What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After nearly a year without soap making I am finally back to it, and, with no surprise, loving it!
This weekend I tried something I wanted to try for quite a while: I used rice bran wax.
Still don't know the result, but it did mix well with the oils and nothing went wrong :D So, I am looking forward to see how the soap will turn!

ok here is the cut,, Vanillin content is over 10 so this brown is going to get much darker but the white will stay because its unscented. I am hoping it will make the white much more prominent.

cbc.jpg

I cut my hombre green peppermint soap from yesterday. It was a little thicker than I would have liked for the pour so my layers are pretty obvious, but I still like it. It did get a partial gel on about half of the bars. They are just for my own use though so not a big deal. My house smells nice and pepperminty today.
Love the color gradient. Pretty!

ok here is the cut,, Vanillin content is over 10 so this brown is going to get much darker but the white will stay because its unscented. I am hoping it will make the white much more prominent.

View attachment 41143

that is gorgeous--I hope the vanilla doesn't eat up the white. how is your back feeling?

that is gorgeous--I hope the vanilla doesn't eat up the white. how is your back feeling?

I left the white unscented so fingers crossed. My Back is still obnoxious. Finally found a dr who gets it and gave me something to help me sleep at night. at least I dont have exhaustion as well as pain. I see a chiropractor tomorrow.

View attachment 41143
Super nice. It will be interesting to see how the color changes. I hope you will post it again when it gets darker. I’m just starting to learn about using FOs that have vanillin.

After nearly a year without soap making I am finally back to it, and, with no surprise, loving it!
This weekend I tried something I wanted to try for quite a while: I used rice bran wax.
Still don't know the result, but it did mix well with the oils and nothing went wrong :D So, I am looking forward to see how the soap will turn!
Wow! Where did you find that? Let us know how it turns out.

I had soap making paralysis this weekend. I have so many new things I want to try that I couldn't decide - and now it's too late to do anything. Want to try a castile. Want to try a salt bar. Want to try using embeds. Want to try another shaving soap. Need to make some lotions, conditioners, and shampoo. Ugh ... I wish I didn't have project ADD. Back to the grind tomorrow and have to figure out which box I'm going to tick off the list next weekend. :hairpulling:

I'm waiting on my oils and lye solution to cool down before I make a soap that I'm thinking of calling "Sunburned Zebra". I wanted to do a black-and-white soap, but kept thinking of the joke that goes: "What's black and white and red all over? A sunburned zebra!". When I settled on my FO, "Black Cherry BOMB" from Nature's Garden, I knew I had to incorporate red in there somehow. I asked my son if he thought I should use glitter, and he said he did...and picked out Be Scented's "Gold Dust" biodegradable glitter. Should be fun!

Did soap dishes.
Packaged and labeled 62 bars of soap.
Scrubbed soap dungeon floor.
Photographed soap. (still need to edit photos)
Might make soap tonight when I get home from work. Feeling itchy to make something.

Still don't know the result but it did mix well with the oils and nothing went wrong :D So, I am looking forward to see how the soap will turn!
I'd be interested in your results, especially regarding hardness and longevity. I've seen rice bran wax from a local supplier but haven't inquired about it. What's SAP value did you use?

Lined 4 soap molds.
Put away clean soap dishes.
Measured out oils for vegan test batches.
Made first vegan test batch. I did not get around to MB lye for vegan test batches, so I used fresh. Soap went beautifully so now I am rethinking the whole MB lye thing. Might just be better for my recipe (it moves very fast) to use fresh lye and be able to do the designs I want. It has been a year or more since I made the switch to MB lye, and I feel I've done nothing but struggle with even simple ITPS or hanger swirls. Might still do some MB lye for layered soaps and cupcakes (things that take more time anyways), but I'm going to try a few more batches with fresh lye again. [just thinking outloud a bit here, sorry]

Cut some soap which was either too soft or maybe just too full of air bubbles, it broke apart. Kneaded some of it into an ugly but usable shape.

Ordered silicone soap moulds! One for a small loaf, makes 4-5 bars or so, and one ”tall and skinny”. I’m looking forward to not lining molds so much! Not because it’s so much work, but because I always end up with rounded corners and wrinkly sides.

Latest posts

Back