What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhhh.such beautiful soap! They really do look like stones.....river rocks! I've never polished my soaps before, but i want to try it after seeing yours, scard! :)
I attempted to make soap frosting so I could practice my piping techniques. I have some Russian piping tips and they are amazing! My frosting, however, was not. :( I think the recipe was fine...but the heat kept it from setting up properly. Ended up scooping most of it back into some IC molds, and kept a few flowers that actually looked like....something that might be a flower. LOL Tonight I made a sweet almond soap, (also with palm, palm kernel, coconut, castor and cocoa butter, along with heavy cream, aloe vera juice, and SWA infused with chamomile, calendula and tulsi rose tea.) Whitened it with a bit of zinc, titanium dioxide and made 2 other colors. It is now in the freezer. Sure hope it will feel gentle on the skin when it's cured. It was a fun 2 hours of soaping! But the heat surely is bad for soaping.....and breathing, moving around, and basically living. I hope the rest of you in hotter climates are surviving this crazy heat! Soapy hugs sent off to all the gals and guys here at SMF!

I made my first CP soap today! :dance: I've been doing M&P and rebatch for years, always thinking "someday." And today was the day! I have a little silicone mold that will make a pound or so, so it's not overwhelming (I don't sell my soap, so my hope is to do small batches of a lot of different fragrances and recipes) and my little loaf of soap has hardened nicely and it will come out of the mold tomorrow.

This is so exciting!

I made my first CP soap today! :dance: I've been doing M&P and rebatch for years, always thinking "someday." And today was the day! I have a little silicone mold that will make a pound or so, so it's not overwhelming (I don't sell my soap, so my hope is to do small batches of a lot of different fragrances and recipes) and my little loaf of soap has hardened nicely and it will come out of the mold tomorrow.

This is so exciting!
Congrats!! Be sure to post pictures when you unmold and cut!

Got myself into the shop and made 3 new molds from PVC lumber. Super easy to keep clean. I also cut acrylic dividers to fit them.
Y'all may think I'm crazy, but I've wondered if I could pour these without a liner but insert a piece of dental floss before the pour and use it to free the loaf from the sides to unmold. Is that nuts?

No technically a "today" thing, but yesterday, I poured my standard-ish recipe (coconut, palm, olive, tallow, castor, safflower) but used hemp milk for the added liquid above my 50/50 LW.

https://www.amazon.com/PACIFIC-FOOD...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It didn;t seem to affect trace, and I didn't notice any discoloration. Anybody used it before? I've been using aloe vera most of the summer instead of coconut milk...I like them both very much. All three are WAY less fussy than goat's milk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all may think I'm crazy, but I've wondered if I could pour these without a liner but insert a piece of dental floss before the pour and use it to free the loaf from the sides to unmold. Is that nuts?

I used my store bought one without a liner until I poured too thin trace once haha plus I like being able to take it out of the mold even if I cant take the liner off---it pacifies me a bit

I had a couple people test my lotion bars I made yesterday and they went over big time. so I am making more for my Saturday market. now I need to run the heat gun over my soap and load up the car for the market today. wont be making soap for a week :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember where I left off, so apologies if I repeat myself (truly if you could see my life right now you would wonder how I manage to remember to put pants on...)
I made my batch of Nag Champa. I used BCN's vanilla stabilizer at 1.5:1 stabilizer to FO ratio. Last time I made Nag Champa with the VS at 1:1 and it still had some darkening, so I wanted to see if a slight increase would keep the bright colors. It did, but unfortunately the really chemically smell of the VS is also there. Crossing my fingers it will cure out.
I made a test batch of shampoo bars using SCI noodles. Not sure I like the recipe after washing my hair, but I'll give it a few days.
I made two batches of bubble bars, but one batch broke when I was unmolding. I smooshed it into a bag, so I'm hoping I'll be able to remold it tonight.

I want to make a eucalyptus rain soap, but I'm not sure I have enough MB - I have a partial bucket each of two different recipes that might add up to enough oils, I've just been too lazy to figure out how much of each I have and plug it into the calculator. Otherwise the next soapy project is making a small batch of cupcakes... but I haven't recovered from my last batch failing yet. And I need to buy piping bags. [that's my story and I'm sticking to it].

I do need to run to Walmart to pick up a new crockpot as my old one failed a routine gravity check. (read: I accidentally knocked it off the table and it shattered on my concrete floor.) I need to make another batch of mechanic's scrub soap (basically I rebatch my soap bevel scraps and add pumice) as this last batch sold really well. People liked the orange scent in it better than the unscented. Sigh. I'll probably have to pick up some piping bags then too.

I unmolded my first salt bars. I let them sit for 12 hours and tried to unmold one. I lost a few nubs. So I let it sit till after work today and tried to unmold another. Lost less nubs, but decided to take @Dawni advice and pop them in the freezer. The last two came out without breaking after that. The individual molds were easy.

I did 75% of oils for the salt. I used lavender & frankincense essential oils for the fragrance. I think I'm going to keep all of these for myself. They look pretty good. I can't wait for the cure so I can try them. I have never even tried a salt bar made by someone else. :)

Attachments

• Salt_Bars.jpg
    Salt_Bars.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 32
I unmolded my first salt bars. I let them sit for 12 hours and tried to unmold one. I lost a few nubs. So I let it sit till after work today and tried to unmold another. Lost less nubs, but decided to take @Dawni advice and pop them in the freezer. The last two came out without breaking after that. The individual molds were easy.

I did 75% of oils for the salt. I used lavender & frankincense essential oils for the fragrance. I think I'm going to keep all of these for myself. They look pretty good. I can't wait for the cure so I can try them. I have never even tried a salt bar made by someone else. :)
Those look so cute! Too bad about the nubs.. Sucks when that happens. I can't wait to try mine either but I've already hidden some of em for the 1yr recommended cure lol

Those look so cute! Too bad about the nubs.. Sucks when that happens. I can't wait to try mine either but I've already hidden some of em for the 1yr recommended cure lol
A year?!? I have to wait a year?:( Do you have any idea how many salt bars will likely be in my house one year from now :lol: They were too much fun to make!

Back