want to make another. BUT I am working on cleaning my NEW SOAP ROOM! Yay! Room in the shop that was our son's workout room. Now being converted into a soapy room!!!
Hubby has alot of work to do on it but I am cleaning it now and getting ready to move my stuff in and work on temporary stuff until he gets everything built.
:)

Oops...forgot a couple pictures.
15678880423171921468628689979292.jpg

Feeling quite successful already today. Went home for lunch today. I managed to eat, clean the soap lab, weigh out my remaining MB and adjust two recipes. Hopefully I will be making two soaps tonight.
You must be a whirlwind at lunchtime, live close to your other job, or have a long lunch or all 3. I don't know how you manage to get so much done on your lunch break. It never ceases to amaze!

I managed to take a photo of the rustic chocolate stout soap I made for my son. Was adding ground oats to the soap a bad idea? I hope they hold up without going moldy!

View attachment 41368

A couple days ago, I tested the my son's oatmeal soap (made for him at his request) and boy oh boy is that some scratchy soap! I thought I ground those oats up real fine, but the way it feels, it sure doesn't feel finely ground. The soap is about 2 months old now I think. Other than the scratchiness, I think the soap is fine, but I sure hope he doesn't mind how scratchy they are.

You must be a whirlwind at lunchtime, live close to your other job, or have a long lunch or all 3. I don't know how you manage to get so much done on your lunch break. It never ceases to amaze!

A couple days ago, I tested the my son's oatmeal soap (made for him at his request) and boy oh boy is that some scratchy soap! I thought I ground those oats up real fine, but the way it feels, it sure doesn't feel finely ground. The soap is about 2 months old now I think. Other than the scratchiness, I think the soap is fine, but I sure hope he doesn't mind how scratchy they are.
I wouldn’t rub the soap directly on sensitive body parts :shakinghead:, but the little piece I tested seems fine. I also just started testing soap that includes some ground tea that I thought might be rough. The plus is that it’s easier to hold/less slippery in the shower. It feels more textured than scratchy.

had market today--what I thought was going to be a good one turned into my first skunk :( plus it was 59 degrees the whole time--I finally packed up and left when it started raining. I did have one lady walk up and tell me the soap she bought from me a couple weeks ago turned her washcloth black and she will be bringing it back for a different bar. I got all the soaps out to dry off when I got home--not many got wet. took a hot bath but my bones ache so I am probably heading up for another soak. just all around crappy day for me.

Yes, very pretty! I so need a soap room!

I'm so excited for my soap room.... I WAS soaping in the garage. Sharing room with the flies and wasps. The only issue with the new soap room is that is is not attached to the house, so in Montana winter I will have to walk thru snow and yuck. But then again, at least it will be heated...the garage isn't heated. And this is going to be my first winter soaping...

had market today--what I thought was going to be a good one turned into my first skunk :( plus it was 59 degrees the whole time--I finally packed up and left when it started raining. I did have one lady walk up and tell me the soap she bought from me a couple weeks ago turned her washcloth black and she will be bringing it back for a different bar. I got all the soaps out to dry off when I got home--not many got wet. took a hot bath but my bones ache so I am probably heading up for another soak. just all around crappy day for me.
Oh Marilyn so sorry your day turned out poopy.... :(

Brrrrr. Here’s hoping for a better day next time.

Been a while but finally made soap tonight. An Interesting combo of a soap with Laurel Fruit Oil and Neem oil in the recipe. I dont have to worry about discoloring because those two oils made the batter brown all by themselves. I didnt worry about my yogurt discoloring when I added it either. Im just hoping the oatmeal milk and honey FO covers up at least some of the smells of those two oils.

I don't think Ruthie will answer. She was last seen here in 2017.

If you look up shampoo in the search bar, you'll find plenty of discussions around the subject as well as an equal number of opinions, depending on what you're looking for.
Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. I’m new to this forum and haven’t quite got it down yet.
I appreciate you letting me know about Ruthie.

Well, yesterday I ordered 22 FO samples. Darn you sales! lol

And then I ordered 45 lbs of KOH.
I can only hope you are making liquid soap and not bar soap with your KOH

I have a disclosure on my labels to not use light-colored washcloths with handmade soaps. Especially dark soaps. With charcoal soaps, I warn customers to not use a $20 white washcloth.

Aw .. I'm sorry you had a bad day.:(

Latest posts

Back